Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from Jackman, we went up late Friday night and then rode all day Saturday. We made the trip from Jackman over to Rockwood and back...what a trip that is. Nice wide open dirt road style trails until you get out of the Jackman trail system then it gets a little bit rough...The maps say 40 miles...but its closer to 50 miles. We had done some riding around prior to deciding to head for Rockwood...so about 15 miles from Rockwood my display was flashing FUEL. It started flashing around 60 miles...I decided at 70 to stop and pour in what I had in my gas can. My buddies 800 with 27in Mud Lites still had 2 bars on his guage...and he was riding 2up with his wife, plus he was really riding it hard speading up, slowing down, playing in the mud...I couldn't believe that his machine still had so much gas when mine was about out...he was definitely riding A LOT harder than I was. I thought the 800's were suppose to be hard on gas?? His is doing a lot better than my 500 even with his oversized tires and hard riding style.

The trails were pretty good...it was really dusty though. There are some deeper water crossings along the way and some pretty rough rocky areas. There was a guy that passed us on a little blaster...I have no clue how he was making it through some of that stuff on such a little machine.

Those of you planning to make the trip that haven't before should definitely bring gas and plan to make a good day trip out of it. Plenty of wildlife to see but nothing else between Jackman and Rockwood. Inexperienced riders might have a tough time in some places...There is a pretty steep hill that is very rocky...I was a little nervous about it because my wife was driving her wheeler and doesn't have a lot of experience in those types of conditions.

I forgot my camera in the hotel room of course so I don't have any pictures from the trip...which sucks because there are some amazing views once you get over toward Rockwood!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
We where there three weeks ago!!

Are you talking about the hill going into the Forks? Up steep and rocky.
For the past two years we have wanted to go out to Moose Head Lake, but its too much for the wives. That's 120 Miles in a day... We average 75 a day and they are tired and sore...

Roger that on the beauty, wildlife and breath taking views in the area.

We are heading back up in two weeks for another weeks riding, I can hardly wait!!

CW

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think we are going to head back up again in a couple weekends as well. The hill I mentioned is actually out toward Rockwood...when you head out that way you'll come into a system of trails that is maintained by the Blue Ridge Riders or something along those lines...

How are the trails that go down to the Forks? Are they mostly the dirtroad type trails or do they turn into a rougher ride? I like the dirtroad trails but they get boring...so having them turn into a little bit and slower riding is fun.

I'm also interested in taking the trails up to Pittson Farm...I've always wanted to do that ride but everyone I ride with cries about how long of a ride it is going to be lol.

·
Registered
764 Posts
We where there three weeks ago!!

Are you talking about the hill going into the Forks? Up steep and rocky.
For the past two years we have wanted to go out to Moose Head Lake, but its too much for the wives. That's 120 Miles in a day... We average 75 a day and they are tired and sore...

Roger that on the beauty, wildlife and breath taking views in the area.

We are heading back up in two weeks for another weeks riding, I can hardly wait!!

CW
that looks like a beautiful place to ride, nice pics. we're heading to colorado on wednesday!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I think we are going to head back up again in a couple weekends as well. The hill I mentioned is actually out toward Rock wood...when you head out that way you'll come into a system of trails that is maintained by the Blue Ridge Riders or something along those lines...

How are the trails that go down to the Forks? Are they mostly the dirt-road type trails or do they turn into a rougher ride? I like the dirt-road trails but they get boring...so having them turn into a little bit and slower riding is fun.

I'm also interested in taking the trails up to Pittston Farm...I've always wanted to do that ride but everyone I ride with cries about how long of a ride it is going to be lol.
We are heading up on the 14Th.

The trails to The Forks are open for the most part but get rough as you get close. That hill is a steep one. Nice trails there.

We haven't made it to Pittston Farm yet either... Got to the first outlook but the weather took a bad turn so we didn't want to risk it being 50 miles out with our ladies...
We will be getting there one day and will be going back to Canada as we learned of a supposed beautiful waterfall about 1/4 mile off the trail.

Ransom,
Colorado, really... Now I'M the one who is envious!!! Take and post pics!!!!

BTW, Lots of video clips of the trails up in Jackamn, in my UTube account, http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee

CW

·
Registered
764 Posts
the good part with living in the midwest is being able to go east or west to ride....the only bad part is that we don't have that much good riding around here! i'll take some pics and check out your videos.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Great area. We are heading up again this weekend for a week. Same place great people at Cedar!

CW

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I would love to come ride that area but it is a long way from East Texas. I do get 4 weeks vacation a year though.

Ronnie

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Looking at heading up there in oct. any good recommendations for campgrounds or cabins?
Absolutely!!

Call Hal and Deb Blood at Cedar ridge outfitters right in Jackman! You can access the trails right from the cabins. You can also now ride into town on public roads. GReAT people!! Them them you here it here!!

CW

Deb and Hal Blood
Cedar Ridge Outfitters
36 Attean Rd
Jackman Maine
207-668-4169

1 - 10 of 10 Posts