Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Sportsman XP1000S
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got the base plate installed on my 1000S model . To re enforce the framework under the front differential .

I had a skilled welder get it attached properly to the frame . And then bolted in the diff at 37 ft lbs .
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design
Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Electric blue Pattern

·
Registered
443 Posts
Only thing I'd have done differently is not weld it all the way around. The metal around the welds is weaker than the weld itself and can crack if there is enough flexing....1" stitch welds all the way around would have been better, but looks good other than that.

Reactions: Xpialidocious

·
Premium Member
2021 Sportsman XP1000S
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only thing I'd have done differently is not weld it all the way around. The metal around the welds is weaker than the weld itself and can crack if there is enough flexing....1" stitch welds all the way around would have been better, but looks good other than that.
Thanks
I’ll definitely remember to request that on the scrambler I plan to get ! It will need the same mod

Reactions: Coloradoracer

·
Registered
790 Posts
Long time Certified MIG & TIG welder here. I wouldn't give a thought to welding it all the way around as it is. You have a little more rigidity and the HAV (Heat Affected Zone) on a weldment like that is not a single thing to worry about. If it were mine I would have welded it fully as it is. Now welding 100% like that on some things is an issue but I would bet the farm this is not one of those problematic issues. Just my $.02 and I've welded a hell of a lot of things from NASCAR parts to aerospace to automotive, to entertainment venue to military to you can just about name it. No boiler stuff but everything else. It's been some years since I use to do that but I know steel and aluminum MIG & TIG welding pretty damn well.

·
Premium Member
04 Sportsman 700, 04 Scrambler 500, 04 trail touring 550 sled
1,346 Posts
Long time Certified MIG & TIG welder here. I wouldn't give a thought to welding it all the way around as it is. You have a little more rigidity and the HAV (Heat Affected Zone) on a weldment like that is not a single thing to worry about. If it were mine I would have welded it fully as it is. Now welding 100% like that on some things is an issue but I would bet the farm this is not one of those problematic issues. Just my $.02 and I've welded a hell of a lot of things from NASCAR parts to aerospace to automotive, to entertainment venue to military to you can just about name it. No boiler stuff but everything else. It's been some years since I use to do that but I know steel and aluminum MIG & TIG welding pretty damn well.
I’m 15 and will be certified in mig and tig by the end of next year. Hoping to kind of do what you’ve done for a living… weld just about anything that needs welded. Me and my dad and brother are currently fabbing up a 6x4 single axle dump cart and I’m getting a ton of practice on that.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I’m 15 and will be certified in mig and tig by the end of next year. Hoping to kind of do what you’ve done for a living… weld just about anything that needs welded. Me and my dad and brother are currently fabbing up a 6x4 single axle dump cart and I’m getting a ton of practice on that.
Very cool! I was a Manufacturing Engineer for a couple of different prototype manufacturing companies years ago. It involved a lot of design, machining, stamping, fabrication, tool building, and of course lots of welding both manually and robotically. Being a welder alone isn't much of a good paying profession unless your welding boiler or marine welding. Make sure to gain more skills / trades as you move forward but it sounds like you are well on your way! Skilled trades are the backbone of this country. I'm a white collar guy in my profession now but you never forget your roots and the skills you've learned. I'm still always fabricating and tinkering all the time.

·
Super Moderator
15,147 Posts
Yep. I agree with pc. Stay curious. Explore new things. Try to learn something new every day. You'll never be bored and you'll be rewarded both financially and mentally.
A wise old man told me many years ago... "Do what you love and you'll never have to work again." Took me a long time to fully understand or appreciate his advice. Couldn't be any clearer to me now. (y)

·
Premium Member
04 Sportsman 700, 04 Scrambler 500, 04 trail touring 550 sled
1,346 Posts
Yep. I agree with pc. Stay curious. Explore new things. Try to learn something new every day. You'll never be bored and you'll be rewarded both financially and mentally.
A wise old man told me many years ago... "Do what you love and you'll never have to work again." Took me a long time to fully understand or appreciate his advice. Couldn't be any clearer to me now. (y)
Yep. I plan on getting a bachelors in some kind of engineering as soon as I graduate and I’m doing a two year course in manufacturing and machining at my highschool’s boces kind of program to see if I like it. I also consider myself pretty good with mechanic and car kind of stuff but I’m not shooting for any certifications in that since it may be a dying field here soon and it’s hard work for low pay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts