Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live a couple hours away from jccapri and have been talking to him about bushings. I got a complete set of chassis bushings for my Scrambler, but he didn't make shock bushings for the Fox shocks...well he does now!

I met Jon (jccapri) at a truck stop in between us about a month ago and he measured the bushings on my Fox shocks. There was nothing strange about the size of the bushings, but the odd (stupid) double sleeve setup on the Fox shocks gave him pause. He decided to eliminate it and make a replacement sleeve the same OD as the chassis sleeves. He made a set of trial bushings of different sizes and I tried them out and we decided on the best bushing size and sleeve length. The sleeve length is critical so the sleeve will be held tight without compressing against the side of the bushings. Jon made a final set of bushings and sent them to me last week. I just got them changed out today and they are spot on. Snug in the body of the shock and the new sleeve is very snug in the bushings. With the sleeve held tight and the bushing rotating with shock movement they should free up a little over time, but this set-up in far superior to the stupid double sleeve set-up that comes on the Fox shocks.

Hit him up for bushings for your LE Scrambler, you won't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
10,349 Posts
jccapri is a great asset to the Polaris community. along with guys like rick cecco, ridinagain, and john over at guru they really have put forth a great effort in helping the Polaris community get the most out of our rides.

Louisiana I have some questions about the fox shocks that come on the le's, what do u think of them and which stage elka's would u say they are comparable to? also are they enough of a shock to handle aggressive trail riding, i.e. hill climbing, rock crawling, and trail rocks and ruts? or are these type of higher end shocks more geared for higher speeds and better handling at speed?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Louisiana I have some questions about the fox shocks that come on the le's, what do u think of them and which stage elka's would u say they are comparable to? also are they enough of a shock to handle aggressive trail riding, i.e. hill climbing, rock crawling, and trail rocks and ruts? or are these type of higher end shocks more geared for higher speeds and better handling at speed?
I'd say these shocks are not comparable to an Elka model. They have a compression adjuster on top, but lack the rebound adjustment that you get on the Stage 4 Elka. Rebound is key when dialing in shocks to go fast, it seems like a stupid omission to me, especially for the rear shocks. These shocks are geared more for aggressive trail riding, they are comfortable and give you great articulation in off-chamber situations, but fall short when the speed goes up. They just aren't valved stiff enough to do well at higher speeds. I race my Scrambler in a local XC series and have tried everything to stiffen these Fox shocks. I took them to a shock guy with a good reputation, he took them apart, all the pieces are there like they're supposed to be, but they are odd-ball sizes that aren't industry standard. In other words, you can't change the valving. I added stiffer springs to counteract the body roll I get at higher speeds and the frontend dive on hard braking. I thought this was the ticket until I got it in a race with some nasty high speed whoops and almost endoed several times because the stock rebound setting was too fast for the stiffer springs, the end result was that I had to back off the throttle to save my back-side. I went back to stock springs after that race. I have found another shock guy that is willing to take a shot at altering the valving so I plan to send them to him this week.

On the trail, they are great shocks and I wouldn't ever have an issue with them if I were exclusively a trail rider. As a racer, they fall far short of the mark.

·
Premium Member
10,349 Posts
good to know. thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Ya thanks guys. The aftermarket fox podiums FROM Fox would probably be a better set up. The stock foxes also seem a little soft when it comes to jumping the Scrammy.

·
Registered
531 Posts
all balls makes a set of bearing replacements for the A arm bushings.. same price as the stock rubber bushings anyone ever tried them?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts