Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has only 300 km on it (approx 250miles), looks like new. Great price, came with plow and passenger seat.

Any advice for how to use / maintain. I pick it up today.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Great machine, did he get you dealer maintenance records, if not I would do a quick tuneup, change the oil, diff fluids and inspect the air filter and wash the prefilter. I would also buy a trickle charger for the battery, it seemed my old atv's burned through batteries every 2 years, I have only had mine for 2 years so I do not know how well the trickle charger will extend my batteries life, but I hear it should at least ad a couple years. I also recommend hand warmers, which are very easy to install and only like $40. They are great for plowing or cold morning rides and being you live in Canada you will have both, LOL..

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Good call on the trickle charger lollygagger.. I have used one for 3 years now on my 850 touring and the battery is as good as new.. I also second inspecting all of the fluids and at least changing the oil.. I went over the top with early oil changes on my 850.. I did it at 200km's - 600 km's and 800km's.. I didn't bother with a warranty so I figured clean oil is the least I can do to give my motor the best chance at longevity.. So far so good 3 years later.. The 1st change I was actually pretty surprised at how much sludge was on the grain plug magnet.. Beyond that.. Grease the heck out of it.. Fluids and grease are the keys to trouble free riding.. Before you inevitelbly ask the question.. There are 19 grease points on your machine.. Find them all and get some grease in there..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it. The one item the quad doesn't have is EPS. I thought about it and decided to get it anyway. How big a deal is EPS on a machine that size?

·
Registered
417 Posts
well it's not too bad. Less to mess up. Hard to turn sitting still but once you get going it's not bad

12 850EPS Short bus edition

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Well the ergonomics of the xp line are pretty good, so I hear steering without EPS is not terrible, I had a value line before and would get sore, now I can ride for days and still feel good! One of those things, once you get it you will never go without it, if you never had it, prolly not a big deal..

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Get A-arm guards.
http://www.ricochetoffroad.com/
There is a grease zerk on the prop shaft that a lot of people cant find (part of the 19). Di-electric grease all electrical connections and spark plug boot.

The non EPS Xp's are very easy to steer, Until a few years ago believe it or not that's what everyone had.....My 110lbs 5'2" fiance can ride my 550 with ease so a grown man should not have any trouble. Don't worry about it, This forum is obsessed with a few things, EPS,Bighorns,HID lights and GURU bumpers..Where I live no one speaks about any of those products (the EPS debate I have heard a cpl times) but on here they are the holy grail, every forum has there niche.

:beerchug:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check to see if Walmart carries your battery. They have a return policy on batteries, if you have a reciept. They will take it back. Trickle chargers are also good. Ebay has them for like $20.

·
Registered
619 Posts
This forum is obsessed with a few things, EPS,Bighorns,HID lights and GURU bumpers..
Hahaha, true, true.. This forum has sophisticated tastes. All great products for sure but none of which are necessary by any means to thoroughly use, enjoy, or maintain your machine. I ride all day with no EPS, and I've never felt my arms getting tired or sore during the ride. Though it is real impressive how easily you can steer an EPS machine- they're not kidding when they say you can steer it with your pinky.

You can add EPS to your machine for like $500-600 now anyway, if you decide you must have it. I would definitely get hand and thumb warmers, though, without a doubt. They're a luxury, bordering on necessity.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a 500HO Sportsman with no power steering. I don't think I needed it. But, I went all out when I purchased my 2013 850 XP EPS LE. It was standard. I'll be going to VT with it, so we'll see if I need warmers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts