Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a 570. Super stoked! I ride a lot of ATV rentals for work and decided it was the right time to get one for some off road fun after work hours. 570 was the right price for my needs and a super deal. My question is this- how important is a winch? I will be doing some solo rides with me and the lady in the mountains of colorado and some riding with buds. Not going to push the envelope too much but I could see a situation where is could save my a$$ as I tend to do stupid things on occasion. Just wondering how critical it is. And if I need one is it safe to buy a 130$ winch off ebay or do i need to spend $$$? See link below. Thanks for the advice!

2500lb Pound Winch Kit ATV Quad Polaris Sportsman 400 500 550 570 800 850 HO | eBay

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
No need to spend huge $$ on one. 2500-3500 lbs is plenty. Lots of options and most are decent for the 1/3 of he price of a warn. The winch in the ebay listing looks like a harbor freight. You can get them directly for about 80$.
If your going to be alone it is a must

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
that winch looks exactly like the one at Harbor Frieght...the one on Harbor frieght is 59.00 now on sale ....you would just have to buy a winch mount for your 570....from either Warn or KFI...

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you plan to ride solo I think it is a must. I put one on both my wifes and my xp, sometimes a strap isn't enough. I have good luck with viper winches from motoalliance. I believe they are a sponsor on this site as well.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I will be going with a WARN on my 550... the WARN on my Jeep and 700 have been bulletproof but get a winch if you plan to ride alone at any point.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I haven't owned one, but I have heard of zero complaints regarding the Harbor Freight/Badlands brand winch. Seems I read more complaints about "real" winches than HF.

I personally have a Viper Max with no problems. Only suggestion I have that I changed on mine is the winch switch on the handlebar screws rust instantly. I swapped them out for stainless steel.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Not that it won't be a decent winch from HF...but there have been a few members in threads that have had to get them replaced after a year. I'd look for HF model that claims to be a waterproof if they have one.

I only hope current WARN winches are as durable as my trusty 10 year old 3.0CE on my 700.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yes the #3500 HF claims to be water proof....I have a new #3500 one now,,but I have a 2500 thats 5 years old now on my suzuki..its been in the elements alot...and its exposed they way its mounted..never a prob..never froze in the cold from water getting in it..so it seems good in the water proof area...it gets used alot...dragging wood out from out back...pulling brush up...plowing ..

·
Registered
27 Posts
I stated earlier I had a Promark Winch. But I certainly wouldn't be afraid of the Harbour Freight winches. You could buy the extended warranty & still come out cheaper than ur well known brands. And have a better & longer warranty! If mine ever craps out, that'll be what I'll do

·
Registered
679 Posts
Venom winch on my 550. 4 years and still going. Every time I plow I ask myself, "is this the last plowing session before this thing craps out?" It just keeps going....My next will be HF 3500lb'er.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
if you get on the HF mailing...you get the sales...I got one and the 3500# was on sale for 99.00..plus they honored a 20% off coupon....so I got the 3 year warranty for 29.00..was till ahead of the game....

·
Registered
125 Posts
I love my harbor freight 3500 it does the job everytime!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just put one on my 570,RUNVA 2.5 rope winch,150.00 on ebay great winch,comes with everything but mount.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts