Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought it today - have to wait until Monday to pick it up (could not get to the registries office in time to get plates for it this afternoon :disappointed:

Feeling good about our decision; we were very close to going for a 570 RZR Base model and adding roof, doors, box, RZR-Wrap (hated the red plastic look), winch, etc etc etc. Gave serious consideration to an 800 RZR-S LTD, it was a $4,500 upgrade over the base model. With the RZR's I'd need to buy a deck for the back of my truck ($2500-3500). The 850 Pearl White LE 850 was close to the same price as the base RZR, before accessories.

But enough with what could have been.

I am having the dealer install a Polaris winch, and apart from some snazzy Polaris Helmets and a loading ramp for the back of my truck I don't see lots of dollars going into accessories for the quad. I am going to get a pair of mirrors for it, and will be reading about what other goodies forum users recommend.

I will be looking through this forum to see if anyone has designed a ramp to put into the back of my truck (2010 RAM 2500 Megacab with short 76" box). It will fit with the gate down, and I think the back tires will still be in the box, not on the gate - someone correct me if I'm wrong on this - I suppose I could pick up a couple of 2x10 planks to take the weight off the gate if those back tires do rest on the tailgate. I also have the option of just driving it home as the dealer is not far off the local "the iron horse trail" an abandoned rail line which is part of the transcanada trail system, and I live across the street from the same trail.

Can't wait to hit the tail riding on my new toy. :slomo:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Have fun and if you're like me you'll like riding a quad more than you'd like driving a RZR anyway so... good choice:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Congrats on the buy. I bought my new toy a couple months ago. Only 1 regret I took into cosideration my uses but not my situation (so wound up I forgot my boy likes to come along too and he is 3). I put on a rear seat but in retrospect should have bought a Ranger more secure for him. Have fun out there!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on the buy. I bought my new toy a couple months ago. Only 1 regret I took into cosideration my uses but not my situation (so wound up I forgot my boy likes to come along too and he is 3). I put on a rear seat but in retrospect should have bought a Ranger more secure for him. Have fun out there!!
If our grandson lived close by we would have leaned more to the RZR too, but he lives 3,000 miles away :( .

·
Super Moderator
6,960 Posts
I think your rear tires will probably be sitting on your tailgate. That is fine for a short drive, but over time it will start to pull the mounts out where the support cables attach to the bed. What I used to do is attach a ratchet strap on each side of the tailgate and hook them into an attachment point near the top of the bed and snug them up to relieve some of the pressure from the cables. Seemed to work pretty good for me.
The next big purchase you will want to make will be a good set of tires. The OEM work ok on smooth, dry trails, but they are lacking when it comes to serious riding, mud and snow. If you upgrade tires early on, usually you can get a decent price selling the OEM tires. I worked out a trade at the dealer and had a new set of Bighorns on and paid $250 for them with the trade.
Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Touring in a Short Box

Fortunately the rear tires on the Ŝportsman Touring do not rest on the tailgate, I think you can see this in the following photo. It still hangs out and I cannot close the tailgate - to do that I will need to get risers and carry the quad on a steep angle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You'll probably want to look into installing overfenders/fender extenders. On the touring edition a TON of mud flies up off the back tires and lands on the rear seat...your wife/gf will be covered in mud. I can't even mount a GoPro on the back fender because it just gets covered.

But on a Sportsman 400...camera stays perfectly clean on the back fender.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would not add any fender extensions. They are wide enough. I have to go where the youngsters go (i am 57) and I some times scrape. I don't want to scrape but i also don't want to be left behind or called old man.
My wife gets all mudded up. I never asked her if she minded. Come to think of it, maybe she will get tired of all of the mud and stay home and let me do more shenanigan riding with the guys.
I love my touring. Lots of power, great ride.
Enjoy your new toy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fenders

You'll probably want to look into installing overfenders/fender extenders. On the touring edition a TON of mud flies up off the back tires and lands on the rear seat...your wife/gf will be covered in mud. I can't even mount a GoPro on the back fender because it just gets covered.

But on a Sportsman 400...camera stays perfectly clean on the back fender.
Oh dear - but I suppose that only applies if you take your machine into the mud - and my wife/gf had me wipe down the dust and coffee that was spilt onto the back fender after our little ride. I may regret getting a white ATV - I can see lots of cleaning in my future to keep it that way. Will ask about the fender extensions - or I may find that I'm riding in the backseat. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts