Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2qt Mobil1 Full Synthetic 0/40 and a Purolator filter.
So I'll see this weekend if it works and how well in my 2012 850 Touring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How can you tell if it works? If it blows up or not? I have been running it for a couple years in my 550 and it does just fine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. The Purolator filter comes down a little further than others.
I run pretty hard and haft to change it around every 70 hours.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Wise choice Grasshopper!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
You should not have any problems at all. My paper mill used Mobil oil and greases in everything there. That place ran 24/7, unless a line was plugged or a seal went out oil related failures did not occur.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've been running Mobil1 0w40 and a Purolator filter, I forget the part number, but it had the same number of holes and they were the same size as the Polaris filter. Got it at Walmart.

I trust Mobil1. More engines use Mobil1 than Polaris oil worldwide... And it's about $20 cheaper per oil change for me to use Mobil1 and Purolator vs. the oil change kit from the dealer. Gotta love Alaska markups!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Oh no.... you've switched over to the dark side. Now all of the Polaris oil "believers" will dis-own you!! :rofl: But I hope it "works" for you..... and doesn't blow up! :D

I also run Mobil1 0W40 and Purolator # _14610 (3.5" Long) filters on both our Sportmans..... not to mention Mobil1 & Purolator in/on both the daily drivers.

As for cost savings..... At Walmart I can pick up a 5qrt jug of Mobil1 0W40 @ $25.17 and a Purolator filter (L14610) @ $3.27 each (X2) = $31.71 + tax to change the oil twice or on two machines once, and have a quart left over if needed (you do the math :D ). Now at my local dealer a "Polaris Oil Change Kit".... with the "magic" blue bottles for $34.99 each (X2) = $69.98 + tax. So $69.98 - $31.71 = $32.27 of savings over two oil changes or two machines each time (in my case)..... now I generally do a minimum of two oil changes (or more, depending on amount of use) each year. So in a years time I can sae $32.27 x 2 = $64.54 !! To me that's well worth it!! No to mention it's likely just as good, if not a better oil than the "re-labled / re-branded" Polaris oil from Lubrication Technologies (Minnesota). Lube-Tech

Although I have seen that Lube Tech also sells Mobil1...... Hmmm..... who really makes what? Maybe Polaris branded oil and Mobil1 are also one in the same?? Kinda like the old Tootsie Pop commercials..... "how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop? Ah...1....Ah...2....Ah...3....CRUNCH..... I guess the world may never know!!!!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
you will have no problems with the Mobil 1..good oil....I run it in the GF honda CRV...I been using the Rotella T6 in the quads sine when on sale its 16.99 a gallon at the farm store...works good also....If i see that sale on Mobil 1 i would get it...loll....My 87 suzuki lt250 4x4 runs good on the Shell...and its air cooled....so may as well use on both quads since i have it here...my 02 sport 500 runs good on it..and starts right up in cold weather....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I run Mobil 1 in my daily driver and nothing else. I would like to get the 5 quart deal from walmart.

I can't imagine that any oil is much better or at least enough to make a difference. Also I could use some money savings too.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Mobil one and puralator are way easier to come by and cheaper than the Polaris stuff. I can pick up an oil change at midnight at my local Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
39 Posts
so why would everyone use mobil1 oil and purolator filter. why not spend $2 more and use the mobil 1 m1-110 filter? I use mobil 1 oil and filters in my truck and 4 wheelers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I live here in New England and was wondering what weight of mobile1 I should use?? I have a sportsman 500 HO and how do I figure out which Purolator filter to get? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
sampson ..the Mobil 1 0-40 will do you well...perfect for our area with the temps...machines run good on it..lots here use it...

oil filters you can use

Recommended filters.
All have superior
filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.

Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3300, about $6.
Made by Champion.
Wal-Mart SuperTech ST6607
Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.

Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3323, about $6.
Made By Champion.
WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
about $2. Made by Champion.
Purolator L14612
Purolator L14610 (longer one)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Also use Mobile 1 0-40 synthetic and a NAPA gold filter. Maybe save 8 dollars but closest polaris dealer is 60 miles away.

·
Registered
73 Posts
M1 & napa gold on mine. Change every 25-30hrs. I'm a maintenance stickler. Rather maintain early than fix later. Been serving me just fine.

·
Registered
455 Posts
and the purolator filter is a pretty blue that matches my quads nicely lol not that it matters...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts