Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was riding with some friends today and my machine just died and quit and wont start again.

I have a 1994 Polaris 2X4 400L

2 stroke if you didn't know that, What happened was it stalled on the trail. When I hit the starter it sounded like it would click and not turn over very much like the battery was dead...or almost like something was stuck(I am hoping that was not the issue) We continued to try and clean the terminals and it seemed as though it would turn over once in awhile. So we took the battery out of my friends machine and installed it and it turned over well just would not start, as though we had fouled the plug. We got it to start once and it dogged like crazy and then we just gave up and said the plug was fouled and towed it out. When we got home we replaced the plug and cleaned the terminals on my battery and clean off some of the mud and my battery worked fine to turn it over, but no start. We checked and it has spark..and seems to be getting gas, and we even sprayed in starting fluid once to try that....still no luck so I checked the compression and it seems there is 50psi.

Any idea why this would happen? Any idea what happened at all? Did break something major? What should I do next? Motorcycles are easy but this is my first polaris and I need some help. Thanks in advance guys....

·
Registered
527 Posts
As you probably know your machine needs 110 pounds of compression to run. There could be several reasons for it going down. The key when taking it apart is to figure out why it went down and correct the problem if there is one. You probably just need a fresh top end rebuild. Top end rebuild with new gaskets, piston, rings, needle bearing and bored cylinder is around 235.00. Let me know if I can help. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dale, So is that price for the top end rebuild for just parts or is that what it would cost me if I brought it somewhere? What do you think would have caused it? I was thinking maybe a ring went and jammed up and then just came loose finally? No idea........

·
Registered
527 Posts
That is the price for a freshly bored cylinder and all the new top end parts if you do it yourself. It is not a bad jump just takes time to put it together right. If you can email me pictures of the piston and the cylinder I can probably tell why it burnt down. Just email them to the link below.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so what can I do to check what may be causing the low compression without tearing the whole engine apart? If I add a little oil down the plug hole the compression should increase by about 20psi correct? That is if it is a ring or cylinder wall? Also can someone tell me about these reeds I am hearing all about? Not alot of work on 2 strokes...sorry.....but I would like to fix this one. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yea, one more thing I found a site with a top end rebuilt kit for $89.99 or a wiseco kit for $179.99 any thoughts? Is it truely worth an extra $100 for wiseco?

·
Registered
527 Posts
The only way to see what happened is to remove the cylinder. The reeds are in the intake of the cylinder. I would only run two pistons in my machine the Polaris or Wiseco. I have the complete Wiseco kit for 175.00 and cylinder bore for 60.00. I have seen and had to many problems with other pistons so I would not recommend them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts