Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Sportsman 800 and just got done installing the Glacier Pro Plow kit. I've never plowed before, so I'm looking for any kind of tips. I have a couple questions as well. I have a black top drive that I will be plowing.

I'm assuming I should set the skid shoes slightly lower than the edge of the plow?

I'm also wonder when I'm not plowing should I take the tension off the winch by unhooking it?

Any info that would be helpful is appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Plow in Low only....make sure the attack angle of plow has the bottom back some an top out..it digs in better ....stops plow blade climbing...there is a setting where plow blade mounts to plow frame....when done plowing just lower blade till cable has no tension...if plowing wet snow...you can spray blade with silicone to help release snow from sticking...I stopped using the skid shoes it leaves snow on road...but if you use them get as close to wear bar as you can....

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Hello & Welcome :wave:

Plow in Low only....make sure the attack angle of plow has the bottom back some an top out..it digs in better ....stops plow blade climbing...there is a setting where plow blade mounts to plow frame....when done plowing just lower blade till cable has no tension...if plowing wet snow...you can spray blade with silicone to help release snow from sticking...I stopped using the skid shoes it leaves snow on road...but if you use them get as close to wear bar as you can....
al53 covered it pretty darn well....

For me, no matter the surface I'd leave the pads/shoes on and adjust them accordingly for how close you'd like to scrape to the surface.

With an asphalt driveway.... I'd adjust the pads to allow the cutting edge to remain very close or just touching the surface. Adjusting the height on the flat garage floor.... is the easiest! :D

As mentioned.... when your done plowing and park the wheeler for the night, just lower the winch/plow to the ground to relieve the weight off the front suspension. This will help keep your front springs from being stressed any more than they need to be.

Enjoy.... I find plowing snow fun, but it's still described as "work" to the wife!! Pssst... So, don't ruin the "man code" for the rest of us!! :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Did you get a poly blade or a steel blade? If you got a steel blade, silicone or even a good coating of rainx will help keep the snow from sticking to it. If you got a poly blade, I would use carnauba wax designed for cars. It will reduce the "rubbery" feel the poly blades often have and create a water-barrier to reduce the snow and ice from sticking. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you've never plowed before then don't take this one as a joke. If you're doing a lot of back and fourth, make sure your trans is in the gear you wanna be in before hitting the gas. I've seen people take out garage doors or bump cars cause they aren't paying attention.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do your work in low gear and take your time. Be cautious of chunks of frozen dirt and ice, they will get your attention real fast:) Make sure you plow the snow far enough away from your work area to allow for future snow, you will run out of room to put it sooner than you think. This is my first year plowing and the last point has caused me a lot of grief. Where to put it:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome! I suggest swapping out the winch cable with a 15' PWC trailer strap. Just duct tape the strap to the winch drum and reel it in under tension. I had an Amsteel synthetic cable, and even that started to show wear. Make sure you also push the snow back far enough so you have enough room to "stack" any subsequent snowfalls! ...And have fun, I usually follow up my plowing with several donuts in the driveway!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Might want to consider a battery tender as well. There will be a lot of winch use to wear on the battery.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Might want to consider a battery tender as well. There will be a lot of winch use to wear on the battery.
YES a battery tender is a MUST!!!!!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
YES a battery tender is a MUST!!!!!
YES, X3 on the Battery "tender or maintainer" between uses is a MUST!!!

Make sure you also push the snow back far enough so you have enough room to "stack" any subsequent snowfalls!
And X2 on push the snow back far enough the first time.... as each additional time will get closer and closer. Since you won't be able to push the original pile after it compacts and freezes into place!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Been plowing my cottage driveway for a number of years with my little 330 Magnum and works great as long as its not wet snow. That little 330 is a tank and just keeps going. Just got to run it for 5 minutes with the choke on to warm her up. Make sure to use low gear setting and if there is a ton of snow then take your time and take the top few inches off first then take the rest on your second pass. That way your not overheating or over stressing your machine.When you get real good you can time raising your winch gradually when you get to the banks so your not hitting a heavy bank with force. Angle your blade and raise it up and run down the edge of banks to push some of the weight of snow back further so your not closing your self in when it snows next time. Always plan for future snow falls. Especially the winter!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Great info here!!!!!!
All great info & Yes Battery tender Jr. works great have 2 of them 1 for ATV the other for tractor & boat batt while boat is in storage. Have the pig tail installed on ATV & always plug in when I put it in shed, and start W/it till warmed up & off I go. My problem this season is getting from shed 150+' to driveway in deep show. Have bottomed out & couldn't get winch to free wheel to winch out had to get snowthrower out to "dig out" ATV. Used same trail this morning couple of back up & get running start in yard.But handled yesterday's 10+" good. This morning additional 3" walked through it. another 3"+ coming tomorrow afternoon. A lift kit would help BUT here NE of Phila. we're having historical snow so I doubt I'll invest in kit.Have fun I do & neighbors/friends sure glad I have it!!
Kevin

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
All great info & Yes Battery tender Jr. works great have 2 of them 1 for ATV the other for tractor & boat batt while boat is in storage. Have the pig tail installed on ATV & always plug in when I put it in shed, and start W/it till warmed up & off I go. My problem this season is getting from shed 150+' to driveway in deep show. Have bottomed out & couldn't get winch to free wheel to winch out had to get snowthrower out to "dig out" ATV. Used same trail this morning couple of back up & get running start in yard.But handled yesterday's 10+" good. This morning additional 3" walked through it. another 3"+ coming tomorrow afternoon. A lift kit would help BUT here NE of Phila. we're having historical snow so I doubt I'll invest in kit.Have fun I do & neighbors/friends sure glad I have it!!
Kevin
sounds like you need to cut a trail to the shed with your plow...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Kevin
sounds like you need to cut a trail to the shed with your plow...
Yeah have some what done that tomorrow I hope too. Coming off shredded knee surgery on 2/4/14 just getting through removing what I can. NOT fun W/Knee all screwed up & all previous snow doesn't give great traction for plow in grass :-(.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Instead of a lift, you should consider swapping your flat blade out for a "V" blade. It can "blaze" a path from the shed for you in 1 pass and it would be only a minimal cost (I think Cycle County sells the blade for like $60.)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Instead of a lift, you should consider swapping your flat blade out for a "V" blade. It can "blaze" a path from the shed for you in 1 pass and it would be only a minimal cost (I think Cycle County sells the blade for like $60.)
I have american Eagle Frame mount system. Is the V blade compatible to mount/push tubes? Just checked No V blades @ Cycle County. I have seen them.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have american Eagle Frame mount system. Is the V blade compatible to mount/push tubes? Just checked No V blades @ Cycle County. I have seen them.
Cycle Country 12-0240 PLW BLADE WEAR BAR 72" V-PLOW

I assume Ezerasurfr is referring to this. I thought $60 for a plow was cheap. This has a pic of the plow, but the caption says wear bar

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the info! The last big snow we got I had only shoveled half of my horse shoe drive because I knew I was getting a plow. I had almost a foot of snow and was pretty impressed with how well it handled it. I found out quickly that you're not going to just push straight through that much, but I was able to play around with it and figure it out. I can't wait till it snows again! Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Cycle Country 12-0240 PLW BLADE WEAR BAR 72" V-PLOW

I assume Ezerasurfr is referring to this. I thought $60 for a plow was cheap. This has a pic of the plow, but the caption says wear bar
Yeah me too when I saw $60 I knew that couldn't be right. I'll stick W/my setup. Like I said this is historical for this area & I have been able to handle it so far. Plus we had 2 small storms right after my surgery & I could walk to get the ATV out so that didn't help W/my trail to driveway either.
BTW when the hell did the weather channel decide to start naming snow storms??! WTF??:supergay: Ever since NBC bought them they have sucked

1 - 20 of 28 Posts