Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did search before asking. LoL
I see in pics most stacks are made of pvc piping. Why?
I assume affordability. But are they durable enough for impact with sticks and limbs, etc?
Anyone use steel pipe? Or is it better to have semi-break away vs rack or panel damage?
Am I over thinking all this? LoL

I'm making my own snorkel as there doesn't seem to be a kit for my 99 and just in design phase right now. I've read the write up on mudinmyblood.com forum so have a great outline there. I have access to welding and can make some stainless stacks but don't want to bother if it not recommended. Already made the air box duel intake. 1 1/2" stainless pipe.
Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
PVC is light, cheap, durable enough, and easy to work with. I have rolled atv's on the snorkels before and had them hold up, but I have also had them break. There is nothing wrong with steel or aluminum snorkels, its just not worth it if you don't have materials or know how to work with metal. I put snorkels on all my atv's, and due to personal preference, just find pvc more economical.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've seen many broken pvc snorkel's and when your in the woods your not likely going to find a fix. I'd recommend flexible material that still has some rigidity like radiator hosing. Diesel truck hoses give you the diameter you need for correct air input, however they're not cheap. Good luck!! post some pics of your project as I'm designing mine as well for a 2009 sportsman 500 HO 4x4. I'm using some of the ideas that the stealth snorkel kit utilizes for the air box with the dual inlets. Other than that I'm shooting from the hip as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
fyi if you go with steel your going to get rust in your air box... theres no escaping it!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've seen many broken pvc snorkel's and when your in the woods your not likely going to find a fix. I'd recommend flexible material that still has some rigidity like radiator hosing. Diesel truck hoses give you the diameter you need for correct air input, however they're not cheap. Good luck!! post some pics of your project as I'm designing mine as well for a 2009 sportsman 500 HO 4x4. I'm using some of the ideas that the stealth snorkel kit utilizes for the air box with the dual inlets. Other than that I'm shooting from the hip as well.
When you are done can you send/post pics and stuff you bought. Maybe even make a snorkel build thread lol. Anyway I'm debating on building one but I don't wanna spend too much or work my but off to do it... Thanks!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The problem with flexible hose for risers is that there is no rigidness to them. You would have to build something to support them. Not that it can't be done, but its just easier to use PVC for risers. If you break one off in the woods it really isn't that big of a deal either. You just can't go handlebar deep anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts