Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as many of you know I have been a fan of my Dalton primary O/BL spring and have had good results with it....but....

I just rode a 2012 Sportsman 550 with the QSC clutch kit and MudLite XTR's and was shocked when the front end ripped straight up even after laughing at the owner (and losing 20 bucks on the bet) that it wouldnt do it.

Needless to say my 800 does wheely fairly easy but it was lacking i felt on the initial grunt off the line and could have more....but was i dreaming...NOPE!

I called Adam and he was GREAT to deal with and was going to package up my kit and send it out today! I'll report back when I get the kit installed and cant wait on the warmer days of riding to run this ol girl ragged!

Matt

·
Registered
275 Posts
You will be amazed how much a kit from Adam will make. I had a different brand in mine helix and all springs, just thought it should have been better. Talked to Adam and went with his kit, it pulls hard off the line yet I can still slow crawl when needed.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will love the new setup. I only wish you would have called me instead. Lol
Do you work for QSC?

Sent from West 'By-God' Virginia!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
No I don't. I have my own repair shop about 80 miles form them and am an independent dealer for them and a few other companies. Along with doing repairs and custom builds on ATVs, motorcycles, and snowmobiles.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Keep us updated on the results. I ordered both the Dalton Primary Spring and a QSC kit. I just actually got through installing the Dalton spring kit a few hours ago. I'm interested to hear the difference between the two.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you gotten to try the Dalton spring out yet? I'm hoping the QSC comes tomorrow!!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Have you gotten to try the Dalton spring out yet? I'm hoping the QSC comes tomorrow!!!!

I did, I made a thread today about it in this section. I'm very pleased with the results. I'll wait for you to install yours before I consider installing mine.

What size tires do you have on your bike? Any power modifications and what kind of riding do you do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey peoples...I have a question..just put a dalton clutch kit in my 06 sportsman 700. It worked great before with stk clutch, I just herd I should go with the clutch kit when I went to 27" tires.
Ran the bike and its reving 4500rpm at 20mph. Its tapped out at 6400 @ 40mph. It isn't going into high gear. Its not stuck in low range b/c I checked. When I got home I realized that I forgot to put the spacer in that came with the kit (dahh),, but before I tear it apart again just wondering if that thin spacer would make that big of a difference?? Seems awful thin to bring my gearing back to what it should be???

any comments/help??

·
Registered
978 Posts
im gonna order my qsc next month from ridinagain. pretty excited to try it i hear such great things!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree. If yours has a helix did you preloaded it correctly? The spacer goes on the primary to raise initial engagement of the belt to a higher RPM.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got my kit!!! Silver /black and silver / green springs. 2 shims and 62 gram weights!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had to email adam because I noticed the kit he sent me was for 32" tires and I only have 26" Dirt Commanders. I don't doubt he knows his stuff just want to be sure before I drop the kit in.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I had to email adam because I noticed the kit he sent me was for 32" tires and I only have 26" Dirt Commanders. I don't doubt he knows his stuff just want to be sure before I drop the kit in.

I think your kit is good. I got the same primary and secondary springs except 64 gram weights for my 28" Mega Mayhem's.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Adam emailed me back and said all is good! Lighter weights for the smaller tires.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Adam emailed me back and said all is good! Lighter weights for the smaller tires.

Something don't add up here, "lighter weights for smaller tires"? Usually bigger heavier tires would require lighter weights to keep the clutch from shifting out as quick, stay at a lower gear ratio. Being that they gave you the exact same springs as indyred800, one would think since he has larger tires than you, he would have lighter weights than you. They gave you 2gram lighter weights than his.....strange

·
Registered
805 Posts
Those dirt commanders will probly measure around 25" They run very small

Your gonna lose a lot of acceleration with a kit designed for 32s. You may even be on the rev limiter most of the time.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They are 64 gram weights...sorry

1 - 20 of 52 Posts