Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

So i just purchased a 2010 Sportsman 550XP it has just under 300 miles on it with a winch and a plow.. but everything else is stock... any ideas on what are some good must have modifications if I mostly just want to do trail riding and light mudding with it ? I'd also be interested in easy mods to add to the engine to give it some more pick up off the line but also wouldn't make a huge dent in my wallet.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Congrats on the purchase..... when do you head down to pick it up?

I'd say air filter, possibly exhaust and clutch kit would be your cheapest and best "bangs for the buck" mods. But before you start thinking bolt on performance mods, I'd wait to play with it some. I'd bet you'll be surprised with how peppy that 550 is!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Matt,

I'm having my brother pick it up from the dealer probably on Wednesday.. and i'll head down maybe sometime next week.. just depending on my work schedule... but i'll be picking it up in St. Cloud. I definitely have thought of that air filter.. do you suggest any specific brands.. and what about the clutch kit? I've never really ridden the 550xps as all i've owned was the older magnums like my 425 so I don't have a ton of experience wrenching on them really.

Here's a pic of it

Attachments

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If it still has the stock tires, you will want to upgrade those. I would also recommend a clutch kit from Quadshop Customs. I think that will give you what you are looking for in the pick up off the line, but will also help save your belt while plowing.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
As far as filter goes...... I've had both K&N and UNI on past quads and motorcycles. Both are a good, washable/rechargable type filter.

Before you buy a clutch kit, I'd get use to the machine first..... I've riden my wife's uncles 2010/11(?) Sportsman 550XP and between that and our 2005 Sportsman 400 (425cc), there is deffinetly a night and day difference..... I think you will be pleasently surprised! Then once that gets old.... then upgrade the clutch, are my thoughts.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I commented on this in your other thread. Congrats and good luck with it!!

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
679 Posts
You got it! Nice! First thing, loose those stock tires. That is the best thing I did for my 550. Next QSC clutch kit. After that you are just throwing money away. You won't see any performance gains with an exhaust, air filter or programmer. An exhaust will enhance the sound a bit over stock, sounds a little better. An aftermarket filter like k&n or Uni is washable and reusable so you may save some money in the long run. A programmer isn;t really need to run a freer flowing air filter and just a slip on exhaust, these 550s are running rich already.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
^^^Agreed about programmers and engine mods. If you need more power it's cheaper to upgrade to a larger atv. You could put thousands into the 550 but it won't turn it into an 850.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha thanks for the knowledge guys.. the air filter i think i'd like to get just to know that its been replaced and with something of quality.. i've ridden a brand new 2013 550 xp around the dealerships field and wasn't that impressed with the pick up off the line.. I love to do donuts and flip the back end around when playing in snow and mud.. and i just didn't get the feeling that the 550 would have that pep... maybe i'm wrong and it'll just take some more playing with to figure that part out ;-) hehe... As for the clutch kit i'm thinking it might be a really good investment.. cus i do live out on the plains with alot of drifting snow.. and will need the unit for a good plowing machine. Some of the drifts in my yard right now are about 5 1/2' deep. As for tires what would you all suggest.. i know there's so many types and having had looked at a few.. i want a general all purpose tire.. that would do well in snow and mud.. I've looked at the ITP's and my brother loves his Big Horn Maxxis' but i'm not a huge fan of the ride he gets with those big tires as his unit is a Arctic Cat 650 with a lift and it just makes the machine feel like it can't get out of its own way.. IMO...

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
That's how I am with filters too..... I like to replace them with a quality filter, it's new and "I know".

As for the clutch kit, it may be a good idea them.... "to wake it up a little". I've always heard good things about how a clutch kit will "wake up" a machine, but always wondered if they would do much on a larger cc machine? Since the wife's 400 will keep up just fine to the 800 on a trail, but doesn't have the top end pep and low end snort.

So, do you plan on keep the Magnum for the wife's scooter? For those weekend trips to do a little MN / WI trail riding!! :D

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Get rid of the stock tires, lots of choices depending on what you ride. QSC clutch from Ridingagain will spark up those rear wheels and I like the Uni filter because I can dry it out if it gets wet or clean it if it gets oily.

I have Black Diamonds and they work very well in drifting snow. I am north of you so our weather is the same.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I like the STI Black diamonds. they've done very well in hard trails, snow, and mud, granted, The snow was only a couple inches (don't get much snow out here, and haven't had it up to the mountains since I swapped the tires. Think I'll be taking it up there at the end of March though.

Have yet to find a bad review on them.

The XTR's have 1 1/8" of tread depth so they're pretty meaty for snow and mud riding. I went with the ATR's because I don't need that much tread where I ride and wanted to save the weight.

·
Registered
978 Posts
get ahold of rideinagain for a qsc clutch kit he will set you up to what your running. Id suggest tires before clutch kit though. I run maxxis zillas 26 in on 14 inch rims and they do great in the snow and mud. Do a lot of plowing and i use it across the lake for fishing and i run through a lot of drifts with out a problem. And they run real smooth on hard pack. I will most likely only be running zillas from now on. And they are one of the lightest tire you can get.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts