Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered me a 2022 XP1k hunter edition. Now I just have to wait for the dealer in AZ to ship it to UT. So stoked!!!

To other owners - I've ridden polaris wheelers for the last 25 years, but never anything bigger than my current 570 x2. What should I expect? Is there any noticeable failure points in the 2022 models to keep an eye out for? What's the best way to break in a 1k, and for how long? I'm gonna have an itchy trigger thumb until it's broken in but I want to make sure I do it right.

Help me justify my purchase by telling me how much fun you have on yours.

·
Super Moderator
15,600 Posts
Congrats on the new machine and welcome to the 1k club lol.
Go over the machine thoroughly when you get it home. Check all the fluids, coolant, grease, fasteners, wires or hoses that may rub or wear, tire pressure and look it over completely. Pull out the front storage box and check out the battery and wiring etc. and pull the seat/air box lid to look at the filter and how it is mounted. Get totally familiar with it.
For break in just ride it normally. No extended idling, no WOT runs, no extended running at one speed. Vary it up and down. Get up to speed a few times and then brake all the way to a complete stop. Ride a few minutes to let the pads cool and then do it again. This will burn the pads in for maximum braking efficiency.
After you get a few hours on then you can run it up to higher speeds/rpm and hang on. But don't go jamming the throttle wide open from a standing start until you get at least about 10 hours or more and a few miles on for the belt's sake. Recheck all fluids frequently for the first few hours and top up any that are low. Check it all over for leaks after each ride. The coolant will almost certainly be a little low in the recovery bottle after a couple hours riding. Top it up.
Most of all.... have fun and be careful. You'll be riding a big boy machine now with 90 hp, not the puny 44 hp of the 570 you're used to so plan accordingly lol. (y)

·
Premium Member
04 Sportsman 700, 04 Scrambler 500, 04 trail touring 550 sled
1,404 Posts
What he said! ^^

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on the new machine and welcome to the 1k club lol.
Go over the machine thoroughly when you get it home. Check all the fluids, coolant, grease, fasteners, wires or hoses that may rub or wear, tire pressure and look it over completely. Pull out the front storage box and check out the battery and wiring etc. and pull the seat/air box lid to look at the filter and how it is mounted. Get totally familiar with it.
For break in just ride it normally. No extended idling, no WOT runs, no extended running at one speed. Vary it up and down. Get up to speed a few times and then brake all the way to a complete stop. Ride a few minutes to let the pads cool and then do it again. This will burn the pads in for maximum braking efficiency.
After you get a few hours on then you can run it up to higher speeds/rpm and hang on. But don't go jamming the throttle wide open from a standing start until you get at least about 10 hours or more and a few miles on for the belt's sake. Recheck all fluids frequently for the first few hours and top up any that are low. Check it all over for leaks after each ride. The coolant will almost certainly be a little low in the recovery bottle after a couple hours riding. Top it up.
Most of all.... have fun and be careful. You'll be riding a big boy machine now with 90 hp, not the puny 44 hp of the 570 you're used to so plan accordingly lol. (y)
Thanks for the tips! I've been thinking I might keep it in work mode for the first 10 hours/100 miles or so? That might help keep me from the temptation of gunning it right out of the gates. Good tips on checking all the fluids. I don't know anything about this dealer and it's shipping almost a thousand miles to my house so it will definitely be worth a check. And I didn't know that about the brakes, so that's good to know.

I think I'm a pretty strong rider but I'm looking forward to getting humbled a bit by the liter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts