Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the stock air filter prefilter fit the K&N Filter part#1003

Part will go on 2017 Polaris 450 Sportsman.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
yes it will fit, i don't find the polaris pre-filter works too good tho.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it will fit, i don't find the polaris pre-filter works too good tho.
When I purchase should I be looking into the K&N prefilter also?

Does the K&N work better? :cowboy:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
if you won't be riding in alot of really dusty conditions but more mud than no, i've noticed many times after only 120 miles of really dusty conditions, meaning 5-6 or mote atvs riding together in a group and it had not rained in a week that the OEM filters themselves were completely filled with dust on both my atvs.
You could try spraying a bit of oil on the OEM pre filter and the K/N and see how it works.
The k/n pre filter is about $23, plus u will need to buy the ´recharge ´ cleaning kit which is a spray bottle of cleaning solution and a spray bottle of oil, about $20 and will last years. Their cleaning solution works really well. You can probably order all parts from a Autoparts store if k/n is not offering free shipping but it usually does. I checked online and ur filter is same as all other years Polaris Sportsmans incase they don't have the listing for 2017 yet. Polaris has been using same filter since mid 1990's Sportsman models, Even the 1000's have same filter.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I won't be riding in dusty or mud or submerging. I already have a recharge kit. My F-150 also has a K&N. I will not be penny wise and dollar foolish. I will use the filter with all its components. I'll be purchasing the pre-filter and installing on my next filter change.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
exactly ! , but i'm wait till my new bike is out of warranty to throw one on. No need to give Polaris a reason to complain !

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plan on waiting until factory filter actually needs changing so I can get all the use out of it as possible:usa:.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
For all the hassle and aggrevation of washing, letting dry and then kit costs, an oem filter is the better choice. BTDT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts