Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
WELCOME!!!

You will find that most of us prefer the UNI filter to the K&N.

I have UNI's in all our bikes and love the results.

CW

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
It's all personal prefrence, I have K&N in all my machines. You wont notice any + or - with just a filter. You need to add an exhaust also to notice any difference. A jet kit or a programmer is what you'll notice right away.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Definately go with UNI over K&N , but both improve airflow. You will get better low end throttle response, but you will only notice it if you whack it wide open, and it is small....very small.

25.00 on amazon

·
Registered
553 Posts
More dirt in the engine is the only for sure thing with the K&N.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have K&N in all my vehicles except my ATV, I think they work great. I do have a question on the uni on a 2011 850XP. The original filter is held in place by the filter door pressing on it. What holds the uni on? It looks like just a foam filter to me so pressure wouldn't hold it on, never saw one up close.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have K&N in all my vehicles except my ATV, I think they work great. I do have a question on the uni on a 2011 850XP. The original filter is held in place by the filter door pressing on it. What holds the uni on? It looks like just a foam filter to me so pressure wouldn't hold it on, never saw one up close.
I ordered one online, had to send it back. The filter is not rigid enough, and there is no where to clamp it on. I called the place I bought it from and explained it to them. The gave me free return shipping because the filter (twin-air) will not work with the new airbox design. Anyone have a solution?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I ordered one online, had to send it back. The filter is not rigid enough, and there is no where to clamp it on. I called the place I bought it from and explained it to them. The gave me free return shipping because the filter (twin-air) will not work with the new airbox design. Anyone have a solution?
That's what I was thinking. S
o K&N would probably be the choice on the 850XP setup?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I will only use uni after all the stories I have heard about K&N.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What was the part number of the one you ordered/sent back? Uni Filter's website catalog is saying that part # NU-8518ST is supposed to fit.:hmmm:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well unless they have some type of frame in them I'm not sure how they work on the newer XP's. The filter is only held in place by pressure from the filter door pushing the filter forward on the inlet, there's no band for a clamp.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What was the part number of the one you ordered/sent back? Uni Filter's website catalog is saying that part # NU-8518ST is supposed to fit.:hmmm:
The one I sent back was made by twin air. The uni part number I found was for a 2010 Sportsman 500 ho, BUT.....polaris uses the same air filter in the 500 ho that they use in the 550 (same part number at polaris parts website). I THINK the number I posted has a rigid frame. That's the only way it will work as someone else already said. The 550 and 850 airbox hold the filter in place with the lid. the filter cannot be clamped.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I, myself have only used K&N's in all my stuff since the came out. Yes you have to clean them more often, but I have seen what other filters are capable of. I'd much rather clean mine more often, than longer periods between cleanings and have junk in the filter. In all honesty it's personal prefference. Just like tire choices.

·
Registered
98 Posts
K&n here. Always clean and oil before big rides and twice I've had fine dust "haze" in intake when cleaning up. Removed entire intake tract to head and washed out. Put stock filter back in and ordered a uni tonight. And yes ran a prefilter on k&n. filter was dirty both times but they should go more than 100-150 miles before becoming clogged to the point of bypassing. K&n forsale 30$ pm if interested. Great filter for mildly dust conditions just sort work for me.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I will only use uni after all the stories I have heard about K&N.
What stories have you heard about the K&N? I've been using one and haven't noticed any problems with it.

Not knocking the UNI but I bought the K&N and it's been working just fine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Read the post ^^. Installing a uni this weekend

1 - 19 of 19 Posts