Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best bang for a guys dollar when it comes to airfilters have a 02 400 scrambler with a k+n but keep hearing these let in too much dirt or is it possible they r just not installed properly. Any info or suggestions muchly appreciated.:gruebel:

02 400 scrambler
piped and silencer
k+n filter
beartracks

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
There is always going to be a lot of debate about this, but yes, in my opinion K&N lets in too much dirt, even when properly installed for me to trust or ever use them. I personally kind of like the way Unifilter has been going with their design and build quality, but thats just me.

·
Registered
494 Posts
K&N's need to be oil coated by design. They are superior filters. I used K&N for years on my Honda ATC 250R. Much better air flow over paper filters. Added horsepower. But if someone happens to not read the directions and fails to oil the filter, it will let in much more dirt because they are more porous - needing the oil to catch dirt. They should only be used on hi rev race bikes and two stokes to benefit from the design. Because they require oiling, they require more cleaning and re-oiling to sustain the high air flow. So the maintenace cycle is much shorter than a paper filter to sustain the higher air flow required by race applications. For putting around on an ATV four stroke - they are not worth the trouble. But if you have a screaming-azz two stroke, you will like them.

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
There is always going to be a lot of debate about this, but yes, in my opinion K&N lets in too much dirt, even when properly installed for me to trust or ever use them. I personally kind of like the way Unifilter has been going with their design and build quality, but thats just me.
Looking at Uni's web site - I don't see any XPs listed. Are they just not up to date?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Get the outerwear cover for that K & N if they make one for your quad... you'll be fine. However, a Twin Air, UNI, or No-Toil will protect even better. None of these filters really provide much of a performance enhancement in a small ATV engine... unless you've had a LOT of other performance mods.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I decided to try the UNI this time on my 700.
I have been using K&N for years in my Jeeps without problems, but I too have been reading of the problems so I decided to try the UNI this time around.

CW

·
Registered
84 Posts
K&N's need to be oil coated by design. They are superior filters. I used K&N for years on my Honda ATC 250R. Much better air flow over paper filters. Added horsepower. But if someone happens to not read the directions and fails to oil the filter, it will let in much more dirt because they are more porous - needing the oil to catch dirt. They should only be used on hi rev race bikes and two stokes to benefit from the design. Because they require oiling, they require more cleaning and re-oiling to sustain the high air flow. So the maintenace cycle is much shorter than a paper filter to sustain the higher air flow required by race applications. For putting around on an ATV four stroke - they are not worth the trouble. But if you have a screaming-azz two stroke, you will like them.
I've always used K&N but I service the crap out of it REALLY often..............like mentioned above normally a person will only notice improvement over the paper filter style filters is with a high rev machine or a 2-stroke. Otherwise to feel anything the machine has to be improved. So to answer you , K&N filters are not cheap but do work IF they are used properly so if you don't plan on good improvements to your machine the Uni or the like is the way to go. My 2 cents!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts