Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know another tire question but I searched and found nothing reference these concerns.

I ride quite a bit on hard and paved surfaces and desert type rock. My stock tires are worn badly, unstable on the road and worse at higher speeds. They worn down fast 1000 miles.

The Mongrel is a UTV tire I know but road worthy and approved.

Is it too heavy and will that addition in weight harm the drive train?

Are there other down sides to using these on a quad?

I am not in the mud and thought a more truck or road all terrain tire of harder rubber would wear better and be better at higher speeds and on roads; either dirt or paved.

Thank you

·
Registered
325 Posts
I thing the Mongrel would be an awesome tire on your Touring for the conditions you described. I have given the Mongrel a lot of thought and even emailed GBC about running them on an ATV. They said that you will need to run 10 to 14 psi to get the profile the tire was designed for or the handling will suffer. I'm still up in the air about it, but sure would like to give the Mongrels a try. Let us know if you decide to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is an old thread but does anybody have any experience or insight into what the OP was asking? Or could someone point me in the direction of someone that has UTV tires on a sportsman?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My finances changed and ended up with these

Dirt Bike Artrax CTX Radial Tire | MotoSport

I have liked them so far and the hard surface and road handling is much better as the footprint is flatter and wider and the sidewall is stiffer. I had them balanced as well. They are taller than sized and I had to set my shocks to the max hardness when having a rider or I got rubbing on bumps as they also an inch or so wider. Maybe Mongrels next time though I will probably have a Ranger 900 xp EPS before I need new tires again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I might have to check those out. The price is right for sure. What size did you go with?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ones their site listed for my model. I think they were the only 14" wheel sizes they had.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts