Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
Installed a set of heated grips on my 2000 Magnum 325 4x4. This is not the complete grip type but the type that has the element you wrap around the handle bars and then re-install your original grips back over them. They came with an older style glass inline fuse so I had swapped that out for a blade type. My rides are never longer than 20-30 mins and the grips heat up just fine, never need hi, just use low, and some times the fuse will blow. I have them wired to 12v off the key. I dont think a 25 amp fuse is even necessary I was thinking 15 should have been fine but Im eating 25s. Is it the type of grip that has these problems or should I get my 12v from a different source? Any thought appreciated. Thx , Cory.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Those type heating elements work on resistance. As they get old, worn, or damaged, they resistance dramatically increases. Sounds as if they are pulling too much amperage, burning the fuse. Do you have paperwork with the kit? What size fuse was supposed to be in there. If you have a poor connection at the inline fuse, that will raise resistance as well. Was this burning fuses before you installed the new style fuse and holder?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Most heated grips only draw 3-5 amps. If you are blowing 25's there is an occasional short somehere in the circuit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those type heating elements work on resistance. As they get old, worn, or damaged, they resistance dramatically increases. Sounds as if they are pulling too much amperage, burning the fuse. Do you have paperwork with the kit? What size fuse was supposed to be in there. If you have a poor connection at the inline fuse, that will raise resistance as well. Was this burning fuses before you installed the new style fuse and holder?
I never used the old glass inline fuse just put the new one in from the get go. I don't have the paperwork anymore but I seem to recall it was around a 15 amp. I'll try re-connecting the inline fuse and maybe taking off the grips and looking for any apparent damage. Should probably take a look at the backside of the switch and see if that's shorting on anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts