Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2012 850xp with 30" silverbacks and rad relocation. Only a few miles into the first time I rode it the belt broke so I ordered the highlifter 3gx and installed it. Same thing happened again! When I purchased it from the dealer I was told it had a clutch kit in it also but the springs weren't a bright color like it seems all the aftermarket ones are. Kinda new to the polaris and not really good at mechanicing either honestly. Just wanna know if their is maybe something else I need to get done or what. I'm gonna get a new belt and get it installed by the dealer this time so I know it's nothing I did. Any ideas or advice would help

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I think most agree on here that Polaris belts are best.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The springs were grey just metal. As far as the weights go I have no idea. The stock belt was small looking the highlifter belt sure looked heavy duty. I'm literally stupid when it comes to the whole clutch thing but wanna learn. Where would I look to find the weights? I'm sorry for being such a tard. Lol

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Slow driving in high will toast a belt, take the clutches off and clean em with soap and water.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
QSC is the only one I know that uses 2 silver springs in the 850 on tires that big. Should have a colored stripe down them. green or black I believe without going to my gigantic new list of clutch kits from them. Are you riding in high gear a lot? how many miles on the machine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bike only has 54 hours on it the miles I don't know about. I was riding in high gear when it broke but I was going 40 or so. I personally haven't rode it but 5-10 miles. I just purchased it last month like it sits. I work off shore and it broke the day I got home. The following day I put the highlifter belt on and it broke again the same day only 5 miles or so down the road.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It takes a lot of stress to rip the guts out of a new belt in five miles. Check the clutches for misalignment. Make sure there are no left over parts of an old belt in the clutches or wedged behind the clutches. Make sure the machine rolls smooth and easy in neutral, no drive-line or brake problems. I would pull or have some one pull the clutches and go through them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i removed all the old belt and made sure their were no remnants of the old one. im definitely gonna take it to a professional for the next one. just wanted to learn about it is the only reason i tried it myself the first time. i sure appreciate all the help fellas

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Driving in high gear with those tires and what you likely have for clutching its going to blow belts fast. Guys that put tires like those on only really use the machine for mudding. And that requires lie gear to do so your clutching would be set up for that. Was there a coating of black belt residue kind of glazed onto the primary clutch faces?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts