Polaris ATV Forum banner

Keeping your cool

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  TYS570 
#1 · (Edited)
Now I can wear shorts.

I have two 570's and both have the same heat issues. OK, Polaris should be taking care of it but until they do here's my fix that worked like a charm. I took a set of cheap Black ABS Flat Plastic mud flaps, not the flexible rubber kind, but the hard type, (most auto parts stores carry them) and cut them to fit in the space between the footwell and the side panel. The foot well is not flush along the engine side so you are going to have to notch the middle of the new panel to fit outside at the rear of the footwell and inside at the front. Use cardboard to make your pattern then transfer once fit and finish are good. Buy about 5 new panel clips drill 4 equal spaced holes along the side panel and new panel and pin the new panel to the engine side of the existing panel. The part that extends down at the rear of the footwell drill another hole thru the new panel and the footwell and pin it at the bottom. Get a piece of peal back heat shield sheeting and cover the engine side of the new and old panel. Get a roll of 1" wide heat shield tape and wrap the exhaust, bolted on shield and all, from the front 90 degree bend where it turns towards the side panel to the point it turns back away from the side panel. Use some heat tape metal tie wraps to secure it at both ends. Gone are the constant blow torch heat blasting your leg, and jets of boiling water shooting from the engine compartment when running thru a water puddle.

See less See more
#2 ·
why add the panel when wrapping the exhaust fixes the issue on it's own?

#4 ·
I didn't have to wrap the whole exhaust just the portion adjacent to the panel. Besides hot water always came shooting out of there whenever I ran thru any depth water puddle, even after I wrapped the exhaust. Hence, adding the panel. Cost is about $20 and an hours worth of work. Wrapping the entire exhaust system seemed like lots of work and I had concerns about engine overheating from insulating the entire exhaust system. I'll take some photos tonight and upload them to show the mod.

#8 ·
what's the manufacture date on your machine?

#6 ·
Bought one in October last year, one in May of this year. I did have shields on the exhaust and on tank and existing side panel. When I wear shorts riding in the mud here in Texas it would blast my leg with hot air while riding, and steam when riding thru the slightest puddle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.