Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just placed an order for a full set of Bear Claws and ITP steel wheels for my GF's Sportsman 500. Her old tires weren't holding air very well and her original wheels had seen better days. I originally was gonna go with STI Black Diamonds but were out of stock and based on all the reviews of the Bear Claws I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Many of you have any experience with Bear Claws? Most of our riding is on forest roads with plenty of rocks, gravel, ruts, and sometimes mud and snow. I'm hoping the Bear Claws will be a good all purpose tire.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I love mine, have them on both machines. You wont be disappointed. SNOW, mud, loose dirt, they GRIP, paddle, and clean out very well. They make my 2wd Yamaha go places I didn't think possible with a 2wd.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the bear claws are my choice....i am getting the radial version....I have not seen a bad report on them yet....dont just look on Polaris forums....I seen posts from peope who swithed from BH..black diamonds...and other brands an were very pleased not knocking the other tires...but the Kenda is a good bang for the buck....

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I don't have them, but I searched them ALOT when I had my 400. And I never once saw a bad review on them. I hear they grip well, wear well, just overall a great tire!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have them, but I searched them ALOT when I had my 400. And I never once saw a bad review on them. I hear they grip well, wear well, just overall a great tire!
Good to know because I just got notice that Rocky Mountain ATV has shipped the order.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
This pretty much sums it up. They are simply just a great tire.

I wish I had a gopro or something when we went out last weekend, I coulda showed off just how well they work in the snow. I was absolutely amazed what I could paddle thru in 2wd with my sportsman and what my bro in law managed to go thru with my old 2wd Yamaha.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Its too bad they don't make larger sizes. I know the htr does, but the originals don't come in a 14" rim.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
That's a good combination. Ran that exact same setup on my X2 for a while. The ride is a little harsh on them, but they are tough as hell.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I just pulled the plug an ordered from Chaparell ...Kenda BC HTR 26x12 fronts an backs...and STIse HD2 wheels in gloss an machine finish..and lugs...701 to door ...3 day shipping to east coast....shipped today....cant wait....I have new chrushers and Polaris extreme radials tires on it now..for factory offset...how it came when I bought it..now I have tires to play with for different riding conditions..lol.....

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have HTRs and am very happy with the performance so far. Did have a slow leaker and could not figure out if it was a rim or tire issue. After several tries by my local tire shop they put a tube in it for free. I know its not ideal but Chapparels return policy on tires sucks.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
it sucks period sending a tire back...the shipping kills you...as long as its not a major defect like a bubble in side wall..broken belts in tire...as far as bead leaks...i use a sealing tire lube...it seals the bead an lubes..

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Oh they wanted me to BUY a replacement. Send back the tire and HOPE they find it defective or I have 5 tires

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered the Bear Claws and ITP wheels from Rocky Mountain ATV two days ago and they were delivered about an hour ago. If their service is as good as their fast shipping then I think I will be a very happy camper. The Kenda Bear Claws look great and can't wait to install them on my girlfriend's Sportsman and kicking up dirt! :banana::banana:

Kenda Bear Claw 26x11-12 for the rear
Kenda Bear Claw 26x9-12 for the front and ITP Steel Wheels all around.

As for tire pressure I figure 6 or 7 lbs. ought to do, yes?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Yes sir

·
Registered
548 Posts
I put them on both of are 400 and went riding last weekend. They were great and excellent grip. I run 5 lbs. I AM NOT DISAPPOINTED?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I cant wait to get mine..should be monday..and new wheels..STI HD2 se I will mount them an ride..I want to see how they are in snow....I got the HTR so a little different tread design...but I like both styles....I looked at so many reviews an comments on them an not a bad one....

Glad you like them cage

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure if it was a good idea but I also had them add Slime seal to the tires. Interesting though, not much air in the tires when I got them. Barely even registered on my gauge. I imagine it was deliberate for shipping purposes and/or to allow the user to set their own pressure. Each pair came bundled and tightly wrapped in plenty of shrink wrap.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Glad you like them.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
I ordered the Bear Claws and ITP wheels from Rocky Mountain ATV two days ago and they were delivered about an hour ago. If their service is as good as their fast shipping then I think I will be a very happy camper. The Kenda Bear Claws look great and can't wait to install them on my girlfriend's Sportsman and kicking up dirt! :banana::banana:

Kenda Bear Claw 26x11-12 for the rear
Kenda Bear Claw 26x9-12 for the front and ITP Steel Wheels all around.

As for tire pressure I figure 6 or 7 lbs. ought to do, yes?
5 psi should be plenty, but experiment and see what feels best to you.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Anything wrong with putting the 26x9x12 on all 4 wheels? I have steel ITP wheels, 2" offset per wheel for a little wider stance.

I have STI Roctane XD's on now and they weigh a ton, being 8 ply radials... I checked the weights, and going to 9" wide Bear Claws all around would take just over 30lbs off the bike in tire weight alone...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts