Polaris ATV Forum banner
181 - 200 of 324 Posts
Just replaced my HTRS. I got a set when they first came out. I guess I got the bad batch. Would never hold air since new at bead. Kenda sent me 4 brand new oens for free.
I filled the old ones with slime and ran em. Still leaked at beads just not as bad. 6000 miles/ 10000kms and tires were done. Full of holes. Wouldn't hold air more than a day. One of the rears was delamination inside, all stringy, probably why it went flat so easily. Treads were less than 50%. They wore REALLY FAST!

New ones on now. Rides much stiffer but goes straighter. Old tires wondered badly. I can't really give a good test because I'm injured and can't really drive. 10kmh for maybe a km or two. That's it.

First set not impressed at all. New set we will see.

I doubt there's anyone here with as many miles as me on a set. Or actually worn a Set out. They were ok for the first 1500 miles or so. Went downhill FAST after that!

I'm not going to brag something up because it's what I'm running. Some are like that. Alot are like that! This is my experience with the HTRS. Hopefully the second set is better!

Wider rear or no? Pros and cons to running a wider rear

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I'm about to go down this road. Like above, my first set leaked around the beads and seemed to get punctures pretty easy...they also wobbled at about 40-50 and you could feel they were out of round when riding at low speeds on smooth terrain. When on dirt they handled very well and got me through almost all the smaller mud holes. I've had these up to 70 mph on dirt and 82 mph on regular roads and they tracked pretty straight.

When I talked to the lady at Kenda she said the rubber compound was too soft on a run of these and they wouldn't hold air around the beads..this could also explain the excessive punctures. After filling out a little paperwork I had a new set at my door in less than a week.

I went with skinny / wides the first go round so that is what they sent me as replacements. I ended up selling the rears and bought another set of 26x9x14s so I can run those all the way around. Unfortunately, they are still sitting in my garage on a spare set of stock front wheels waiting for the originals to wear out so I haven't been able to try them yet.

Are you running the factory wheels? If so you may want to look into running front rims all the way around because the stock rears are wider than the fronts and will slightly affect the height. It's mostly a cosmetic thing, but something to be aware of.

Wider rear or no? Pros and cons to running a wider rear

I'm about to go down this road. Like above, my first set leaked around the beads and seemed to get punctures pretty easy...they also wobbled at about 40-50 and you could feel they were out of round when riding at low speeds on smooth terrain. When on dirt they handled very well and got me through almost all the smaller mud holes. I've had these up to 70 mph on dirt and 82 mph on regular roads and they tracked pretty straight.

When I talked to the lady at Kenda she said the rubber compound was too soft on a run of these and they wouldn't hold air around the beads..this could also explain the excessive punctures. After filling out a little paperwork I had a new set at my door in less than a week.

I went with skinny / wides the first go round so that is what they sent me as replacements. I ended up selling the rears and bought another set of 26x9x14s so I can run those all the way around. Unfortunately, they are still sitting in my garage on a spare set of stock front wheels waiting for the originals to wear out so I haven't been able to try them yet.

Are you running the factory wheels? If so you may want to look into running front rims all the way around because the stock rears are wider than the fronts and will slightly affect the height. It's mostly a cosmetic thing, but something to be aware of.
Could be with the soft compound. My bud bought a set after me, same bike.
His hold air better. Still not 100% though. His have worn much better though. Not nearly the wear I got.

Discussion starter · #187 · (Edited)
Just replaced my HTRS. I got a set when they first came out. I guess I got the bad batch. Would never hold air since new at bead. Kenda sent me 4 brand new oens for free.
I filled the old ones with slime and ran em. Still leaked at beads just not as bad. 6000 miles/ 10000kms and tires were done. Full of holes. Wouldn't hold air more than a day. One of the rears was delamination inside, all stringy, probably why it went flat so easily. Treads were less than 50%. They wore REALLY FAST!

New ones on now. Rides much stiffer but goes straighter. Old tires wondered badly. I can't really give a good test because I'm injured and can't really drive. 10kmh for maybe a km or two. That's it.

I doubt there's anyone here with as many miles as me on a set. Or actually worn a Set out. They were ok for the first 1500 miles or so. Went downhill FAST after that!

I'm not going to brag something up because it's what I'm running. Some are like that. Alot are like that! This is my experience with the HTRS. Hopefully the second set is better!
Interesting.

You say “They wore REALLY FAST!” and yet also say you have 6,000 miles on them. LOL. That there is funny. Please explain, and tell us all what kind of mileage you expect from an atv tire, and who makes one that will even go close to 6,000 miles.

First set not impressed at all.” I’ve seen a set of Bighorns with close to that many miles on them, and there was nothing left of them. They sent you a second set free, and let you keep the originals, so you will get 12,000 miles out of $400 worth of tires. Nope, I wouldn’t be impressed at all either… :rofl:

You say “I'm not going to brag something up because it's what I'm running.” Very admirable... LOL! I’ve run a few different OEM tires, Bearclaw 6 ply bias, Maxxis Bighorn’s, Pitbull Rockers and Bearclaw HTR’s. I ride just about every terrain there is, except for mud and pavement. This gives me a pretty good basis to make tire performance comparisons. If I don’t like something, I will say so. If I do like something, I will share that as well. When I find a tire that will outlive and outperform a couple of the top rated, highest priced tires on the market, and cost around $400 for a set of four, then I’m going to let people know about it. That’s not bragging, that’s helping folks out.

No, I will never put 6,000 miles on a set of atv tires. I don’t want to, I don’t need to, and I won’t do it. Not many people do.

i have no where near 6,000 miles on mine. Probable more along the lines of 600-700 ish miles. I will say that I'm very impressed thus far with them though. They do well in the amount of mud i play in and are holding up great on the trail. My stock tires were getting holes/punctures almost every ride as there is alot of rocky trails in my area but i havent had a single problem since the HTR's have been on (year and a half ish). Great for plowing snow and so far no issues with holding air. everyone has their own opnion which is fine but i am VERY impressed with them for the price. So much that most people i ride with are swtiching to them

Interesting.

You say “They wore REALLY FAST!” and yet also say you have 6,000 miles on them. LOL. That there is funny. Please explain, and tell us all what kind of mileage you expect from an atv tire, and who makes one that will even go close to 6,000 miles.

First set not impressed at all.” I’ve seen a set of Bighorns with close to that many miles on them, and there was nothing left of them. They sent you a second set free, and let you keep the originals, so you will get 12,000 miles out of $400 worth of tires. Nope, I wouldn’t be impressed at all either… :rofl:

You say “I'm not going to brag something up because it's what I'm running.” Very admirable... LOL! I’ve run a few different OEM tires, Bearclaw 6 ply bias, Maxxis Bighorn’s, Pitbull Rockers and Bearclaw HTR’s. I ride just about every terrain there is, except for mud and pavement. This gives me a pretty good basis to make tire performance comparisons. If I don’t like something, I will say so. If I do like something, I will share that as well. When I find a tire that will outlive and outperform a couple of the top rated, highest priced tires on the market, and cost around $400 for a set of four, then I’m going to let people know about it. That’s not bragging, that’s helping folks out.

No, I will never put 6,000 miles on a set of atv tires. I don’t want to, I don’t need to, and I won’t do it. Not many people do.
I have 6000 miles on em yes. Do you? Don't talk about something you don't know about. They wore ok for 1500 miles. After that they wore really fast.
This is gravel not pave. 6000 miles is alot? No. 10000 miles maybe. 6000 no!

I know I know. 6000 miles would take you 10 years and 4 different bikes but I actually put miles on or at least try.

Because they sent me new tires I should be impressed with the first set? Wtf are you talking about? Why are you always attacking me? You are a mod. You should set an example. Never seen anyone get so butthurt, at least a mod anyway.

I've seen Bighorn with big miles. They wear much better than my HTRS.

You have a 570. The best. You have htrs. The best. You had a 850 that you say sucked. But you've never made a thread about it?
Now that it's gone it's bad?. When you owned it????? What it was good?

This is my experience with HTRS. If you don't like it too bad. How can you know more about their performance and have 25% of my mileage?

Grow up. Stop being so biased.

Discussion starter · #190 · (Edited)
No reason to get all worked up. I know you like to argue any point I make, and try to make out everything I say as a personal attack on you. I asked some very legitimate questions, with a little humor thrown in to try to lighten your mood, in hopes of actually getting a couple answers. You try to make it personal, say I'm the one butt hurt and I need to grow up. Hmmm, okay. :smile
If you disagree with something I post, there are better ways of responding. Just because I'm a moderator doesn't mean I can't post thoughts, opinions or experiences. I will leave your last post here, but this thread isn't going to get off track any further.
PS Just a reminder, you were very happy with the HTR's at 2,500 miles. "I have about 4000kms (2500miles) on mine. 26/9/12 and 26/11/12. I really like them. Smooth, grip pretty good, wear well (75-80%) left." Your post, not mine. :wink

Reactions: indyred570
There are guys here in New Brunswick and over in Quebec that put 6000 miles IN ONE SEASON. .[/quote said:
Thats alot of miles:grin What kind of miles do you have on that 2012 1000
Not enough. 13000kms/ 8000 miles.

I was doing 2500 - 3000kms a year.

In 2015 I started building my new 30x40 garage. So 2015 & 2016 i didn't get too much running in. Same with this summer I had surgery on my shoulder 11 weeks ago. I think I had 1100kms up to August.

Not uncommon to see bikes with 30, 40 and 50000kms. Mine is still.a baby!

I like the reviews but still a little concerned about the hardness of the rubber compound. In my experience with the pit bull growlers I've seen the growlers exceed in a lot of situations compared to a hard compound tire like the grim reapers. As always a softer rubber is more sticky. What's the overall feedback on the hardness?

I like the reviews but still a little concerned about the hardness of the rubber compound. In my experience with the pit bull growlers I've seen the growlers exceed in a lot of situations compared to a hard compound tire like the grim reapers. As always a softer rubber is more sticky. What's the overall feedback on the hardness?

I haven't had the pitbulls but I do have the Reapers on a SP 850 and the HTR's on the rubicon.The HTR's are harder and IMO to heavy for the rubicon so I'll most likely be selling them

Discussion starter · #196 ·

I went from Bighorns to Pitbull Rockers to HTR's. The best grip comparison I can give is comparing the three different tires out on the slick rock of Moab. The Bighorns and HTR's stick to the rock out there like glue. I made one trip there with the Rockers on my 850, and the Rockers never made another trip back. They would slip and lose grip where the Bighorn and HTR would crawl up and over. I would put the Bighorns back on for the trip after that. (Until I put the HTR's on) I haven't noticed any lack of grip on any surface with the HTR that I would contribute to the rubber hardness.

No reason to get all worked up. I know you like to argue any point I make, and try to make out everything I say as a personal attack on you. I asked some very legitimate questions, with a little humor thrown in to try to lighten your mood, in hopes of actually getting a couple answers. You try to make it personal, say I'm the one butt hurt and I need to grow up. Hmmm, okay. :smile
If you disagree with something I post, there are better ways of responding. Just because I'm a moderator doesn't mean I can't post thoughts, opinions or experiences. I will leave your last post here, but this thread isn't going to get off track any further.
PS Just a reminder, you were very happy with the HTR's at 2,500 miles. "I have about 4000kms (2500miles) on mine. 26/9/12 and 26/11/12. I really like them. Smooth, grip pretty good, wear well (75-80%) left." Your post, not mine. :wink
Wow another response deleted.......
1500 miles they were 90%
2500 miles 80%
6000 miles less than 40%. And trashed. DoNE!

They should last longer than 6000 miles. This is dirt, not pave!

I've see Bighorns with twice the mileage and better shape.

Also had to ballance them. Anything over 60 would shake terrible. Like rip the bars out of your hands terrible.

Hoping the new set is better. My buds newer set has been wearing much better than mine but still leak at bead a bit.

My new ones haven't leaked in a few weeks but I have basically no miles on them. Just sitting in shed.

Attachments

I’ve had my Kenda’s Bear Claw radials on for 6-8 months. Lots of water [emoji98] and muddy slop driving getting to my tree stand.

No leaking and I’ve had my Polaris 500 Sporty @ 54-56 mph several times on main grade dirt road.

Very happy. I’m sure I don’t ride as much as most folks. I’m a hunter. But I do go for a 10 miles run quite often. I never drive on tar roads.

Fingers are crossed ? I continue to get great performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #199 ·
Your definition of worn out and my definition of worn out appear to be pretty similar. However, I know many folks who would look at those and only see them as half worn out, and would be happy to have them. Those are nothing I would ever run, I would have replaced them before now, but there are at least a couple thousand miles left on them. I just like new stuff, and trying new stuff, atv's & accessories included. My kids have received some pretty nice "hand me downs"... :grin

They had to be aired up daily. Would not hold air for 12 hours. 1/2 flat next morning.

I always thought they tracked good. Till I put new ones on. Old ones by comparison were all over trail. Wondered terribly.

Rear left was coming apart inside. Chords/ strings . Rear right had a massive bulge on outter sidewall. On a 1000 with that much power/ speed they were dangerous to keep on there.

181 - 200 of 324 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.