Polaris ATV Forum banner

221 - 240 of 245 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
If you flip the tie rod ends over, you will need to re-align your atv, and no, they aren't designed/intended to be run that way. It changes the geometry of the steering system. Many folks have done that, but I prefer to just do it the right way and put wheels on that have the proper offset. It's a good excuse to get rid of the OEM steel wheels that are about as sturdy as an aluminum soda can.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Lol, yes, I've become well aware of the "strength" of the stock wheels. I posted from a kindle yesterday and couldn't see the pics you posted, also did some weird autocorrecting that added a fake german accent. Anyway, the pics are very helpful. That is my exact atv, color and all, and the very look I'm going for. First time I've seen a base touring with 26" HTR's. I know this has been asked on other threads before, but do you feel the loss of power is "barely noticeable" or considerable? I know a bit of spunk will inevitably be lost for the reward of better ride, clearance, and traction. I'm just hoping it's not painfully obvious. Also wondering if you've had any issues with your fuel gauge being all over the place. That's the only problem I've had in my year of ownership. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Lol, yes, I've become well aware of the "strength" of the stock wheels. I posted from a kindle yesterday and couldn't see the pics you posted, also did some weird autocorrecting that added a fake german accent. Anyway, the pics are very helpful. That is my exact atv, color and all, and the very look I'm going for. First time I've seen a base touring with 26" HTR's. I know this has been asked on other threads before, but do you feel the loss of power is "barely noticeable" or considerable? I know a bit of spunk will inevitably be lost for the reward of better ride, clearance, and traction. I'm just hoping it's not painfully obvious. Also wondering if you've had any issues with your fuel gauge being all over the place. That's the only problem I've had in my year of ownership. Thanks
I'm sure there was minimal power loss, but I had the HTR's on before my first ride, so can't really make a comparison. Same with my wife's. I can still kick it sideways on the paved street, so not lacking at all. Haven't had any issues with the fuel gauge, and the only issue with either machine was I had to replace the speed sensor on mine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Okay, thanks. After seeing your pics, I know I'm going with the 26" htr's. Have to wait until the September college tuition bills are paid, because some people think my kids' future is more important than better rubber for my atv...lol. Still trying to decide between itp alloys and itp delta. Having a hard time finding a weight chart on wheels. I've also been a big Honda guy since childhood because of maintenance free riding. Saw buying a Polaris as a real gamble, but like you, nothing but one minor nitpick in over a year of ownership. I test-drove everything, and the handling/power for the money was far in the favor of Polaris. Really liked the can-am max 570, but it was $1300 more for the exact same quad as my touring. Never had a fuel gauge on an atv before anyway, so no harm no foul. I think, with the htr's, I'll be set for a long time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just put the 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTRs on my 570X2. I went with stock rear wheels and ITP steel wheels up front. At first I mounted the HTRs on my stock front rims and they rub the tie rod ends. You will absolutely need to go with an offset rim up front. If I had to do it over again I would have ordered the HTR's premounted on the ITP wheels. What I paid to mount the tires damn near would have covered the cost to get the premounted tires on ITP, especially since I had to have them take them off the stock front rims and remount on the ITPs. I wanted to keep mine as narrow as possible and as much tire under the fender as possible. You can't even tell I have different style front and rear wheels unless you really look hard.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ive seen some really good advice on the site dealing with your very issues. At some point, I'll get 26's on itp deltas or itp ss212's. Definitely pre-mounted, and the ss212's appear to be the lightest wheel without jumping considerably in price. Hope it finally turned out as you initially hoped. Sometimes we can be frugal to the point of excess...lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Happy with my decision
Mizzo is that stock height or did you have to lift it to run 28s? Do you use that for plowing at all?

I read all 23 pages worth of posts on here and I still can't decide exactly what to do for my setup.

I have a 2017 570 SP that is all stock with the stock 14 inch wheels. I want to get a new set of tires and based off the reviews on this post it seems like the HTR's are the way to go. That being said, I'm torn between the 26s or 28s. I don't want to get the 26s and leave myself wishing I did 28s. Also I don't want to get 28s and have them wind up rubbing something fierce. I do use the wheeler to plow snow in the driveway which will add sag to it just from the plow even with the springs all the way turned up.

That being said, which direction do I go?

Help me y'all! I've spent wayyyy too much time searching forums and going back and forth! haha

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
Happy with my decision
Mizzo is that stock height or did you have to lift it to run 28s? Do you use that for plowing at all?

I read all 23 pages worth of posts on here and I still can't decide exactly what to do for my setup.

I have a 2017 570 SP that is all stock with the stock 14 inch wheels. I want to get a new set of tires and based off the reviews on this post it seems like the HTR's are the way to go. That being said, I'm torn between the 26s or 28s. I don't want to get the 26s and leave myself wishing I did 28s. Also I don't want to get 28s and have them wind up rubbing something fierce. I do use the wheeler to plow snow in the driveway which will add sag to it just from the plow even with the springs all the way turned up.

That being said, which direction do I go?

Help me y'all! I've spent wayyyy too much time searching forums and going back and forth! haha

All around the 26" tire is the way to go!!! It's the best of all world's. Good enough for the mud and snow, handles great at higher speeds, and keeps the center of gravity down on those steeper hills!!! The only reason you would want to go taller is for mud riding. Wouldn't even be that much of a greater help in the snow. For the deep white stuff tracks would be where this discussion would lead!!!! Oh and one more thing my #1 reason to go 26" POWER!!!!! You'll loss more then you think going to a 28" tire. Believe me 26" HTR is a massive tire. Pull the trigger!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would second that go with the 26". They look big even on my X2 which is a big machine. And I would go with the HTR rims front and rear if I had to do it over again. Buy them premounted and you're set.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just read all these posts about pinch flats and the 2:1 ratio and blah blah blah.. I want to keep the stock wheels which are 14's so that's the only real reason I considered 28s.. Thank you guys though! Any bit of knowledge I can get from people is helpful and useful. Been on dirtbikes my entire life, this is my first atv so I'm full on novice when it comes to upgrading stuff with them haha.

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
I just read all these posts about pinch flats and the 2:1 ratio and blah blah blah.. I want to keep the stock wheels which are 14's so that's the only real reason I considered 28s.. Thank you guys though! Any bit of knowledge I can get from people is helpful and useful. Been on dirtbikes my entire life, this is my first atv so I'm full on novice when it comes to upgrading stuff with them haha.
If you don't do a lot of rock riding/rock crawling, a 26" would probably be okay for you. The pinch flat issue with 26" tires on 14" rims is a real thing. It happened to me twice while running the alleged "best atv tire made" (Pitbull Rockers) and cost me over $350 to replace two 26.5" front tires. Run high pressure (7-9 psi) or run the risk of pinching. The ride and performance of the tire will suffer, but it will help protect it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
RE pinching I'm Not sure if we're talking the same wheels. The stock wheels on the 570 X2 and 570 are 12 inch wheels. When you put the 26" bearclaw there is so much meat between the rim and the ground I just can't see how you could ever pinch them. The wheel looks like a tiny donut hole inside that 26" tire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Right, on a 12 inch wheel 26" tires are great. On the SP model though they came with 14 inch wheels. Stock it came with 26" tires so I was wanting to go up a size or two for a little extra clearance. Primarily I use the wheeler for plowing the driveway in winter and stuff around the yard since in good ole upstate NY there are no trails to go ride within a couple hours of my house. Once or twice a year I might make the haul up to Tug Hill for Snirt or to just ride a bit but that's about it. There isn't any real rocky terrain that I have ever ridden on for that matter. If 28's fit and don't rub then I want to go with those but if they rub at all then I'll have to stick with 26's. I don't want to lift the wheeler and put almost a grand into new axles for a 2 inch lift to ride it a handful of times a year unfortunately. I just haven't been able to find anyone that can tell me that they put 28 HTR onto a 570 sp without a lift and they didn't rub at all even with a plow on the front. The struggle is real haha.

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #236 (Edited)
I agree that a 26" Bearclaw HTR on a 12" wheel (1st picture) is more than enough tire. When you have a 14" wheel you can see the difference between a 14x26.5" tire (Pitbull Rocker) (2nd picture) vs a 14x28" Bearclaw HTR.(3rd picture) The 26.5" Rocker was at 8 psi and the 28" HTR was at 4 psi, as are the 26" HTR's. 4-5 psi is ideal for ride quality and overall performance on an ATV.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm assuming the 12" Delta rims do not fit on the SP model even though they have 1" more offset than factory? If they did then that would be what I'd go with and 26" BearClaws. I see there's a whole thread on 12" wheels on SP model and after reading it I'm more confused than before. Doesn't sound to me like the 14" wheels on the SP are a desirable feature.

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Being able to run 12" wheels was one of the many reasons that I did not get a 570 SP when I sold my 850 XP. Lots of folks really like the 14" wheels, but I'm definitely not one of them. Rocky terrain is 99% of my riding, and low air pressure and good sidewalls are king.

·
Registered
121 Posts
OK I have a 2015 Sportsman 570 tire size is F-25x8-12 and R- 25x10-12
If I run the same size or 1 size larger, so 26x9-12 Fronts and 26x11-12 Rear should I be looking at a clutch kit as well?
The riding I do is mostly around the farm in the fields and a little trails (Sandy base very little mud and some water and lots in the snow) and if so what kit should I be looking specifically?
And Are these the tires I should I be looking at. There is a lot of bush and trees and sticks for flats. I already replaced 1 tire for a branch through the sidewall of the stock Carlisles

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
OK I have a 2015 Sportsman 570 tire size is F-25x8-12 and R- 25x10-12
If I run the same size or 1 size larger, so 26x9-12 Fronts and 26x11-12 Rear should I be looking at a clutch kit as well?
The riding I do is mostly around the farm in the fields and a little trails (Sandy base very little mud and some water and lots in the snow) and if so what kit should I be looking specifically?
And Are these the tires I should I be looking at. There is a lot of bush and trees and sticks for flats. I already replaced 1 tire for a branch through the sidewall of the stock Carlisles
My understanding is just going up one tire size from oem is not that big of a deal. It's when you go up 2 size's and more that you really need to consider a clutch kit. Of course I'm no expert and maybe someone else will chime in that knows for sure.

Tony

221 - 240 of 245 Posts