Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 245 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Good to know, thanks. I will have to check the dates on them when they show up.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Enjoy. I don't think I will be disappointed.

·
Super Moderator
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Got the new HTR's mounted up this morning. I gained a full inch of ground clearance with just 5 psi in the tires, compared to the 8-9 psi I was running in the Rockers. Should make for a much smoother ride over the rocks, and with them being a 28" tall tire, my issues and worries about pinch flats should now be gone. I now have the same amount of sidewall to play with that I had with 26" Bighorns mounted on 12" wheels. :D
I can also take some of the preload out of my Elka shocks if I want to and soften up the ride even more with the extra ground clearance I gained. Just need to get it out on a couple of rides to fine tune the tire pressures and shocks.

My only complaint right off the bat would be that they run a little narrow. The 11" wide rears measure 10" wide, and the 9" fronts measure 8 1/2" wide. I really can't imagine that will make any difference other than the look. If anything, it will probably handle a little better with the narrower tread widths.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
All three are advertised as 11" wide. My 26.5" Rockers and 26" Bighorns both measured the same height when mounted. In this shot the BH is still mounted and the new HTR has the weight of the machine sitting on it, so the height looks a little deceiving.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nice, I think this is the way I am gonna go. They look almost like a paddle tire, will work great in the sand :) Let us know how you like them. I am sure you will loose some power with the larger tires but will be nice to be lifted a bit.

·
Super Moderator
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
They are lighter than the Pitbull Rockers that I took off, so I don't think there will be any performance difference. I'm more of a rock crawler, technical rider so quick acceleration and top speed don't mean much to me anyway. The 850 has way more than enough power to turn large tires as well. Can't remember a time that it ever bogged down and couldn't spin the tires in high gear. Hope to get some seat time and some miles on them before too long and see how they perform in the snow and rocks. I've read that they will dig in the sand, but not much sand in these parts to worry about. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I finally got my clutch buttoned up today, missed the ride I had planned so I was only able to putt around on a few dirt roads around the house. Thankfully I won't need to balance them. If I were a high speed rider I'd stick with Bighorns as they are smoother but not by much and I'm not a high speed guy, I like Mtn trails. Look forward to putting them to the test.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looks great. Looking forward to hearing how they compare to bighorns

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Good looking tires.

·
Registered
964 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Update

Since I hate tire threads that always seem to end as soon as the person makes their purchase, I will try to update this one as I get more riding time on these HTR's.
Yesterday I got to spend a little time on the snow packed streets around the house. Figured I would go out and do some power slides and some donuts and get a feel for how the HTR pushes, slides and recovers. I was a little disappointed. It was very difficult to get them to slide, and really couldn't do much of a donut at all. :veryhappy: The amount of grip on a hard packed, snowy road was impressive, to say the least. I'm sure that being new helped a bit, since all the lugs are still sharp, but compared to new Bighorns they have a better bite on that surface.
I'll try to keep this updated as I get more miles on them.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Better bite than Bighorns? Wow that's pretty impressive. I knew they would be a good trail tire. If they would have made an XXL version with a 1.30 deep lug I would have been all over it!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Anyone running these on a Touring? I'm sure the 26" will be fine but I'm wondering if the 28's will work?

I'd be interested to know this also.:ponder: However, if I were a betting man, then I would suspect that the 28's would not fit the XP Touring model...because of the rear foot peg/rest issue.

If only a 27" was offered... Hey Kenda...You listening?? :laugh2:

biz
:yup:

·
Registered
316 Posts
You know I just thought I would throw this in. I have had balancing issues with my Honda Goldwing Dunlop E3 and went to Dyna Beads. Works like a charm. I have since used them in my tires on my quad. I have a 2013 550 touring and as soon as I got it I put them in the stock tires. When I go to Kendra's (which will be my next tire) I will be putting them in as well. Easy to install. Just MHO on balancing since it is hard to find someone to balance ATV tires.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You know I just thought I would throw this in. I have had balancing issues with my Honda Goldwing Dunlop E3 and went to Dyna Beads. Works like a charm. I have since used them in my tires on my quad. I have a 2013 550 touring and as soon as I got it I put them in the stock tires. When I go to Kendra's (which will be my next tire) I will be putting them in as well. Easy to install. Just MHO on balancing since it is hard to find someone to balance ATV tires.
Very interesting, will have to check this out, never heard of these before. See you lean something new every day :).

·
Super Moderator
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Update:
Got out for a ride today on the HTR's. I think I made the right choice. Had a mix of a little of everything. Snow, rocks, dirt and loose rock. They performed flawlessly in all conditions. There were frozen ruts on many of the trails. I could turn the bars and climb right out of them with no problem, and straddle them without slipping in. Point and shoot. None of the problems that Bighorns have in those same conditions, where once you get in an icy rut, you can't get out, and they always seem to slide into them when trying to straddle them. They worked just as well on my wife's 570 T. We also had an 800 RZR on new Bighorns and a KingQuad on half worn Bighorns riding with us. They were all over the place, and once in the ruts, couldn't claw back out. I know that feeling well from my past experiences on BH's. That is their only real weakness.
We'll see how the HTR's do in Moab next month. That is the only place they have to prove themselves to me now. Awesome tires and a fantastic ride at 5 psi.

21 - 40 of 245 Posts