Polaris ATV Forum banner

Kenda Bearclaw HTR questions

143K views 323 replies 82 participants last post by  Sprotsman 
#1 ·
Hey guys, looking for any and all reviews, good or bad, on the Kenda Bearclaw HTR’s. What little I’ve been able find has all been good, but no one has followed up with any long term thoughts or reviews. I know everyone loves their tires when new, but after some miles, opinions can change.

I bring this up because I’m not too far off from replacing my PB Rockers. No way I will pay that much for another set of tires for my ATV. The price is up to $850 for the size I want to move up to. I’m looking to go to a 28” tire, and I’m finding the choices a bit limited. Bighorns only 28” tire comes only in 28x10x14 and I don’t know that I would like a 10” wide tire on the front. About $600 for a set. I slapped my 26x11x14 Bighorns (exact same size as my 26.5x11x14 Rockers) on the front yesterday and took it for a bit of a ride. The steering was difficult and it didn’t want to track very straight. The only other offering for Bighorns comes in the 28x9 and 28x11 sizing, the size I want, but only in a Bighorn 2.0. Not happening!

I happened to stumble across the sizing for the HTR’s and found that they make a 28x9 and 28x11 set in the 14” size, and the price is very reasonable at around $530 for a set. That’s when I got interested and started looking for more info on them. It sounds like they measure a true 28” tall at trail riding pressures, around 5-6 psi. Now I’m even more interested, but as I mentioned earlier, I’m looking for more input from those who actually own them. Not necessarily in my size, although that would be nice, but just comments on how they perform in different conditions, how they wear and how they ride. Anybody owned Bighorns and HTR's both that could make that comparison? Any comments appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine have been great so far. I have around 700 miles on them and the tread wear is great. We ride the roads around my place to get to a few riding spots, the fronts look almost untouched and the rears just have a little rounding on the lugs...I can get a few pics if you want.

My style of riding Is high speed trail riding on mostly hard pack and some sand, and I have to say these things work awesome. The ride at slow speeds is a little choppy which I found odd, but it could also be because of the reasons in the next paragraph. It almost feels like one of them is out of round.

The bad part is my first set which was ordered through simpletire.com were defective. 3 of the 4 wouldn't hold air for more than a week and they felt out of round, almost like a flat spot. But with that said, their customer service is top notch. I filled out the online warranty card on a Tuesday and had a full new set at my door that same Friday after a few emails back and fourth.

I still haven't gotten the new ones mounted yet, but hopefully they are not choppy and hold air for more than a week.

#5 ·
............ The ride at slow speeds is a little choppy which I found odd, but it could also be because of the reasons in the next paragraph. It almost feels like one of them is out of round.
I had the same feeling. I brought the fronts in to Discount Tire and had them balanced. Problem solved.

#3 ·
I've got about 500 or so miles on mine. I had 1 tire with a slow bead leak but after several attempts ( no charge ) by my local tire shop they fixed it. The tires are wearing very well IMO. I don't ride any tar to speak of. Well they do not excel at any one thing they hold their own in most conditions. Ride is smooth on hard pack at all speeds. Clean out well in moderate MN mud. Climb logs pretty good. And not bad for snow(plowing).
Never had BH. For the price I don't really think you could do much better.

Reactions: Corbett1973
#4 ·
I know when I was tossing around the idea of the Kenda HTR's vs the Kenda Executioners, I was reading up about them from a few guys who have them over on the Can Am forums. They were saying that they really liked them and the rubber compound was really long lasting. I had stumbled upon that thread while looking under Google pictures.

#6 · (Edited)
That is so funny, I was thinking of asking about these tires. I think they would be a great tire for the riding I do, mostly sandy roads and sand dunes with a little hard pack. They look like they will hook up great in these kind of conditions. I was looking to get them soon, but found that the 489 2 to be ok tires out there. I would not get them again but they are not too bad. Probably wait till these things wear a bit before getting new tires. I am interested to hear what people say about these tires though.
ok video, song is a little annoying but you can see how the tire kicks sand like a paddle almost.

#7 ·
I have about 4000kms (2500miles) on mine. 26/9/12 and 26/11/12. I really like them. Smooth, grip pretty good, wear well (75-80%) left..
I did develop an issue with the rears losing air. Could never find any leaks. Would go flat in about a week.
Filled out a warranty form with KENDA and had 4 brand new tires on my doorstep THAT SAME WEEK. I have since added a bottle of slime to each tire and they have stopped leaking. I haven't mounted the new ones, still running the old and will till their done.

#8 ·
I'm guessing you don't want to buy 15in rims, but EFX motoclaws come in 28x9 and 11.

#10 ·
Neither shop in my small town would try. Told me it was not needed. Drove 25 min to discount tire and they did it for free while I waited ( I buy all my car/truck tires there ). That will clear up the problem I would think for you. Mine took a lot of weight on both front. Did not do rears. Good luck!

#11 ·
On the Can-Amtalk forum, the HTR is one of the most popular tires. Many GNCC racers use them.
I ran them twice with great results. I usually put new tires on close to every 500 to 700 miles. The last set had 700 miles and still had 50% tread. They sold with my Can Am.
If you like hard core riding, other 8 ply tires to consider are the Grim Reapers. I actually got 750 miles on this set with 80% tread on the front and 70% on the rear. Unfortunately I tagged a sharp rock hard and tore a side wall so I just replaced both rear tires. By the look of the fronts, I should be good for another 800 miles.
That may not sound like a lot of miles but remember I consider a tire trashed when it gets to 50%. Same on a car.

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Among other things my favorite thing about Bighorns is I had great luck getting tires that never needed to be balanced. I just purchased a set of STI HD 4's with 26in Bearclaw HTR's. I'm waiting for a replacement primary spring that was out of spec in the clutch kit I ordered and my machine is still on jack stands so I haven't had a chance to run them. I hope I don't regret trying something new. The reviews on the HTR's were overwhelming good so knock on wood. I should take it for a ride this weekend, if the snow isn't a issue hopefully I can get into some decent rocks to get a good idea about the tires.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the input so far. I'm starting to get a little concerned about the leaking tires and out of balance tires. I'm also not seeing much about how they perform in rocky terrain, which is 99% of my riding. Keep the info coming. This is already as much or more useful information than I had been able to gather after a day of searching.

#16 ·
Since I rarely even get up to 40 mph, hopefully that wouldn't be an issue.
Found a great thread over on the Nyroc forum about the HTR's. Again, nothing but good things to say about them, even after a couple had been on them for a year or so. One or two previous Bighorn owners even said they preferred them over the BH's, and would buy them again over the Bighorns. Starting to sound like the HTR may be the best kept secret in tires. :surprised:

#18 ·
I have had the HTR's since fall of 2013...have not lost any air yet...and I ride lots of sharp rock trails...these tires wear like Iron...the rubber compound is super hard as the lugs on the tires show no cuts and good edges..

I also use these to plow with and great in the snow...cant say I have done any deep mud as I dont mud bog..but a foot deep mud they are great...

I would buy these tires again...they just dig in and most times I dont need AWD on the trails...

#19 ·
Ordered a set this morning. We'll see how they do. It wasn't easy to bypass the Bighorns, but for savings I will give them a shot. Can always sell them if I don't care for them, but I don't think that will be the case.

#20 ·
I think they'll be perfect for your riding Bob. As far as the losing air thing, I was told it was a certain date range as I had to take pics of my date codes for the warranty. Mine were made in the 3rd and 9th week of 2014...0314 and 0914.

#21 ·
Good to know, thanks. I will have to check the dates on them when they show up.

#22 ·
Enjoy. I don't think I will be disappointed.

#23 · (Edited)
Got the new HTR's mounted up this morning. I gained a full inch of ground clearance with just 5 psi in the tires, compared to the 8-9 psi I was running in the Rockers. Should make for a much smoother ride over the rocks, and with them being a 28" tall tire, my issues and worries about pinch flats should now be gone. I now have the same amount of sidewall to play with that I had with 26" Bighorns mounted on 12" wheels. :D
I can also take some of the preload out of my Elka shocks if I want to and soften up the ride even more with the extra ground clearance I gained. Just need to get it out on a couple of rides to fine tune the tire pressures and shocks.

My only complaint right off the bat would be that they run a little narrow. The 11" wide rears measure 10" wide, and the 9" fronts measure 8 1/2" wide. I really can't imagine that will make any difference other than the look. If anything, it will probably handle a little better with the narrower tread widths.

Attachments

#32 ·
#25 · (Edited)
All three are advertised as 11" wide. My 26.5" Rockers and 26" Bighorns both measured the same height when mounted. In this shot the BH is still mounted and the new HTR has the weight of the machine sitting on it, so the height looks a little deceiving.

Attachments

#27 ·
They are lighter than the Pitbull Rockers that I took off, so I don't think there will be any performance difference. I'm more of a rock crawler, technical rider so quick acceleration and top speed don't mean much to me anyway. The 850 has way more than enough power to turn large tires as well. Can't remember a time that it ever bogged down and couldn't spin the tires in high gear. Hope to get some seat time and some miles on them before too long and see how they perform in the snow and rocks. I've read that they will dig in the sand, but not much sand in these parts to worry about. :)

#28 ·
I finally got my clutch buttoned up today, missed the ride I had planned so I was only able to putt around on a few dirt roads around the house. Thankfully I won't need to balance them. If I were a high speed rider I'd stick with Bighorns as they are smoother but not by much and I'm not a high speed guy, I like Mtn trails. Look forward to putting them to the test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.