Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO Le, I ride mud, trails or the odd road and ditch(no super deep mud). I don't want to get spacers or after market rims, I just want a tire that will run good on trails and can tackle mud/water if needed, the tire must be light so I dont have to get a clutch kit.

Basically I need a little extra than my stock tires (Kenda 599) just to don't get stuck all the time but still able to enjoy trail ridding.

My stock tires are 25-8-12 front and 25-11-12 rear, I would like to keep it that way. :werd:

·
Registered
729 Posts
You rears are 25-11-12's and normally are 25-10-12's on all other 2012 500's, but the Orange madness le's got the kenda 11" wide and Orange plastic.that is the only difference that I know. Just so you know when looking for tires.The fronts are the same. 25x8x12. Front rim=12x6 , rear rim=12x8. I suggest at least a 6ply radial for replacement. They are heavier but does not always mean you need a clutch upgrade. Basically any stock size/brand will work on your rims without spacers/new offsets ...etc. I like Maxxis Bighorns and Sedona Ripsaw R/T's. They are both great all around tires and last for a long time. You will probably drive yourself half nuts before you find one you think is good for your needs. Good luck !

·
Registered
962 Posts
My wife has the original BearClaws on her Scrambler 500 and absolutely loves them. It sounds like you ride similar to us, so I think you'd be happy with them. They are considerably better than stock. Having said that, I have friends with the Zillas who absolutely love them too. I don't know the exact weight of either tire, but the Zillas seemed to be a little lighter, but the BearClaws are usually cheaper.

Bottom line....I think you'll be more than happy with either one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the quick replies and the advice its greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I just got the Bighorn 2.0's on my machine. They're only slightly heavier than stock, but Im glad to report that I can't feel the weight difference riding. Definitely dont need a clutch. I got them in stock size (25x8-12 & 25x10-12) and they run slightly big, which I was happy about. The fronts dont seem to be wider than the stockers, but the rear is noticably wider and appears beefier than the stock Carlisles. I rode 40 miles on snow covered roads yesterday, and they were very smooth, and gripped very well. Noticable improvement in traction over the stock tires. Especially while braking.

A lot of people dont believe in the 2.0's, but I know a couple of people who have them, beat on them hard, and havent had any problems. So far so good for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts