Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a opinion on the kenda htr's? they look to be a cool tire to mount on my 08 500 efi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for welcoming me. its too bad no one wants to answere this or any other question i ask on this site. i must not have enough posts to qualify to be answered.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
From what I have read about them, Kenda has a good reputation. The HTRS should be pretty tough.

·
Registered
31 Posts
does anyone have a opinion on the kenda htr's? they look to be a cool tire to mount on my 08 500 efi.
Hey,

I can not offer any first hand experience with the Kenda Bearclaw HTRs yet... But I will be able to soon. They are being shipped now. Should have them on by the weekend. Weather has been great in my area lately can not wait to get out!

During my research on my tire options, I read a lot, as many people do, of online reviews and forum postings on a many different types of tires. I do not have the luxury of real world testing...lol

My criteria on selecting a new set of tires was:

• I wanted Radials
  • Aggressive trail tire, but not an all out mud tire... (no offense to the mud crowd!)
  • 14 " size (2011 550 X2 - XP)
  • Weight was a consideration given I am riding a 550
  • Durability as I ride in very remote locations, often alone...
  • Size, as there can be rubbing issues with the Touring and X2 models I would stick to 26" sizing

I narrowed it down in no particular order to the following tires:

• Maxxis Bighorns (their reputation is legendary)
  • ITP Terracross RT XD (I eliminated this tire because the new XD is specifically aimed at SXS applications, concerned about stiffness the reg RT in 14" is a 3ply...)
  • GBC Grim Reaper (I came very close to getting the Grims)
  • GBC Spartacus (The Spartacus was right there with the Grims)
  • STI Black Diamond XTR (Actually bought these tires but they measured small and I had issues with them, returned to supplier...)
  • Kenda Bearclaw HTR
There are other great tires I know but many of them are not offered in 26" eg. Mudlite Xtrs are 27" Maxxis Vipr are 27" you get the picture...

I eliminated Pitbulls due to their weight and cost. They are an awsome tire though...Jacobs ATV Mag does a great review on them..(Maybe when I get an 850!)

I also eliminated the Sedona Ripsaws due to their weight and the fact they advertise them as being built from "truck tire" rubber...stiff and heavy...

In the end it was a very tough call, I would say a 3 way split between the Bighorns, Grims, & Kenda HTRs.

I chose the Kenda HTRs as I liked the tread pattern, they are not aimed exclusively at the SxS market, Kenda places it in the utility category. They are reported to run very smooth and perform well. I run some long distances on forest access roads, as a result I decided to go for some added comfort...hopefully.

I will let you know how this all pans out!

Make a long story shorter if you want a radial the Kenda HTR Radial may be a good fit for your 500.

Happy trails...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hey Weaver,
Keep us posted on the new tires. I'm very interested as to how they work out for you (I have the same wheeler as you) and I've heard the rubbing issue is just as much a consideration of tire width as height. Since you've gone an inch wider than stock, I'd really like to know if they rub- hope not.

·
Registered
838 Posts
They are so new that there probably isn't much trail time on them...most everyone gets big horns, pitbulls or grim reapers when it comes to a pure trail tire with minimal mud

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey,

I can not offer any first hand experience with the Kenda Bearclaw HTRs yet... But I will be able to soon. They are being shipped now. Should have them on by the weekend. Weather has been great in my area lately can not wait to get out!

During my research on my tire options, I read a lot, as many people do, of online reviews and forum postings on a many different types of tires. I do not have the luxury of real world testing...lol

My criteria on selecting a new set of tires was:

• I wanted Radials
  • Aggressive trail tire, but not an all out mud tire... (no offense to the mud crowd!)
  • 14 " size (2011 550 X2 - XP)
  • Weight was a consideration given I am riding a 550
  • Durability as I ride in very remote locations, often alone...
  • Size, as there can be rubbing issues with the Touring and X2 models I would stick to 26" sizing

I narrowed it down in no particular order to the following tires:

• Maxxis Bighorns (their reputation is legendary)
  • ITP Terracross RT XD (I eliminated this tire because the new XD is specifically aimed at SXS applications, concerned about stiffness the reg RT in 14" is a 3ply...)
  • GBC Grim Reaper (I came very close to getting the Grims)
  • GBC Spartacus (The Spartacus was right there with the Grims)
  • STI Black Diamond XTR (Actually bought these tires but they measured small and I had issues with them, returned to supplier...)
  • Kenda Bearclaw HTR
There are other great tires I know but many of them are not offered in 26" eg. Mudlite Xtrs are 27" Maxxis Vipr are 27" you get the picture...

I eliminated Pitbulls due to their weight and cost. They are an awsome tire though...Jacobs ATV Mag does a great review on them..(Maybe when I get an 850!)

I also eliminated the Sedona Ripsaws due to their weight and the fact they advertise them as being built from "truck tire" rubber...stiff and heavy...

In the end it was a very tough call, I would say a 3 way split between the Bighorns, Grims, & Kenda HTRs.

I chose the Kenda HTRs as I liked the tread pattern, they are not aimed exclusively at the SxS market, Kenda places it in the utility category. They are reported to run very smooth and perform well. I run some long distances on forest access roads, as a result I decided to go for some added comfort...hopefully.

I will let you know how this all pans out!

Make a long story shorter if you want a radial the Kenda HTR Radial may be a good fit for your 500.

Happy trails...
hey thanks for the feedback, can't wait to hear how they work out. was looking atthe same tires the bighorns were quite expensive, liked the grims then found these and like the looks and the price the best but have'nt heard much for what riders have to say. where did you purchase these if I may ask?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
thanks for welcoming me. its too bad no one wants to answere this or any other question i ask on this site. i must not have enough posts to qualify to be answered.
Sorry to hear you haven't been getting the help you needed here. Lots of good helpers around, you must have tough questions :biglaugh:

Just a thought, but if you have a post that no one replies to you may have to "bump" it to get it back to the top and back into the active topics section where the most people are viewing.

As for the tires, I too have no experience with them. I had tossed around the idea of getting some bear claws but I wanted a radial and the HTR's weren't out yet. I ended up with the spartacus and really like them so I probably won't be needing anything for a while. I do think HTR's will be high on my next tire list, maybe even the front runner unless they get poor reviews.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Garret: Where did you purchase these if I may ask?
I got them from a local supplier here iin Canada, I am sure you can find them cheaper where you live in the US. the Kenda HTRs were the same price as Bighorns in my area.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have a set of Bearclaws coming today. From what I gathered in my research they are one of the best selling ATV tires around. They have a good pattern, are 6 ply and durable. Not to mention you can't beat the price. I would give them a shot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a set of Bearclaws coming today. From what I gathered in my research they are one of the best selling ATV tires around. They have a good pattern, are 6 ply and durable. Not to mention you can't beat the price. I would give them a shot.
You may be thinking about the regular bias ply Kenda Bearclaws... The Kenda Bearclaw HTRs are 8 ply and radials.

Kenda - Bearclaw

Kenda - Bearclaw HTR

·
Registered
576 Posts
You may be thinking about the regular bias ply Kenda Bearclaws... The Kenda Bearclaw HTRs are 8 ply and radials.

Kenda - Bearclaw

Kenda - Bearclaw HTR
Ah, your right. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Finally got my Kenda Bearclaw HTR Radials mounted and on the quad. I am very pleased so far. A true 26" tire. Quite a bit larger than stock Maxxis tires. Rears are a full 11" wide. I took a few quick measurements of the rears and they seem to sitting at just under 26" on the bike @ 5psi.

Tread looks good, tires seem to be tough but pliable.

A lot bigger than the Black Diamonds I returned, boy I am glad to be rid of those... I do not know how some can say the Black Diamonds run true to size... I should have got a pic of the Black Diamonds beside the Kendas the Kendas are at least 2" inches taller.

As far as the "rubbing" issue goes on the Tourings and X2s I do not expect any rubbing, time will tell, will have to run it and check it out.

Plan on getting out for the first run tomorrow.

I will take some better pictures in the daylight.

By sloan1 at 2012-03-23

By sloan1 at 2012-03-23

By sloan1 at 2012-03-23

By sloan1 at 2012-03-23

By sloan1 at 2012-03-23

By sloan1 at 2012-03-23

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
They look awesome!

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Garrett. Sorry you perceived that you were being ignored. We generally take pride in welcoming and helping new people around here. But whoever said it was right, if you ask tough questions, people don't want to just respond with "I dunno" glad the thread was finally found by some people who had the knowledge you needed.

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
If they work as good as they look, you should be set for some hard core riding. :fing02:

·
Registered
31 Posts
If they work as good as they look, you should be set for some hard core riding. :fing02:

Yes, I am hoping they perform well. Had them out today for the first time, nothing too serious, about 90 km of old rail bed and forest roads, it was cold and rainy...

My first impression was holy crap are these freakin' smooth, I had to get off and check to see if they were properly inflated... my X2 550 was a smooth ride before... even smoother now...feels a great deal different... steering is more precise almost twitchy at first, by the end of the run I was getting used to them.

These are my first radial ATV tires, I think I can see now what all the fuss is about with radials... funny thing is, they have good flex up and down but side to side they are stiffer. Hard to explain really. I ran 5psi and I will have to experiment, I think they may even run better with a tad more air in them.

They seem to have good side wall protection.

Oh, and I forgot to mention they are freakin big too!

I had a small amount of rubbing on the "passenger foot peg brace" typical with the X2s and Tourings, I will tweak (hammer) those before I go out again, I will also crank up the shocks a few notches. They are on the lowest setting now.

I could notice a loss of some power, but it is a pretty good trade off considering the new level of traction and ride quality I have.

Overall I am very pleased.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts