Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed and wired an LED light bar on my 2016 Sportsman 570. I read a lot about how to install it prior to taking on the project. I was happy to find out that Polaris added a secondary "accessory" block under the front storage compartment for connecting accessories (such as a light bar) to. What I did not realize that the positive terminal on that accessory block is always hot. So when I wired my LED light bar and switch to it, the LED on my switch is always lit up - even when the key is out of the ignition.

I was just wondering if anyone could point me to a quick and easy wire on one of the harnesses that's a "key-on hot, key-off cold" that I could tap into as opposed to the always hot accessory block.

I know the switch doesn't draw much power, but it drives me crazy seeing that switch lit up when walking away from the quad and shutting the lights off in my garage.

I figured I'd ask here before I get my multi-meter out and start searching for the wire on my own. I know for a fact I'm not the only one to hook up a switch to that accessory bar and have an on/off switch that is always lit up.

I look forward to your responses.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I recently installed and wired an LED light bar on my 2016 Sportsman 570. I read a lot about how to install it prior to taking on the project. I was happy to find out that Polaris added a secondary "accessory" block under the front storage compartment for connecting accessories (such as a light bar) to. What I did not realize that the positive terminal on that accessory block is always hot. So when I wired my LED light bar and switch to it, the LED on my switch is always lit up - even when the key is out of the ignition.

I was just wondering if anyone could point me to a quick and easy wire on one of the harnesses that's a "key-on hot, key-off cold" that I could tap into as opposed to the always hot accessory block.

I know the switch doesn't draw much power, but it drives me crazy seeing that switch lit up when walking away from the quad and shutting the lights off in my garage.

I figured I'd ask here before I get my multi-meter out and start searching for the wire on my own. I know for a fact I'm not the only one to hook up a switch to that accessory bar and have an on/off switch that is always lit up.

I think the "accessory block" that you're referring to is actually a power distribution block. As you said, it has power all the time. What you're looking for is a switched accessory power wire. There should be 1 or 2 under the front storage compartment. I believe they're orange with a black stripe, and they already have a connector (blade or bullet) crimped on to the end.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll dig around tonight and see if I can find one of those orange wires for my LED light bar/switch power.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
If your power distribution block is 3 threaded terminals, the center one is usually battery, and the two outside ones are either a keyed 12v or ground. Take a look at it and see if there is an orange wire going to one end of it. That will be the keyed 12v end. If it doesn't have the wire, you can add it. They are just posts that are not connected together. Each is individual. I use them to hook up the electrics for a winch.

·
Registered
428 Posts
what was said above is correct. look for one of the two wires with a small connector on them and connect to the center lug of the block which should be dead at this point. Also what you can do it switch two of the wires on you switch so the led isnt on all the time. there will be 3 wires total going to the swtich (ground, power in from battery and power out to relay to turn light on). make sure you leave the ground wire where it is or you will blow a fuse. switch the other two wires to the opposite lug on switch and it will only light up when it is turned on. that's a common thing to happen if they aren't wired correctly . Been there myself a few times

·
Registered
7 Posts

Just did mine last week... That power distribution block is always hot. The accessory wires you want are orange+white striped, with a black spade connector. Once you open the center panel of the storage compartment, you'll see 2 of them on your left near the headlight pod (taped to a wiring bundle). I just used splice taps and some silicone to add water protection. Real easy. :smile

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just did mine last week... That power distribution block is always hot. The accessory wires you want are orange+white striped, with a black spade connector. Once you open the center panel of the storage compartment, you'll see 2 of them on your left near the headlight pod (taped to a wiring bundle). I just used splice taps and some silicone to add water protection. Real easy. :smile
Out of curiosity, why did you need to use a "splice tap" (assuming you mean one of these or similar) if there was already a spade connector on the end of the wire?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

I found the orange wires with the black stripe and the black connectors on them last night. I checked them with the multimeter and sure enough they were only hot with the key-on, just like I was looking for.

I pulled my hot wire for the LED off the power distribution block, added a male spade connector to the end of it and plugged it into the orange wire and.....Bingo. Issue solved.

Now the LED light bar only works when the key is "on" and the LED on the switch is only lit when the key is "on". Turn off the ignition and the LED switch turns off.

Thanks for the help. I may have found those orange wires eventually, but you guys saved me a lot of grief and aggrevation!

Reactions: Nbonugli

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yea, the size on the Polaris connector is odd. Couldn't find anything to fit securely off the shelf locally, so rather than put it off further (but to keep the connectors should I want to eventually get grip heaters), I just took the shortcut.

·
Registered
6 Posts
good day

I am trying to use the 2 orange wires as my keyed on power as well but I must have blew a fuse somewhere.Does anyone know where the fuse to this circuit would be

thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good day

I am trying to use the 2 orange wires as my keyed on power as well but I must have blew a fuse somewhere.Does anyone know where the fuse to this circuit would be

thanks
I have the 2014-16 Sportsman 570 service manual at home, but I won't be able to look at it until later on tonight after I get home from work. I'll see if I can locate the drawing for that electrical circuit and let you know where the fuse is located. I'll post something either tonight or tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
also another question

I installed my light bar with a wiring kit, the kit comes with a crappy button switch, can I change it out for a waterproof toggle switch and if so what kind do I need?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks

Much appreciated. I checked all fuses in the front but all seem good
There's a sticker under the fuse cover--I think it's the accessory fuse, just left of center in the middle (20A)... Might look good, but may want to test with a multimeter just to make sure.

Could be the relay is bad or a bad connection/ground? Might want to verify all your connections starting at the switch. Could also have polarity reversed somehow, which could blow the fuse when you keyed on. My kit was Chinese, so who knows what kind of QC they get.

·
Registered
259 Posts
good day

thanks
I have the 2014-16 Sportsman 570 service manual at home, but I won't be able to look at it until later on tonight after I get home from work. I'll see if I can locate the drawing for that electrical circuit and let you know where the fuse is located. I'll post something either tonight or tomorrow morning.
Don't have a 570 but in the fuse box mine said "Unswitch 10amp" for that accessory wire.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
good day

thanks
The fuse you are looking for is the accessory fuse in the fuse box Its a 20 amp fuse

·
Registered
72 Posts
also another question

I installed my light bar with a wiring kit, the kit comes with a crappy button switch, can I change it out for a waterproof toggle switch and if so what kind do I need?

Thanks
Definitely. Go on amazon or ebay and search "toggle switch" or "light bar switch" and have at it. If you want the Polaris factory switch it is part # 4011074.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Thanks for the part #

·
Registered
6 Posts
for a replacement toggle switch, do I need a switch with 3 posts? I tried one with 2 and it melted the wires. what amp switch do I need?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
good day

thanks
The fuse you are looking for is the accessory fuse in the fuse box Its a 20 amp fuse
Agreed. The wiring diagram shows that "Bulkhead Accessory 1 & 2" orange/white wires going to an "Accessory Fuse" and it references the numbers "56-58" (Load Center, Acc1, Acc2.) I'm not sure if those are fuse numbers or some reference to another drawing.

So, based on the electrical schematic and info, I agree that the 20A accessory fuse should be the right one for that circuit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts