Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took a trip to Southeast Oklahoma to ride the Billy Creek area in the Kiamichi Mountains this Thursday and Friday. It was our first trip there but it will definitely not be our last. It's a great trail system featuring several creek crossings, hill climbs. and great scenery. We had intended to run the Kiamichi Ridge but just didn't have enough time to ride everywhere we wanted. You can take the Choctaw Nation Trail from Billy Creek Campground all the way to Talamina State Park, a 27 mile ride, or there are several shorter trails that range from about a mile on up. This time of year it was especially scenic with the fall colors and the temperature was perfect. I would encourage all within a reasonable distance to make the trip.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
Nice! Looks like a great place to ride.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did you guys stay at? Do They have a trailhead to park and ride out of?

Ronnie
We rented 1 of 2 cabins at Billy Creek Cabins(Billy Creek Cabins for rent in Muse, Oklahoma and Big Cedar, Oklahoma in the Ouachita Mountains.). Just about a mile up the road from the cabin is Billy Creek Campground and there is an entrance to the trails there. While riding, we saw a Ouchita National Forest sign that said "Billy Creek Trailhead" with a small parking area but I couldn't tell you how to get there from a road. I highly recommend riding there.

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
I was riding there Friday as well. Small world I guess. It was a great ride. I have a cabin that's about a 20 mile trail ride to Billy Creek. There's hundreds of miles of trails around there. Went with some guys that really know the trails there and they showed me stuff I never knew about and I've been riding there for 2 years.
OP is correct, the fall colors were beautiful.
Favorite place to ride I've found.

Going riding there next Saturday as well. Big family ride- at least 3 families (12 people) so far.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was riding there Friday as well. Small world I guess. It was a great ride. I have a cabin that's about a 20 mile trail ride to Billy Creek. There's hundreds of miles of trails around there. Went with some guys that really know the trails there and they showed me stuff I never knew about and I've been riding there for 2 years.

Going riding there next Saturday as well. Big family ride- at least 3 families (12 people) so far.
Small world indeed. Have you ever ridden the Kiamichi Ridge Trail? That may likely be my next destination.
I told my wife while we were there that I am now in the market for a cabin in the Kiamichi's. LOL. For those that have never been, although not quite the majesty of the Rockies, the Kiamichi's are spectacular in their own right.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
What does the MVUM show for trails in this area? Are the trails open or closed or are you guys just riding where you want.

Ronnie

·
Registered
353 Posts

Small world indeed. Have you ever ridden the Kiamichi Ridge Trail? That may likely be my next destination.
I told my wife while we were there that I am now in the market for a cabin in the Kiamichi's. LOL. For those that have never been, although not quite the majesty of the Rockies, the Kiamichi's are spectacular in their own right.
In all reality, I have no idea if I've ridden the Kiamichi Ridge Trail. Usually ride the CNT- haven't even tried most of the dozens of trails off that. Last weekend's ride was with a gentleman I had met riding there a couple of weeks earlier and he was just showing me some new (to me) trails. Not sure of the name of any of them. I'm sure a couple of them we were on had no name- rarely used looking trails.
Maybe I'll see you up there sometime. We ride there quite a bit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What does the MVUM show for trails in this area? Are the trails open or closed or are you guys just riding where you want.

Ronnie
MVUM? I'm not familiar with that. At least where I was riding, Billy Creek Trail and the Choctaw Nation Trail (CNT), you are only supposed to ride on 'marked' trails. We saw several that weren't marked so we stayed off of them. There was a sign posted at the access point to the trails in the Billy Creek Campground stating such as of ??/??/2011. Keep in mind though, that was my first visit there so I'm still learning the area and the rules. Maybe Amccoy can shed some light.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts

Ronnie
MVUM? I'm not familiar with that. At least where I was riding, Billy Creek Trail and the Choctaw Nation Trail (CNT), you are only supposed to ride on 'marked' trails. We saw several that weren't marked so we stayed off of them. There was a sign posted at the access point to the trails in the Billy Creek Campground stating such as of ??/??/2011. Keep in mind though, that was my first visit there so I'm still learning the area and the rules. Maybe Amccoy can shed some light.
The MVUM is the Motor Vehicle Use Map for all National Forest in the U.S. You can no longer ride anywhere you want you must go by the map. The map can be gotten at most forest service offices for the area you will be riding or you can look at them on line. For that area you rode it is the Ouchita National Forest MVUM map. Just because a trail is there does not mean it is legal to ride. You must stay on the trails that are listed on the map and some are also seasonal or licensed vehicles only. If it not on the map it means it is closed. Tons and tons of trails have been closed in the Ouachta National Forest in Arkansas and Oklahoma. If you get caught on a trail not on the map or a closed trail it is a pretty hefty fine. I suggest you get a map and just see what the MVUM shows for riding in that area. The K trail is legal to ride but it is one way in and the same way out and it is rocky as hell. I believe the MVUM actually started in 2010 so it has been out for a while.

Ronnie

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Ronnie
The MVUM is the Motor Vehicle Use Map for all National Forest in the U.S. You can no longer ride anywhere you want you must go by the map. The map can be gotten at most forest service offices for the area you will be riding or you can look at them on line. For that area you rode it is the Ouchita National Forest MVUM map. Just because a trail is there does not mean it is legal to ride. You must stay on the trails that are listed on the map and some are also seasonal or licensed vehicles only. If it not on the map it means it is closed. Tons and tons of trails have been closed in the Ouachta National Forest in Arkansas and Oklahoma. If you get caught on a trail not on the map or a closed trail it is a pretty hefty fine. I suggest you get a map and just see what the MVUM shows for riding in that area. The K trail is legal to ride but it is one way in and the same way out and it is rocky as hell. I believe the MVUM actually started in 2010 so it has been out for a while.

Ronnie
I see. Yes, the cabins I stayed at provided me a map and signage at the trail head said to stay on marked trails only. Still plenty of trails to ride on but we saw many that weren't marked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts