Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kids 2001 90 Sportsman QUESTION...CDI.....ANSWERED....

CDI is shot and it calls for 0450722 Polaris part that fits 2001-2002. I have a bought a 2003 Polaris number of 0451018 that I believe the only difference is the rev limiter on the 2003-2006. That option was not available on 01 or 02. I have called Polaris direct and they can't give me the answer. However I reached out to a dealer I buy from and they said it should be fine. Has anyone used either CDI's and or have any experience switching one model year.
Thanks as always,:nixweiss:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Answer to CDI 90 Sportsman 2001-2002

For all those little riders... Found out that if you have a 2001-2002 sportsman like we do...and have a bad CDI mod you can use the Ricks Motorsport part #21010171. On the box it also has 15-506. This mod is on the web for model years 2003-2006. The rev limiter is nice to keep the bike around 10 mph, or just take the clip on the back off and it will run like a champ. It didn't have a strong spark at all so I first replaced the stater...Nothing... Coil.....Nothing....and found this CDI on E-bay cheap so I figured why not. I did call Ricks and they didn't have any info on the 2001-2002 but wanted me to report back on my findings. I hope this helps some one later on down the road, cause the OEM Polaris ones are not cheap and this is a fix, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm really glad to find this thread! My kid has an 01 and the CDI box is bad. I bought one for an 03 and was wondering if it would work. This is the one I bought.

Polaris Scrambler Sportsman Predator 50 90 Ignition CDI Box 00 06 | eBay

I do have a question if you could help. The 01 CDI does not have the 2 terminals that are on the back of the 03. I'm assuming that those terminals are for the rev limiter? Do I need to do anything to them to get it to work on my 01? short them? tie them to ground? Anything? Your help is appreciated!

Michael

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should have no problem with it. The two screws on the back are the rev limiter. If you loosen the screws a small metal clip behind will need to be taken off to make the bike go its top speed "Of course screw them tight again". Or just keep it in and it should only go about 10 mph. I tested mine when the kid was not around and its way to fast for him right now....but I had fun :) If you do leave the rev clip in it will sound like its getting to much gas around 10 mph...I just adjusted the screw in on the thumb throttle so he wouldn't go to deep into the throttle base. Just back off the gas and it rides fine. I was told from a dealer the worst thing that could happen is the CDI would go out, ride or idle rough, or not have any top end speed. NONE of these have happened.....I have looked alllllllll over to get my answer on this....even called Polaris direct and they only refereed me to a dealer. So for now we have about 2 hours on the new CDI and have not had issues....It fires right up every time. Hope this helps you out........

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem....Let the site know what you find out......I'm sure we are not the only ones with this issue. Thanks Jason:marchmellow:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Worked perfectly. the CDI box was much cheaper the one for my 01. Certainly is no reason to buy the more expensive one when the one for an 03 works like a champ! Thanks again.

Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts