Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 94 will not shut off by key or red kill switch? Sometimes it will shut off fine but other times will continue running after key is off and even removed? I checked wires at fuse block ( look good) Has anyone taken apart the lights/kill switch? Reverse works fine in 4wd and rev limiter is working in rev. Other threads suggest disconnecting a black wire by the engine.?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn't take it apart unless you plan on buying a new switch. I took the headlight/kill switch apart on my 1999 Sportsman and all these little springs, clips, retainers, bearings, etc. came flying out. I tried for hours unsuccessfully to put it back together and ended buying a new switch for about $100.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
just currious if you ever figured out this problem. I have the same bike with the same problem. Sometimes it works fine for days, then it won't shut-off. Also, every once in a while it will lose spark and not start at all. It will fire one time each time I hit the start button, then nothing after that. thatnks for any advice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 97 sportsman (400l 2 stroke). when it wont shut off it also runs like crap...have unplugged the switches and checked with ohm metter and everythings working.I'm looking at replacing the CDI unit next.

·
Registered
9 Posts
mine runs just fine. I won't know anything is wrong until I try to shut it off. I've checked all the electrical connections and both the key switch and the red kill switch, they both check ok and I cleaned the contacts just for good measure and still nothing. I'm thinking about putting a push-button kill switch wired to the coil so i can shut it off. Now I just flip the choke and let it die that way. Mine is also the 400l.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought mine this way....the regulator had went out and overcharged the battery (boiled it dry) and blew all the lights.it still runs and drives when acting up ...just has a loss of power and misses...fun as hell at times....It seems that the switches ground the CDI and if the short is in the CDI and opens that circut then it kinda makes sense.I had over 20 volts measured before the new regulator and that could have burnt it open..
Darrin

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had this problem with my 94 sportsman it would run poorly and not shut off it was a bad c d i box on mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the battery on mine checks fine and all my lights work properly with and without the engine running. CDI box seams to be the recamended problem and my next step. I've found several on E BAY, anyone have any good or bad things to say about any of those?? Thanks again.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I got my cdi box off ebay just make sure it is correct one and that they will refund your money if it is not a good one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts