Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. So I just got my first big quad. It's a 97 Sportsman 500. Previous owner had it rednecked up pretty good. So my question is, shouldn't the key switch kill the motor when switched off? Apparently he bypassed the reverse button and the kill switch on handle bar because it was to expensive to replace. So now I have to turn off the key then hold a button to kill the motor. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
Yes the key should kill the motor. Obviously the button should do it also. So either one should kill the engine independently of the other.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That's is what I figured. Does anyone know what wire from the key switch goes to ground to kill the motor?

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
The black wire is kill and the brown wire is ground - connect black to brown and the engine should die

Black wire goes from CDI unit to key switch, handlebar switch, and reverse limiter.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You can replace the lift-to-start multiswitch or the green Start button multiswitch with the less expensive later unit and a later ignition switch. If that's a problem.
I've done it on two 2000-2001 machines.
If done properly and carefully it's not a mess. You can't tell at a glance that I did this because nothing looks out of place.

I did label the ignition switch start wires "Handlebar Start Wires" with my Brady wire labler JIC someone else got in there and couldn't figure out why the start wires and switch weren't on the handlebar like the wiring diagrams call for.

You do have to properly install the six position Metripak ignition switch plug in place of the four position Metripak plug by extracting the terminals and putting them in the proper positions for the new key switch.
The start wires from the handlebar have to be re-routed to the new ignition switch and properly terminated to fit the unsealed six position Metripak 280 ignition switch plug.
The rest of the handlebar connections were unchanged between the 2012 switch and the 2000 & 2001 handlebar wiring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the kill button that this guy had wire up was connected to a black wire and the board. Unplugged the switch and connected the black to the board. Now everything works as it should.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I always thought the KILL switch was for those that had a wish to DIE. And that is why they ride the way they do. :devil:

The Devil made me do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts