Polaris ATV Forum banner

Do you turn your atv off using the kill-switch, or the key?

• Kill-switch

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Key

Votes: 69 95.8%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always use the key too turn my machine off. A friend always uses the kill switch. Just wondering what everyone else does. Is there a reason to use one over the other?

Thanks for replies/opinions!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I never even touch the off/run/off switch on mine.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Im sure it has to have 2 ways to shut it off by law.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
It's there to be able to kill the machine without taking your hands off the handle bars. like if it's on top of you or you need to maintain your grip on the brakes, etc. The only time it gets used on my machine is if my kids play with it when they are sitting on it. Then I've gotta figure out why it doesn't want to start. My step son is notorious for hitting it on his machine. then he can't figure out why it wont start.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's there to be able to kill the machine without taking your hands off the handle bars. like if it's on top of you or you need to maintain your grip on the brakes, etc. The only time it gets used on my machine is if my kids play with it when they are sitting on it. Then I've gotta figure out why it doesn't want to start. My step son is notorious for hitting it on his machine. then he can't figure out why it wont start.
Yes! That makes sense. Also, likely the law says it's required for this reason too. So obviously there is no problem with turning the machine the key.

·
Registered
482 Posts
In Can Am world, the key switches go bad plus there is a chip in the key for security. For the last 6 years, I've always used the kill switch. Now with my new Polaris, I actually have to turn the key to start it, just weird.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use the key. The switch is an emergency kill switch. On mine it'll only kill the engine so should it be day light and I for some reason had my lights on and forgot to turn them off my battery would be shot in no time. So for me it's always the key. I also pull my key when I go inside for the night.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
I keep my stereo switched to the key so most of the time while out riding I use the kill switch so not to interrupt my tunes, but when at deer camp or at the end of the day I leave the switch on and kill it with the key.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had kill switches go bad on street bikes and atvs, no matter what you use, open it up once a year and spray contact cleaner in the switch assembly.
It sucks when the kill switch gets corroded and no power goes to the ignition even in the run position. Moisture + age = corrosion, on any metal parts.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Key only. The last time I remember the kill switch being used was when I got off the quad, left it running to walk a portion of the trail ( or lack of) to see if it was a go or a turn around. I yelled up to my following rider to shut off my machine as I ended up walking a large amount. I told him to turn around. He took off and I went to start my quad and it did nothing.....scary thought for a second or two until I realized he used the kill switch. He would have came back eventually had it not started for some other reason but not a good feeling to be out in the middle of new territory and have a no start situation. :cowboy:

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've always used the kill switch because my key wouldn't shut off my bike till I replaced the switch. The power would still be on and drain my battery. Now it's key only ......all the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts