Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I killed my 2013 Sportsman 500HO's radiator this weekend. An unknown trail object punctured my lower grill and went right into the radiator. I don't know what the condition of the fan is. I've had overheating problems before from mud, so it's time to move the radiator. My questions....

1.) Do the radiator relocation kits still allow the storage box to be partially opened for storage???I've heard that they do, but I want to confirm this.

2.) Do the relocation kits include a fan? Do they fit a factory radiator/fan?

3.) How tough are the enclosures? Can they take being hit by branches? I ride in the woods and the quad sees a lot of abuse.

4.) How tough is the install for a weekend warrior who has never had his Polaris apart?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I don't have a radiator relocation kit, but I do know from recent personal radiator experiance....

1) Consider your front box rendered useless.

2) Reuse factory fan & radiator.

3) Sorry I can't comment here.

4) For a weekend mechanic.... pretty easy. I've never had the front end of my 2005 400 apart and I had the front end tore open, radiator removed and was cleaned up within about 50 minutes time. I've also had the front end of the 2012 800 apart for winch issues (self inflicted) and the front diff oil fill. Should be fairly easy.... IF your "Handy"!

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have a 2010 sportsman 800 Had overheating problems starting on day 4 of using this unit. The rad is too close to the ground. A simple mud hole and your rad on on the way to being plugged and then overheating starts. I relocated my rad to the top of the storage compartment. I had to drill holes in it so off course its not water proof anymore. I ran enough hose so I can open the compartment and store items I do not care if the get wet. I bought pelican case to make up for lost storage and mounted then on the back rack. The old polaris has never overheated since Best thing I have ever done. If you do not do this quick you will harm other items in the engine that cannot take overheating. Your mechanical seal for the water pump is the first one. It affects the rubber and it starts to leak. Been there done that!. I used a rubber down setup with the extra protection screen to protect the rad from branches etc. this setup is very strong I rolled my quad back in april. Saved the pod and was not damaged. Other things bent but thats easily fix. It took me about 10 hours to put it in . I have my rad fill line (cap) above the rad to make sure I get all the air out. I mounted in a a soft flexible bracket. So if I do roll the quad it just moves and does not break

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a 2010 sportsman 800 Had overheating problems starting on day 4 of using this unit. The rad is too close to the ground. A simple mud hole and your rad on on the way to being plugged and then overheating starts. I relocated my rad to the top of the storage compartment. I had to drill holes in it so off course its not water proof anymore. I ran enough hose so I can open the compartment and store items I do not care if the get wet. I bought pelican case to make up for lost storage and mounted then on the back rack. The old polaris has never overheated since Best thing I have ever done. If you do not do this quick you will harm other items in the engine that cannot take overheating. Your mechanical seal for the water pump is the first one. It affects the rubber and it starts to leak. Been there done that!. I used a rubber down setup with the extra protection screen to protect the rad from branches etc. this setup is very strong I rolled my quad back in april. Saved the pod and was not damaged. Other things bent but thats easily fix. It took me about 10 hours to put it in . I have my rad fill line (cap) above the rad to make sure I get all the air out. I mounted in a a soft flexible bracket. So if I do roll the quad it just moves and does not break
Thank you so much! This information is EXTREMELY helpful. This is the setup I'm going to use. I'm sick and tired of being the one to break down on the trail because of the radiator location on the Sportsman.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can anybody direct me to any vids, pics, or discussion of how to remove the radiator from a 2013 (or close) Sportsman? I'm finding some youtube vids of either 800cc Polaris models or old Sportsmans, but nothing around my year.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
'13 is already pretty high up on the bike.
Sounds like you really need a brush guard like the Guru with expanded mesh or Viking with slotted steel covering the radiator.

From orbit on my Android.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my 2013 I drilled holes to the front. Made the tear drops round. Then I ran the hoses through the holes. The front box to still water proof and useable.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
On my 2013 I drilled holes to the front. Made the tear drops round. Then I ran the hoses through the holes. The front box to still water proof and useable.
Got a picture of what you did? I'd like to see that....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have it apart right now. Cleaning it. We just got done with a 625 mile trip across the top of Wisconsin. I never had a problem with it over heating this trip. I will finish cleaning it to night. As soon as I get it back to gather I will post some pictures. I bought the wild bore kit off of ebay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased a Wild Boar kit and a new radiator, and am currently waiting for the parts. I have the front end of the quad apart; my radiator is absolutely mangled and was pushed back into the cooling fan. Luckily, the cooling fan survived. This relocation kit is very much needed for anybody who rides their Sportsman hard. I had a huge grill guard on the front of my ATV and the object managed to puncture the radiator through the one spot that wasn't armored.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, the Wild Board relocation kit finally arrived (2013 Polaris Sportsman 500 install). I'm less than thrilled with the instructions. I have a couple questions...

1.) The instructions mention only needing to splice/extend the wire to the fan. They say nothing about the thermostat wire to the radiator. Is there enough slack already available to pull the thermostat wire up through the top, or do I need to extend that as well.

2.) The kit doesn't specify how to mount coolant bottle and radiator cap to the enclosure. It only says that the bracket to do so is not included. Does anybody have any idea how I do this?

-Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 850 the t-stat is not in the radiator. Its in the block. I only need to extend the fan leads. I cut and spliced in between the plug and fan.
Also my cap is on the radiator and the cooling bottle is attached to the fan shroud.
I am trying to put some pictures on here but can't.
Sorry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts