Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll a couple weekends ago (when it actually warmed up a little) I finally got around to warming up the garage and installing the Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr (1.5 Gal.) and the Stearns Mad Dog Chainsaw Holder mounts on the wheeler. I got the Fuel Pack/Mount from my kids for Christmas and the Chainsaw holder I picked up for about $7 on an online Cabela's clearance over a year ago!

Didn't mount either as "provided" brackets allowed for.....

On the Fuel Pack, I ended up cutting up the brackets and repainting (only used the mounting base and cut bracket down to the "ring" section of the kit), creating a backing plate to spread out weight/support on the trunk lid, broached the bracket holes to allow for use of stainless steel carriage bolts.

On the saw mount I used u-bolts to attach it to the bumper. Only had to drill two new holes in the bracket to allow for the u-bolts to fit properly, and repainted.

Well here is the finished product(s).....

Note: The pictures angles make the saw bar/blade look like it hangs lower than it actually is.... it's still 3-4" above the hitch/frame bottom. Which is more than high enough ground clearance for the area I will actually be using it in..... when clearing shooting lanes, site lanes and clearing out deer trails for deer hunting season. Hope to find a used pull being mower to help cut the trails down also. Just like humans.... deer take the path of least resistance!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah man that looks real nice, and everything is out of the way, but still very easy to get to when you need it! Great job!!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I like how it turned out..... at first I wasn't 100% fond of the fuel pack mounted on the lid, but I didn't like the alternatives I had to choose from any better!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel packs are the hardest things to mount wIthout being in the way, awkwardly placed, or difficult to get to when needed. Nice work.

100% Correct.... I must have looked at about 4-5 different spots to mount it before I finalized on it's current home on the seat/cargo box lid.

Originally I was looking at a hinged setup where the Chainsaw mounting bracket is. But didn't like the idea of loosing access to the atv's trunk ( saw gracket does not conflict with it opening). Really didn't want to mount it on the front rack, as I use that for the quick access items and I don't like to drill holes in a $6500 wheeler or $2-300 rack lid. Thought about hanging it off the side via the rack extender, but didn't want to make my vertical foot print any wider..... so I decided on longer. :D

And Thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Are the kolpin fuel packs any good?? I see lots of people using them and I'm thinking of picking up a few

·
Registered
378 Posts
Looks Really clean. been thinking on a couple of spots to locate mine and by the look of this setup, I think this is the cleanest and best way to go. Nice work :)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I guess they are currently unavailable, though I am sure ebay has em, that's where i got mine. I like mine

·
Registered
378 Posts
I guess they are currently unavailable, though I am sure ebay has em, that's where i got mine. I like mine

I was wondering about this....I checked at Fleet Farm and the Floor MGR. said they had to remove them from the shelves for some kind of problem. After looking around like Cabella's, they said the same thing but did not give me any reason of actually why?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
They don't meet CA spec.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Looks Really clean. been thinking on a couple of spots to locate mine and by the look of this setup, I think this is the cleanest and best way to go. Nice work :)
Thanks. I think it looks good clean clean.... and secure enough.

I was wondering about this....I checked at Fleet Farm and the Floor MGR. said they had to remove them from the shelves for some kind of problem. After looking around like Cabella's, they said the same thing but did not give me any reason of actually why?
They don't meet CA spec.
Ridin (Ryan) said they are revising the spouts to comply with the California standards...... so in other words, gas cans soon won't work near as well as they do!

Or see here, from their website: http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/images/stories/pdf/KOLPIN_FUEL_PACK_COMMUNICATION_LETTER.pdf

·
Registered
378 Posts
Interesting. So, was there a problem with the spout or "it just didn't meet their standards" or " wasn't to their liking" so they say. Has anyone had a problem with their tanks?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'd guess it to be that a new CA standard (law) was implemented..... and Kolpin stepped up to the plate to revise thier tanks to be compliant (so they can sell in CA). From what I've read RotoPax will have to update thier's also!!

From the Engineering and Sales side.... It's far easier to revise a complete product line, then to have a brand new set of tooling made ( @ that size an easy $30-50K +, depending on if they only have to change the spout or the tank or even both. Just to change the mold of one or the other would be an easy $5-15K depending on what needs to be done.) and carry two near identical product lines!! One of which can be sold in 50 states.... and the other only 49 states. Simple math in the business perspective!! What would you do? = Revise All!

·
Registered
460 Posts
^I understand what you are saying, but it still sucks that Stupid CA causes all of us to suffer just due to the state being about 80% hippies.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^I understand what you are saying, but it still sucks that Stupid CA causes all of us to suffer just due to the state being about 80% hippies.
:D

Hippies :joint: is such a harsh word..... I prefer the term "Tree Huggers", it sounds so much friendlier. :flowers1:

I'm willing to bet that this CARB study finds that "it" also causes cancer in lab animals in CA...... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Looks good! I haven't had any problems with my Kolpin packs. They had defective seals/gaskets when I first bought them, but they sent replacements that work perfect now. I don't use the stupid no-leak spouts. I fill them with 1 gal each and pour directly into the tank. If you take your time and are careful you don't spill any.
On my older quad it was easy to pick a mounting spot. I put them up front since I don't have a lid to open like newer models do. 2 of them fit in between the rack extension and are under the high beam light in the pod.
I could have used a chain saw the other day. It's been a long winter and some of my trails have a LOT of blowdowns. I came around one corner and saw 5 trees over the road so had to turn around.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just picked up a kolpin 1 gal today. I like the idea of mounting it on the back of my lock and ride box as well. The only problem I see with that on my bike is with the little bit of extra weight on the back of my box I don't fully trust those two lock and ride mounts.... Anyone "beefing" up the mounts on the hard lock and ride box? If so how? I see Thor sells the metal mounts and I guess that would help but I am also thinking about adding two more mounts on the inside of the box too.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
not bad. sucks that the saw is mounted so low...might want to bring along a plastic bag or something to through over the engine/handle to keep the tire from spraying it down with mud and crap.

·
Registered
378 Posts

Hippies :joint: is such a harsh word..... I prefer the term "Tree Huggers", it sounds so much friendlier. :flowers1:

I'm willing to bet that this CARB study finds that "it" also causes cancer in lab animals in CA...... :rolleyes:

And it has been proven that humans cause cancer to lab animals :) Go figure huh? :hmmm:

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
not bad. sucks that the saw is mounted so low...might want to bring along a plastic bag or something to through over the engine/handle to keep the tire from spraying it down with mud and crap.
Kinda... Not really. Where I'll be using it, it likely won't see much mud or trail time really. But the bag is a great idea as a "just in case", thanks!

And it has been proven that humans cause cancer to lab animals :) Go figure huh? :hmmm:
Haha.... that is very true. So what your saying is that "you get what you ask for"!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts