Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
No issues with the 1.5 gallon leaking since it is not sitting on its side in the mount. I have the 4 gallon Kolpin units on the site for those who just don't want to spend the extra for the better Rotopax units.

You can really tell a difference in strength on the 4 gallons just by holding them. The RP is much thicker and has a stronger plastic. When customers call the shop for advise I always steer them in the direction of Rotopax.

As for the rack extender I think it will be in the way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Thor, Can you swing the mount around so the fuel can is inboard? Or will the bottom of the fuel can rub on the Lock down portion?

Thanks, Derek

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry Thor, Unbolt the top locking part for the fuel can and mount it inboard. Looking at the pic I was thinking the fuel can might rub on the Lock & Ride set up in that configuation?

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
On the 1.5 gallon you can not move it to the other side because the mounts will be in the way of the can.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Thor, I recall you were more of a RotoPax fan. Since you are also selling the Kolpin cans, are you satisfied they have addressed the leaking issues from a year or two ago?

Will one of these mounts work with a composite rear rack extender on the XP 550? I am guessing that will be in the way. I am reluctant to remove it. I may be more in the market for your front rack idea. Uugghh... decisions.
Lawdog> I was going to get the larger pack but went with 2 small ones up front.That way I don't have to remove my large rear bag to get at the extra gas.Mine leaked but Kolpin sent me new caps and I haven't had a problem since.My neighbor bought the 4 gal for the rear of his quad and wishes he had gone with 2 small ones like I did.They fit inside my rack extentions and don't block the pod light when riding at night.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thor...can the front cargo box of the 2011 500HO be modified to fit 1 gallon Rotopax fuel packs like the XP box?

I really want to get some fuel packs but don't want to install it on top of my front cargo box since it will obstruct the pod light. I also have a Kimpex box on the rear rack and there doesn't seem to be any suitable mounting surface.

Any advice appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'll tell ya' what.. One of these fuel pack manufacturers should simply cast packs that are an exact match for the inside of the factory storage boxes so they just fit right in without mods..
I'm one of those guys who doesn't like to cut plastics or retrofit my own hardware in place of factory etc.. Just makes me nervous that I'll do it wrong or it won't be strong enough or something.. A pack that could just lay down in the front storage box on my touring with plastic that fits in over the latches and makes use of the entire bin would be a home run for me.. I can't imagine I'm the only one..

·
Registered
69 Posts
No there is not enough room inside the box. You could maybe mount 2 one gallons on top between the light and hold them in place with the mount. Here is the link to the parts needed.

ROTOPAX FUEL PACK - 1 GALLON
Hey Thor, thanks for the feedback, I though about mounting two 1 gallon tanks on either side of the pod light on the front rack but was hoping there would be an alternative since I don't know if it will look good.

golf12.....I hear you on the front box issue...I barely use the front storage since everything goes in my rear Kimpex box. Maybe some day, someone will come up with custom fuel packs for the front factory boxes. Until then, might have to go with Thor's suggestion.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
No there is not enough room inside the box. You could maybe mount 2 one gallons on top between the light and hold them in place with the mount. Here is the link to the parts needed.

ROTOPAX FUEL PACK - 1 GALLON
Hey Thor, thanks for the feedback, I though about mounting two 1 gallon tanks on either side of the pod light on the front rack but was hoping there would be an alternative since I don't know if it will look good.

golf12.....I hear you on the front box issue...I barely use the front storage since everything goes in my rear Kimpex box. Maybe some day, someone will come up with custom fuel packs for the front factory boxes. Until then, might have to go with Thor's suggestion.

Been there & thought about that. Problem is that a company will be limited to just that product fitting only that unit. The cost to make the molds is in the tens of thousands. With the amount of units on the market vs those who would purchase them, its just not cost efficient to make.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
yeah, seems so simple, but I figured it had to be something like that or you and your team would have already come up with it.. I suppose the set up you have isn't that complicated for an avg hack like me to imitate, and it seems to be the only logical way to cary gas on a touring without carving up the box lid to mount packs externally to it..

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
yeah, seems so simple, but I figured it had to be something like that or you and your team would have already come up with it.. I suppose the set up you have isn't that complicated for an avg hack like me to imitate, and it seems to be the only logical way to cary gas on a touring without carving up the box lid to mount packs externally to it..
Its really not hard to do. All you need is a dremel or some other trimmers to trim part of area around the L & R mounts flush to the bottom of the box. Replace the L&R mounts with bolts & nuts drill 2 small holes to connect the strap to the bottom of the box. The strap is the key to keeping them flat & in place. I have been thinking about coming up with a complete kit for the XP but I am not sure there will be a big seller?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm not sure it would be a big seller. I think besides cost there wouldn't be much gained over the Rotopax Universal Mount and 4 gallon (or 2+2) can mounted to the top of the standard Polaris rack. You don't really gain any storage space using the front cargo box with cans mounted internally. If I'm not gaining any space I'd rather take the Polaris cargo box off and use the standard Polaris rack with the Rotopax stuff. Of course you could mount the Rotopax stuff on top of the Polaris Cargo Box but then the gas can rides too high interfering with the light from the console pod (at least for my liking). I guess there's trade offs with whatever you do. If saving money was the biggest factor then why use either. You could strap standard Wal-Mart blitz cans to the front standard rack at it would probably work with enough straps.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think there is way too much obsession with the interference with the pod light if mounted on the top of the storage box. I got my rotopax (4 gal.) and universal mount from Thor for my touring. It mounts really slick on the top of the box. Easy on easy off. 95 percent of our riding is during daylight. If you ride at night you can remove the tank in 20 seconds. If you get gaught out at night the other lights give plenty of light for getting home. I have used the pod light with the gas mounted and it is fine if you are really obsessed about using all the lights on a night trip where you are going to need extra gas. That application seems so rare compared to the tons of distance daylight riding where you need both the spare gas AND the box storage. I have spent hundreds of hours with the tank on top of the storage. Amount of time it interfeared with my pod light..? maybe thirty minutes. Sacrificing the convenient front box storage for most riders for the sake of rare distance night riding seems like straining at a gnat while swallowing a camel.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thor,

Would the 1 or 2 gal rotopax with mount fit on the front of a SP500 that has the front rack extender on it?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts