Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good advice. I agree as I am preparing to purchase the Rotopax 4 gallon fuel pack c/w universal mounting bracket for my 2012 Polaris 550 Touring

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lock & Ride = Huge disappointment

I have this same system as well. I have noticed that the lock and ride setup is fine as long as you are riding on smooth terrain. Riding in the extremely rough terrain of Nevada, the lock and ride brackets kept coming loose and I would lose the whole fuel pack and bracket. I ended up having to drill holes in the rear rack and bolting the bracket down with locking nuts.

The problems continue. Since the rear "rack" that comes standard on the 2012 Polaris Sportsman 500 is a composite material it flexes. The weight of 1.5 gallons of fuel causes it to bounce around somewhat and I am afraid the composite rack is going to crack some day.

All in all I am extremely disappointed in the rack system on the newer Sportsmans. I also have an older 2000 Polaris 500 with a regular grid system rack where I do not have any of these problems, you just simply bolt everything on with U-Bolts and everything stays put just fine.

I dont think that Polaris thought out the lock and ride set-up thoroughly enough. The only thing that they had in mind when creating the lock & ride system is their pocket book. They knew that by doing a unique setup like this it would force people to use their products. Unfortunately they don't have enough products available to satisfy everyone's needs, and the products they do offer are way over priced.

People like myself are forced to buy aftermarket products and retro-fit them to work with this disappointing rack system.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I added washers to lower the rubber plugs in the holes as they were to short and my tank kept flying off. I also replaced the plastic twist handles with lock nuts so I could turn the can around. Much more solid. Original design made no sense and did not work whatsoever unless u we're riding on carpet

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you think there is a way to add washer or spacers with longer bolts to put the mount on the outside of the rear rack extender with the KXP Lock and ride gas mount system? Also thinking of removing one of the plungers and using my Lock and Ride polaris box through the hole to hold down the gas can mount. That way I could keep my rear rack extender and rear storage box. Thoughts???

41 - 44 of 44 Posts