Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I haven't used Kolpin products so I can't comment on them. I do have Rotopax fuel packs and have had no leaks with them. They have pressured up and swelled up to the point I thought they could burst but still no leaks. It was difficult to release them from the mounts as they got very tight when packs swelled up. I mount them flat on my front storage box.
Agreed, same thing happened to pops and mine on our front racks last week. As they sit in the sun the buldged to the point they where very difficult to remove.... NO leaks!!!

CW

·
Registered
307 Posts
What tops did you use for the no leaking? The ones that Koplin sent to me were the 2 piece black tops(well 3 if you include the washer).

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Stock unaltered Kolpin tops... Mine on the 4 gal have a black top and a green plastic latch you need to turn to dispense fuel. My 1.5 Gal also have a green latch but a red top.

CW

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hmmm I don't have either of those tops. I have a 2 piece black top and a 2 piece black and yellow top.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Mine has both a black turn on ring, a small black cup, the large pour spout, and the rubber seal. I have used just the turn on with the cup and seal it did not leak. I have also used the spout upside down into the tank with the seal around the spout and the black cup on the outside top. This is the way I travel with it on the quad I have never had one leak when I was out on trail not even with heat expansion.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Hmmm I don't have either of those tops. I have a 2 piece black top and a 2 piece black and yellow top.
The 4 gal are two piece caps too. A "Top Hat" looking thing... The spout with a gasket and the threaded cap with a hole in the center.

CW

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you guys that are laying the 4 gal pack on your rack are you using the brackets that you can buy from Kolpin or just using straps to hold it down. If you are using a bracket which brackets do you use. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Are you guys that are laying the 4 gal pack on your rack are you using the brackets that you can buy from Kolpin or just using straps to hold it down. If you are using a bracket which brackets do you use. Thanks.
I use the Kolpin brackets.

Pack Mount

Here is mine...

CW

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Do you have a problem on rough trails with the fuel tank ever moving on you
It will NOT move in these mounts... It WILL move allot in the velcro straps.

CW

·
Registered
393 Posts
Here Is my mount I put the Kolpin Mounts on a piece of sheet metal then mounted that to MDF board. I used bolt couplings as nuts on the existing rack metal bracket holes, this way I can mount the sheet with the brackets and board bolt it to the couplers and still pull it off when I don't need it on. Also drilled out MDF so it sits over the bolt couplings less stress this way more stable works awesome. Also put straps on my box to keep the weight from breaking it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have not used a rigid mount for mine just yet. I use the straps right now and it will move around if you don't strap it front/back left/right.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
NICE CLEAN WORK Canderson!!!

Do you have a problem on rough trails with the fuel tank ever moving on you
I have the Kolpin mounts bolted directly to the box lid. It is solid. The box lid is stiff enough to support the weight if the lid is open or shut.
As you saw, Mine too. But I was worried about the crappy hinges. So I also added straps to better support those hinges, when the lid is open. ;)

CW

21 - 34 of 34 Posts