Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a weird question but does anyone know if rotopax mounts fit Kolpin tanks? Reason is I have (2) 4 gallon Kolpin fuel packs I want to make a plate to mount them both on my front rack. Rotopax makes an extension to mount 2 packs on top of one another, where Kolpin does not any ideas?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yea, I'd like to see this too, I have a 4 gallon, and 2 1.5 gallon tanks, my mounts are set up to except either one, but would like to "stack" them for long hauls.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I'd like to see this too, I have a 4 gallon, and 2 1.5 gallon tanks, my mounts are set up to except either one, but would like to "stack" them for long hauls.
What kind of mounts do you have the, the Kolpin ones? Just wondering how sturdy these plastic Kolpin ones are vs the Rotopax mounts which are aluminum.
I did email a rep from Rotopax he said their mounts are a 1/8" to big to fit Kolpin packs. But I'm thinking if they are better I will just shave them down a bit that way I can stack them.
Was also thinking of just getting a longer threaded rod for the Kolpin mount but worried with 2 packs if it will break or the threads will tear out from the weight.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope they to not fit.
They do not fit whatsoever, or they need a little tweaking, guy at rotopax said, only 1/8" to big, is it more then?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
The Rotopax mounts are metal. Hard to tweak. The Kolpin is plastic and can be tweaked. Been there done that.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Rotopax mounts are metal. Hard to tweak. The Kolpin is plastic and can be tweaked. Been there done that.
Does the Kolpin mount hold up though

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I used the kolpin mounts for my 4gal tank mounted on my front box. I like them just fine
But I will try and make my own for the wife's Trail Boss. I'm thinking wooden disc the size of the indentation. With a big bolt and nut captured behind. I'll post pics later. 15$ for the mount isn't too bad but if I can make it for free why not?

CW

·
Registered
385 Posts
This might be a weird question but does anyone know if rotopax mounts fit Kolpin tanks? Reason is I have (2) 4 gallon Kolpin fuel packs I want to make a plate to mount them both on my front rack. Rotopax makes an extension to mount 2 packs on top of one another, where Kolpin does not any ideas?
You cannot use the Koplin tanks with the Roto-pax mounts.

However, you can use the Roto-pax tanks on the Koplin mounts.

As for the Durability of the Kolpin mounts the original set on Wifeys machine has been holding strong for 4+ years. If you were to have an issue I am sure Kolpin would take care of you. They have sent me misc parts in record time and I know several others who were blown away at their exceptional customer service........ something you just don't get from Roto-Pax.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yea the Koplin mounts are fine, I've got 2 and my brother has 1, no problems at all. In fact, my brother just ordered another mount and Fuel Pack Jr. and my dad just ordered 2 sets for the front of his of the same. I could make an extension pretty easy, but would like to see something from Koplin to make it easier. Overall I'm still real happy with the Koplin tanks and mounts.

Mike

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well this is all good info, read a few posts lately that said this forum was garbage, lol I don't know but from my end I like the info from people who know the machines and also ride them.
With that said, I believe I will go with the Kolpin mounts, I have had good luck with their fuel packs and their customer service is 2nd to no one. Besides that I checked out 2 packs on top of each other and it gets in the way of the pod light, so not to keen on that. Besides I can get the Kolpin mount for $14.99 a piece, can't beat cheap.
Again thanks for all the help from everyone.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I actually disconnected my pod light for that same reason - 2 fuel tanks sit high enough to block the ligh. Then I installed lights on my front bumper and wired them into the pod light so now I flip on the high beams and the bumper lights come on instead of the pod, plus this way I am only drawing power for only one of the lights 55 watts instead of both of them. Let me rephrase that -both driving lights on the bumper are 55 watts each and the pod light was 55 watts. disconnecting the pod took 55watts away and installing 2 driving lights added 1 extra 55 watt light to the power supply.

I need to come up with a mount to hold both fuel paks stable on the front of my 850xp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think you asked about stacking 2 4 gal fuel packs and wanting to make a longer rod. I made one from threaded rod cut to the correct length and used thread locker on a knob I bought at the auto supply store. I now have one set to hold one fuel pack and another set to hold 2 stacked on top of each other. I just move the flat hold down plate to the top fuel pack and screw the bolt tight so they don't slide on each other. I also use a piece that rolled rubber stuff that is sold to put in the bottom of your tool chest drawers to keep the fuel packs from sliding on each other. Probably have less than $5 invested. Used this set up for 4-5 years with no problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts