Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always heard bad things about the tanks leaking, but was wondering if the newer koplin tanks are any better and that koplin addressed the issue. I understand they stand behind product and there customer service is great but I really don't want to be on the trail to find this out. only reason I am asking is that local dealer has them in stock and I can get a good deal.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
Me and my bud bought them for our 1000s. Over a year of abuse and no issues. you have to watch putting the cap on because if the spout turns the wrong way it will not seal. other than that they are awsome.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The Rotopax IMHO are much better in design than the Koplins. I have two 1 gallon Rotopax and the closure / seal system is simply amazing. Never a drop leaked and the can is build like a tank. I ride Windrock all the time (110000 acres) and have yet to need the 3 extra gallons I carry (3 one gallon cans). I have went all the way to the other side of the park, out of the park and always make it back to the parking lot (might tap one gallon just to make sure). I was going to buy the 4 gallon tank and now I am glad I bought the 1 gallon tanks. Two fit in the front cargo and I have a Walmart can that goes in my rear cargo. I usually come home with the two rotopax full and use the gas in my lawnmower. The advantage of the large tanks is if you have a gas hog or you want to share your gas with other. Also, if you are planning on more than one day out on the trails then the extra gas is your friend. We ride all day 10+ hours but always come back to the parking lot at night. Out of our group the fuel mileage going from worse to best is Kaw 750, 850 XP, 400 Sportsman, 680 Rincons. However, the Kaw Brute force just sucks gas in Low Gear so he carries a 4 gallon can. Most everyone else makes it back on the tank they left with but the Brute Force just loves gas. One tip, when you fill your ATV the neck of the filler tube sits quite a bit down in the tank. If you are careful you can get an extra half-gallon of gas if you bring it all the way up to the top. I know they don't recommend that but I've not had an issue. I always fill up just before I ride so I quickly burn off that little bit allowing room for any expansion. I wouldn't do that then let it sit in the sun for two hours.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I put one on both my wifes and mine and the only thing I noticed is if I don't get the caps tight enough they leak. As long as they're tight, no problems. I did notice that when I store my wheelers in the enclosed trailer in the heat, I have to loosen the caps a little so they vent or the tanks expand quite a bit. Don't know if that's a problem or not.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I have owned two... One split at the seams but also leaked from day one. The second is also splitting but only drips from the nozzle.
I also own four 1.5 gal size. I like these better BUT if laid down will also weep Regulardless of what you do.

The 4g is too large to mount upright on my machine so I mounted it flat on the front rack. Did this on both our machines. The first one split the first season. These machines are stored In doors, when outside COVERED. We ride about 3-500 miles a year mostly over a 3 month riding season. This one was never abused, overfilled or left to swell in the sun.

I found the 4gal cumbersome to use. The common safety's on all gas cans cause more spillage trying to use than the old ones EVER spilled. The smaller 1.5 gal is nicest.

Be CAREFUL filling it. Be careful positioning the nozzle because as mentioned, if its not PERFECTLY aligned it WILL LEAK! Its a PIA. On my 1.5 I bought auto store nozzles that seem to work better for me. If I did not have so much Invested monitory and in custom building mounts I would buy better quality.

Kolpin did step up for me and replace my first 1.5 g cans. But these also leaked very shortly after as well. Service is very important and I did receive good service. But the design is flawed simply said they leak or will leak. Best advice I can offer is to mount upright, keep out of sun, do not overfill and be VERY CAREFUL when filling. Do NOT apply any pressure or force to the sides of the tank or its nozzle.

Good luck,

CW

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Seem to be a LOT more problems with the Koplin fuel containers than the RotoPak

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I went on a forum surf and the concensus is Rotopax is much better than Koplin. The older Koplins had better reviews. The Koplins are injection molded plastic and the rotopax and rotary molded. I have seen both and the Koplins look a fancy standard gas can (look and feel), the rotopax are thicker and tougher. The seal and rachet lock system on the rotopax are very slick. Don't think the price difference is much for something that should last forever.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If I had the choice to do it over, I'd go with the Roto.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That being said tho, I've been using the Kolpins for almost a year now and have not had one problem with them. They look extremely similar. They look like they come out of the same factory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts