Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Lake George Winter Carnival runs the entire month of February. They have many events and this awesome tourist town becomes ATV/Snowmobile friendly.

Sick Puppies ATV Society will be attending Duffy's Atv Poker Run on Saturday February 15th.
It's a great weekend of lake riding with tons of things to do.
For more info go to Lake George Winter Carnival

Also visit our Facebook page for more info as we get closer to the date
https://www.facebook.com/Sick.Puppies.ATV.Society

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
This looks like such a blast!!!

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We will also be riding The Great Lake Sacandaga Sunday February 16th.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'll be up in LG this February too, first year, looking forward to it.

Spent a lot of time at Sacandaga as well but have never ridden there.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Sounds like a good time!

would I need to register my ATV in NY to ride at this event? and if so, what do they get for an out of state registration. Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure NY recognizes out of state registrations. Also need basic liability insurance.

Come up for the poker run on the 15th. Makes for a great day. After the poker run. They do a bonfire on the beach followed by fireworks!

On Sunday we will ride Lake Sacandaga. There they have ice races and sled drags!
I will be staying at The Georgian Hotel Friday 2/14 - Sunday 2/16.
Book you're rooms if needed soon to get the best rate.
Go to: The Georgian Lakeside Resort Hotel, Vacations, Dining, Lake George, NY

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quotein Dutchess defleppardsg;366436]I'll be up in LG this February too, first year, looking forward to it.

Spent a lot of time at Sacandaga as well but have never ridden there.[/quote]

Where in Dutchess County?
I'm from Saugerties.
Any good riding out your way?
I deliver out that way and see trails and powerlines... just don't know anyone with an atv out that way.
We have powerlines and some other trails here.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Where in Dutchess County?
I'm from Saugerties.
Any good riding out your way?
I deliver out that way and see trails and powerlines... just don't know anyone with an atv out that way.
We have powerlines and some other trails here.
Hey, I'm from Hopewell. We have trails around here but very few that I would say are worth traveling to. Mt. Beacon is a great ride, we do that once a year. The power lines are good trails, but they are short runs. Sometimes I'll ride the stretch near my house, but you have to ride the roads to get there which is a risk. We rode a midsize trail system in Hyde Park right off of 9G. I haven't been yet but guys I ride with go up to Kingston occasionally. Otherwise we travel to PA or up to Lake George.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used to go/ enter the ice drags every year and even did the ice cross race one year with my Prairie. Any idea why they do not have the atv ice drags anymore?

·
Registered
13 Posts
That would make sense if they had the event scheduled, but then canceled it due to thin, or no, ice. However, they still have the AMA sport quad atv, and motorcycle, races scheduled for the 15th/ 16th. Trailpass used to sponsor the ice drags. Maybe they did not want to do it anymore and no one else picked up the torch?.... The ice drags were a great time. Especially for us sport utility guys that might not want to mix it up with the sport quads in a circle, or circuit type course, race. My Prairie handles pretty good, and goes like stink, but I do not want to try and put a 700 lb 4x4 quad up against sport quads unless it is in a straight line. lol

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well with the temps dropping down again hopefully it will freeze over in time.
last year we went all the way north of long island.
Had a blast!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Cars and semi trucks used to short-cut across the ice of lake champlain rather than drive around it. They'ld use a boat launch ramp on one side and a boat launch ramp on the other side.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can remember the ice being so solid that they actually had to shut the ferry down and get an icebreaker to open the channel for the ferry from Plattsburgh (Cumberland Head) to VT. But, have not seen a complete freeze over in probably eight to ten years now.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Right. Here's another one. For those not familiar with these lakes, they're long and narrow.

On the lake George east shore, up north it's a very long drive around to it. A construction company was hired to build up an underwater base of boulder close to shore (it was deep) so a crib dock could be built on top of them. So rather than drive around, they drove dump trucks full of boulders across the ice and then dumped them directly on the ice and then stacked them up with an excavator. When the ice melted they would sink and then the crib dock could be built.

Anyway, I know a guy who got hired by this company. On his first day, he rode in the dump truck. He said when those boulders slammed onto the ice, shaking it badly, he said f-this and quit. Hehehehe.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Temps will crash this week... hopefully cold enough for some good ice making!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
****** ICE REPORT ******
So far 12"+ in the southern bay with 4" of snow covering it.
looks like some lake riding is goin down!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts