Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I clean my pre air filter often, but it is always full of black dust. Is this normal? The bike preforms well, it accelarates hard up to 95km/h.
Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
are you riding in dusty conditions the pre-filter is white so it will show even the smallest amount of dirt that means its doing its job

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ye, dusty old logging roads. Like I said the dust is black not sand like. I guess I will clean it well after the snow falls then ride it a while and see, it should not need to filter out dust then right? If it's still black then it must be something else, running rich or belt dust?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Ye, dusty old logging roads. Like I said the dust is black not sand like. I guess I will clean it well after the snow falls then ride it a while and see, it should not need to filter out dust then right? If it's still black then it must be something else, running rich or belt dust?
Mine comes up black every time it needs cleaning. Never really thought of what may cause it.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i think the dust mixed with fuel vapor and a little oil vapor is what turns it black the air box is full of fuel vapor and crankcase is also vented into the air box unless it is an excessive amount of black it should be fine just my 2 cents... Ray

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so from what you guys are saying, this is nothing I should be worrying about? While I have your attention, what tire pressure are you using/or recommend for a lighter steering?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
OK, so from what you guys are saying, this is nothing I should be worrying about? While I have your attention, what tire pressure are you using/or recommend for a lighter steering?
I run 5 PSI, no more.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
68 Posts
4 psi if you are a small guy 5 psi if you are a big boy haha but no higher than 5 psi to much air and tires will not flex as much and tend puncture instead of flexing over sharp rocks and sticks when a little softer ..Ray

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So 5 it is....lol. I gotta get a good low pressure tire gauge. Canadian tire have one but it's 5-50 lbs +/- 1 lbs, this is probably not accurate enough right?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
So 5 it is....lol. I gotta get a good low pressure tire gauge. Canadian tire have one but it's 5-50 lbs +/- 1 lbs, this is probably not accurate enough right?
Did you not get a tool pouch with your 400HO? It has one in it!

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
68 Posts
any buggy shop will have low pressure gauges not sure on the cost mine came with the buggy..

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
Spend a little and get a good low pressure gauge. The ones that come in the tool kit are not always accurate. I've had two that read 1 1/2 lbs. different. I know, that doesn't sound like much, but when you are only talking 5 psi, now it's 20% different. That's quite a bit.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Spend a little and get a good low pressure gauge. The ones that come in the tool kit are not always accurate. I've had two that read 1 1/2 lbs. different. I know, that doesn't sound like much, but when you are only talking 5 psi, now it's 20% different. That's quite a bit.
Plan on doing that, and adding a small compressor too. Going to get a 2 up seat this winter too.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts