1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, took TxRonnies and other advice and changed my fluids today as follows:

Front gearbox: Mobil 1 synthetic ATF
Transmission:Mobil 5W20 motor oil
Rear Diff: Amsoil 75/90 synthetic (had it in the garage)
Engine oil: Mobil 1 0W40, napa gold filter.
Lubed all 19 zerks

Didn't change the ADC fluid as it still looked very clean. Took it out and beat it around around and had great gear engagement, throttle response and neck snapping acceleration. Very smooth engagement with no jerking which hasn't been a problem anyway.

All in all took about 2 hours taking my time and saved myself over $200 bucks labor and parts at the stealership. The 19 zerks are the biggest challenge...lol

Did find some slop in the lower a arm bushings so might replace those before Windrock but may just wait till after the ride. Only about 1/8" play so not too worried. Just need to put skid plates back on and ready for mountian bashing. Also, the pistol grip grease gun did make the PITA grease job quite a bit easier.

Thanks for the advice on the fluid alternatives. Saved me a trip to the dealer and quite a bit of $$$$$. Front gearbox had the dirtiest fluid so it would appear to get the most abuse.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Thought you were already in the new castle?

Changed all my fluids last weekend. Have you considered using JCcapri's bushings?
I installed a set a few weeks ago......love them!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts

Lubed all 19 zerks

Didn't change the ADC fluid as it still looked very clean. Took it out and beat it around around and had great gear engagement, throttle response and neck snapping acceleration. Very smooth engagement with no jerking which hasn't been a problem anyway.

All in all took about 2 hours taking my time and saved myself over $200 bucks labor and parts at the stealership. The 19 zerks are the biggest challenge...lol

Did find some slop in the lower a arm bushings so might replace those before Windrock but may just wait till after the ride. Only about 1/8" play so not too worried. Just need to put skid plates back on and ready for mountian bashing. Also, the pistol grip grease gun did make the PITA grease job quite a bit easier.

Thanks for the advice on the fluid alternatives. Saved me a trip to the dealer and quite a bit of $$$$$. Front gearbox had the dirtiest fluid so it would appear to get the most abuse.
Cannot beat John's bushings. I have around 2000 miles on mine and not any movement at all and I have never put a grease gun to them. I greased them well on assembly and they are still like new.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought you were already in the new castle?

Changed all my fluids last weekend. Have you considered using JCcapri's bushings?
I installed a set a few weeks ago......love them!
Just emailed him for a quote! Nope, still waiting on the closing...can't wait to move though...won't know how to act with that garage!..lol

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Lubed all 19 zerks

Cannot beat John's bushings. I have around 2000 miles on mine and not any movement at all and I have never put a grease gun to them. I greased them well on assembly and they are still like new.

Ronnie
Ronnie, can you change the lower bushings without pulling the whole a arm assembly off the ATV?

·
Registered
737 Posts
You probably could leave it attached to the hub /balljoint on the wheel side. However it will be much easier to put the new bushings in with the a arm out of the machine and on a bench. I used my vise to get them in they are tight. I only have about 4 rides on mine. I tried greasing them when I changed all of the fluids they wouldn't really take any grease they are still so tight. I also liberally greased them upon assembly.

Congrats on the new garage. It will make wrenching projects so much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I was lazy when I did mine. Changed the front one day, rear the next.
Had about three hours work both days.

I do not see how you could change them without removing the control arm.
You REALLY want to do change them all.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ronnie and FAA..i will yank the arm...I might as well replace them all while out...anything else to replace while I'm that far in?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I didn't need to replace anything. Make sure you have some emery cloth on hand if you need to clean corrosion from the sleeves. C-clamps were instrumental in pressing the new bushings in place. I did not want to pound them in place with a hammer.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much of each fluids? I need to change mine, and thinking of going to oreillys and buying it all tomorrow.
If you have an 850 like mine it was as follows:

Tranny 32 oz.
Front gearbox 9.3 oz
Rear diff. 7.1 oz.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
It is easier to take the A Arms off the machine but it could be done with them on. You need to clean the sleeve and also clean the holes in the A Arms good to get any dirt out. Sand the sleeve good to get the rust off and grease the bushing and the sleeve real good when you put it back together. It just takes a little time to do it. A C clamp works great for putting the bushings in. Might as well check the ball joints when you have the A Arms off.

Ronnie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts