Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like im starting to develop a leak in my crankcase seal in my 2016 Sportsman 1000XP HL.

Whats the best solution (other than splitting the case and re sealing)?

Is there an RTV out there that i can clean up and seal over for the time being?

Attachments

·
8,879 Posts
That looks like just a seep. A little annoying but nothing to worry about. You might try tweaking the bolts a little but I don't think there's anything you can put on the outside that will make a difference. I'd just live with it.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
That's not a leak, it's a seep - the attached pics are of a leak

RTV is not oil resistant - that's RTV sealing it now. If you want to 'surface seal' that, clean it with steel wool and lacquer thinner - when the surface is clean (no oil) and dry, apply Three Bond 1184 liquid gasket and allow it to dry completely (24 hours is usually sufficient). 1184 is self leveling, so it will run and leaves a thin covering. You could also use Epoxy or JB Weld (they are easily removed when the unit is being rebuilt). If it leaked like the ones in the pics, only a rebuild and part replacement will stop the flow.
IMG_20191204_082118.jpg
IMG_20191204_082253.jpg
IMG_20191204_082329.jpg

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I ride in the mud/water a lot so i just wanted to make sure its okay. The way i saw it was, if oil is getting out water can get in.

I typically change the oil after every ride anyways but like i said, just wanted to do anything possible to stop it.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Water won't always get in where oil gets out - water has a higher surface tension than oil - that's one reason why oil floats on water. It also why water will run off a tent, but oil will soak in.

·
8,879 Posts
Unless you're planning on taking it down to around 30 ft. underwater I don't think you've got anything to worry about as far as water pushing INTO the engine lol. Hot oil under pressure however, WILL push out... sometimes even with an otherwise good gasket or seal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts