Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all

New to forum and new to Polaris

Just picked up a 95 xplorer for shits and giggles.

Had the cylinder bored 1mm oversized with new piston and rings. Carb kit and new brakes

Now it appears that a previous owner tried to tap the cylinder down in place and has left a beautiful little dent on the top of the outer cylinder wall immediately over the exhaust port. It's now pissing out anti freeze and making a bit of a mess.

Would appreciate any guidance on how to deal up this little dilemma.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Did you just do the piston and bore job? Was it not running when you bought it? Maybe you inadvertently dented jug during re assembly and didn't notice it? You can either have top of jug milled down to remove dent or buy a new jug.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just did the piston and bore. Had 70lbs compression when I got it. I didn't hit the cylinder. Regardless it's dented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Call Rick Ritter. Ritter cycle racing in St Jacobs Illinois. He has jugs and heads on the shelf. Maybe he can do the mill job and then clearance the head?

·
Registered
630 Posts
If the dent was there before the machinist bored it machinist would have said something, that jug gets clamped into the boring bar table on that surface so it has to be true.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

With all do respect im not trying to debate who caused it. Maybe it was me. I'm just looking for creative ways to solve it. I have guidance to get the cylinder and head milled. Are there any other creative ideas?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

With all do respect im not trying to debate who caused it. Maybe it was me. I'm just looking for creative ways to solve it. I have guidance to get the cylinder and head milled. Are there any other creative ideas?

How deep is the dent....in mm's or thousandths

·
Registered
177 Posts
That's about 20 thousandths....nothing that I know would seal something that deep. Machining may be your only/best route.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts