Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 sportsman 500 the rear output shaft seal. Keeps leaking. Ive replaced it 4 times it keeps leaking there is no damage to the metal where the seal rests. The spline shaft is perfect and I installed another today on my bike and within 6 miles it started leaking again.....could it be the grease I put in the teflon seal?
I can't figure why its leaking everytime.....
Here is some pics from today. New seal and the leak 6 miles after..
Thank u everyone
k

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm guessing the internal bearing is shot in the gear case. Look at how off center the input CV race is to your seal- its no where near centered. The race is wearing right up against the seal & eating the bottom of your seal out in no time each time you replace the seal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing the internal bearing is shot in the gear case. Look at how off center the input CV race is to your seal- its no where near centered. The race is wearing right up against the seal & eating the bottom of your seal out in no time each time you replace the seal.
Ive tried to wiggle it and everything the internal bearing looks fine I have no play?

·
Registered
253 Posts
There is a bearing on each side or a bearing on one side and a bushing on the other. Ones probably bad and the other is not. Just my opinion plus what the picture you posted shows.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
I'm going with a bearing problem - just because it didn't 'wiggle' does not mean the bearing is not a problem - seals are flexible and pretty forgiving, but a groove worn into the output gear collar coupled with a few thousandths of an inch of wear in the bearing will cause a problem like you are experiencing.

#49 - ball bearing on each side of the output gear/hub

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm going with a bearing problem - just because it didn't 'wiggle' does not mean the bearing is not a problem - seals are flexible and pretty forgiving, but a groove worn into the output gear collar coupled with a few thousandths of an inch of wear in the bearing will cause a problem like you are experiencing.

#49 - ball bearing on each side of the output gear/hub

View attachment 153371
I was hoping you would see this and chime in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a bearing on each side or a bearing on one side and a bushing on the other. Ones probably bad and the other is not. Just my opinion plus what the picture you posted shows.
I'm grateful for your knowledge. Is there a certain way to diagnose this.
It isn't loose or anything theres no play?
Sam

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Based solely on it's age and parts availability - I recommend you find a used gearbox and replace the entire unit or if you have the time and determination, remove the gear box, disassemble it, replace the bearings and inspect the output gear/hub - if there is a groove worn into the seal contact point and since the part is NLA, either try to find a speedy sleeve to press on the hub to cover the groove and provide a new sealing surface or take the gear/hub to a machine shop, have them TIG weld the seal contact surface and machine it back to spec.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Based solely on it's age and parts availability - I recommend you find a used gearbox and replace the entire unit or if you have the time and determination, remove the gear box, disassemble it, replace the bearings and inspect the output gear/hub - if there is a groove worn into the seal contact point and since the part is NLA, either try to find a speedy sleeve to press on the hub to cover the groove and provide a new sealing surface or take the gear/hub to a machine shop, have them TIG weld the seal contact surface and machine it back to spec.
When I took the seal part I checked for play in that spline output shaft and there was none I looked for any kinds of Burrs or marks in the metal and it was all smooth I don't find anything that would be causing this to leak the bearing on the inside looks just fine

·
Registered
253 Posts
Did you try spinning the opposite wheel to see if you may have a bent CV input sleeve in the gear case- I'm not sure of the exact verbiage of what the sleeve inside the gearcase is that the male part of the CV axle goes into but I gather you get what I am trying to relay. As I mentioned before it doesn't look centered to the seal or the bored hole in the aluminum casting of the case. That should be a good clue that something is wrong there.

·
Registered
844 Posts
When I took the seal part I checked for play in that spline output shaft and there was none I looked for any kinds of Burrs or marks in the metal and it was all smooth I don't find anything that would be causing this to leak the bearing on the inside looks just fine
It is obviously not fine. The seal lasts a couple miles. Look at the picture you posted! The output hub is way off center! You came here looking for answers but you aren't listening. You need to tear it down and replace some internal components

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is obviously not fine. The seal lasts a couple miles. Look at the picture you posted! The output hub is way off center! You came here looking for answers but you aren't listening. You need to tear it down and replace some internal components
OK is it very hard? I wasn't not taking advice. I'm new to all this. And it has had me baffled. Because th3 opposite side is perfect no damages or leaking on that side?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It also only leaks when riding. I cannot wipe it off then about every hour ish of riding it drips again. Wipe it off doesnt start leakin again for another hr or longer. Not when parked and not constant

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,493 Posts
Do you understand what MikeB said? If you look at the picture you posted the clearence at 5'oclock is less than the wide gap at 11'o clock

·
Registered
253 Posts
Do you understand what MikeB said? If you look at the picture you posted the clearence at 5'oclock is less than the wide gap at 11'o clock
The same damn thing I said in post #2, the same thing latebird said, now the same thing Mike_B is saying..

3 Different people are all saying the same thing and he's not getting it. We all led the horse to water but he refuses to drink..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok i just made this vid I can move the left "affected side cv axle but the sleeve does not wiggle w it
Axles kinda loose in therd its a brand new demon.
The right side doesn't have much play but there is no leak on the right sides seal. So if it was off center wouldn't it tear up both sides?
I might have got a weird angle in my pic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Could it be also the seal may not be the same depth all the way around.
It went in to far and i couldn't get that sidd out so I just tapped it around. Also its not flush like the opposite side that isn't leaking. The new cv moves inside the spline it doesnt on the opposite side.
It won't let me post a video....

·
Registered
253 Posts
Look - You've changed the seal a million damn times. What else is touching the seal- The sleeve that the CV input goes into. The issue is there. Its either worn so the seal cant seal around it, it could be slightly grooved out, or something is not centered anymore, or an internal bearing or bushing is bad.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts