Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about LEDs so do u gotta do a HID conversion or can u just get LED lightbulbs and put them in in place of ur original bulbs?

·
Registered
388 Posts
You need a conversion. ..not just a bulb change

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've seen with the kits there like 150 bucks for the sportsman xp and like 40 dollars for the rzr. What's the big difference?

·
Premium Member
10,585 Posts
bump. I'd like to through led's bulbs in place of the oem head lite bulbs. any suggested brands?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
bump. I'd like to through led's bulbs in place of the oem head lite bulbs. any suggested brands?
Polaris... The OEM LED headlights are an engineered LED and reflector assembly not light bulbs. They are not cheap.
The filament bulb reflectors are designed to focus a 270 degree light source. They are not designed for an already semi-focused light source like LEDs. The output from LED bulbs in filament reflectors will be less than halogen filament bulbs.
HID is the cheap solution. The downsides of HID are higher current draw and fragile ignitors that need a dry home.
I saved my pennies and bought LEDs.

From orbit via Android.

·
Premium Member
10,585 Posts
Polaris... The OEM LED headlights are an engineered LED and reflector assembly not light bulbs. They are not cheap.
The filament bulb reflectors are designed to focus a 270 degree light source. They are not designed for an already semi-focused light source like LEDs. The output from LED bulbs in filament reflectors will be less than halogen filament bulbs.
HID is the cheap solution. The downsides of HID are higher current draw and fragile ignitors that need a dry home.
I saved my pennies and bought LEDs.

From orbit via Android.
DAM u weren't joking I clicked on the link in ur sig and 450 beans for just the two headlites. that doesn't include the pod lite. maybe I just go for the xeon bulbs?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
High and low in those LED headlamp units. No pod bulb needed.
Extremely low current draw so you won't tax the 200watt stator.
Brighter than my buddies' HID setup. I lead at night he doesn't want to have me behind blinding him with the low beams.
Expensive as all getout.

From orbit via Android.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've seen those polaris Xeon blue bulbs on eBay also. Does anybody know anything about them?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ theyre not really worth the money IMO. either go for an HID conversion or save up for the LED assemblies.

I have HIDs in my 850, i like them, they light up everything. however i hate all the extra wiring and the possibility of ruining something with mud and water. i plan on saving up and buying the Polaris LED headlight's when i can.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The main reason I haven't got a hid kit is because of the chance of ruining them in water. I've noticed u can buy a hid kit for a 800 rzr for like $30 but one for the xp are 100 bucks or so. Will the rzr kit work on the xp?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ Different bulbs, i believe the RZR uses an H13 like the 05-10 Mustangs. you can just buy an 880 HID kit if you want to run HIDs in the low beam lights, im not sure what yo order for the pod.

880 HID kit | eBay

·
Premium Member
10,585 Posts
^ theyre not really worth the money IMO. either go for an HID conversion or save up for the LED assemblies.

I have HIDs in my 850, i like them, they light up everything. however i hate all the extra wiring and the possibility of ruining something with mud and water. i plan on saving up and buying the Polaris LED headlight's when i can.
Thanx for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The main reason I haven't got a hid kit is because of the chance of ruining them in water.
That's why I went with LED assemblies even at the extortionate price they're charging for them. No burnt out bulbs, ever, is a pretty good selling point too...

From orbit via Android.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Polaris Led's are worth the money. I had several sets of Hid's. The polaris led's are way brighter, and after having my hid's go out on several occasions I said screw it. As far as the pod light goes you dont even need it with the led's. It makes no difference when you turn it on. Thats how bright these lights are

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
^^Agreed.
Google Cree 6 LED. You can see the individual SMT LEDs in the Polaris lamp assemblies. That's what they look like.
There are some sick D-cell Maglight conversion videos on YouTube using a single Cree 6 LED on a heatsink with modified reflector.

From orbit via Android.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ Different bulbs, i believe the RZR uses an H13 like the 05-10 Mustangs. you can just buy an 880 HID kit if you want to run HIDs in the low beam lights, im not sure what yo order for the pod.

880 HID kit | eBay
So I can just order the 880 HID kit and it will work for my low beams? I'm not worried about the high beam I don't use it much anyway

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

880 HID kit | eBay
So I can just order the 880 HID kit and it will work for my low beams? I'm not worried about the high beam I don't use it much anyway
Would that work for a 850?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
944 Posts
Ace chassis questions?

a guy on the ACE forum is selling LEDs and posted this........

The Polaris factory LED are nice but at four hundred dollars and only 2500 lumens not a good value..(2) 4 1/2 inch squares LED 3600 lumens for $120.00 delivered..

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

880 HID kit | eBay
Would that work for a 850?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
^ I'm wondering the same thing

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I bought some LED lights....they are 27 watts each..1850 lumens each....I have not hooked them up yet to dam cold....but i tried them at night outside with hooking to a battery...WOW....bright white light...I can see the road out front and its 220 feet from porch...its liike daylight....I read about them on the candlepower.com forum...good site for lights..all kinds...the lights I got have a nice body..stainless brackets an hardware...they are made by totron but rebranded by tufflights....they were 48.00 shipped....i was just surprised how bright they were..cant wait till I can hook them up....LED is the way to go....some of the guys i ride with did the HID conversion...they are nice..but not wow factor..One guy has 2 12 " light bars and that was wow factor..he could light up a run way..lol....he dont use his regular lights..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts