Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a 12" cree led light bar. The installation wasnt bad except that I had practically 100 feet of wire to zip tie and get out of the way of everything. I noticed the light bar switch always stays lit up. Is that little light goin to drain the battery? And should I hook up a battery tender to help out?

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
The switch may be wired wrong. It should only light up when the light bar is on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The light kit was plug and play. It has a red and green light to show on and off.

·
Registered
134 Posts
oh ok sorry. May want to have power come off a source that is only active when the key "on" then.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes it will. The question of course is, how long will that take with that little led bulb? A week? A month? 2 months? I am a big fan of keeping my snowmobiles and atv plugged into a float charger. If you run your machine often and year round, I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
My PIAA lights also have red/green light on the switch/button. Only illuminates when key ignition is on. If yours is on all the time I bet you wired it wrong.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My PIAA lights also have red/green light on the switch/button. Only illuminates when key ignition is on. If yours is on all the time I bet you wired it wrong.
x2, should rewire to get power from a wire that is active in ACC-mode. Typically there are two ACC wires for accessories that are up in the front of the quad under the front rack near the pod. One is orange/white stripe and the other is orange but forgot what the stripe color is; either will work for your application.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I recently installed a 12" cree led light bar. The installation wasnt bad except that I had practically 100 feet of wire to zip tie and get out of the way of everything. I noticed the light bar switch always stays lit up. Is that little light goin to drain the battery? And should I hook up a battery tender to help out?
Does your winch work when the key is off?
If not tap into the hot wire for the rocker switch for your light switch.
Like others said it will likely be orange/white and under the front plastics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not good with wiring stuff up so I guess I'll just hook thr machine up to a battery tender until I find someone that can help me out...thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
39 Posts
looks awesome, does it affect airflow to your radiator?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just installed a led light bar on my 13 sportsman 850. You have it wired wrong you most likely had two wires that went to the battery both most likely red that you put to positive terminal. find the one that goes from the switch to the battery and put it to key on power you probably have 3 wires with black female connectors near the battery that will be key on power i don't remember the colors but all have a mine color and a tracer color if you have heated grips its what they plug into. the connectors are on the negative terminal side of the battery.
hope this helps mine did the same thing at first then changed it once i realized i needed key on power

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ teh Key on Power wires are Orange with a White Tracer

·
Registered
365 Posts
I know it hasn't been long, but how has the Cree light bar held up,so far?

I've been looking at the rigid industries ones, but can't see myself forking out $400 for something I only use at night, and I don't ride at night often..

If you could let me know how it's been working for ya, that would be sweet!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I know it haven't been long, but how has the Cree light bar held up,so far?

I've been looking at the rigid industries ones, but can't see myself forking out $400 for something I only use at night, and I don't ride at night often..

The RI lights are much, much higher quality than the chi-com ebay units. Better reliability, Deutsche connectors, gor-tex vent valves, higher quality and better designed reflectors... list goes on and on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The light bar has held up nicely. Put her through her paces and it held up no problems.

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I know it hasn't been long, but how has the Cree light bar held up,so far?

Been using China ebay HID's, bulbs, LED light bars, LED work lights, etc for years. The price is low enough I'll take the occasional failures comprated to spending 4x more

I picked up a 40watt light bat that is 8in across for $60 shipped on ebay. Looks like the $600 unit polaris has, but just 2 less LED's and smaller. ((the cheap china version that is 60watt was $110))

·
Registered
44 Posts
I installed one of superbrightleds.com LED light bars and the quality is excellent and if you purchase the additional LED Light Wiring Harness with Switch and relay for a extra $16.95 it made the install pretty easy.
I had to solder two wires and heat shrink the wires, drill a hole for the lighted switch and hook the red & black leads to the battery terminals. Pretty straight forward.

I did some research on LED lighting and you want at least IP67 waterproof rating or higher. The LED light link below has a IP68 rating.. The prices are excellent from these guys..

12" Heavy Duty Off Road LED Light - 72W | Off Road Light Bars | LED Work Light & Off Road LED Light Bars | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs

Torture test
The light that gets cut with the chop saw is the light I purchased.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Mr60MiME4

Hope any of this info helps..

Attachments

Reactions: Corbett1973

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
hmmmm for $80-$150 I can get a 30" LED light bar for my roof rack on my SUV. OR I can spend $1200+ tax on that to get a Rigid... I'm sorry the Rigid Products are not worth 10x as much. Even if there are failures.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts