Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whelp...got me a great deal on a light bar so I couldn't just walk away. Now the problem I have is how and where to mount it. I purchased a couple of lengths of different flat aluminum bar to try and fab up my own bracket...only to quickly lose interest in that idea.

I'm thinking about just mounting it to the front lid and using a 1" wide by 1/8" thick flat bar mounted to the backside of the lid to reinforce it so I won't have to worry about cracking the lid and should be able to tighten it up nicely. I snapped a few pics of it mocked up.

Tell me what y'all think...has anyone done this successfully? IE: did you crack your lid?

Oh and do reference it is a 20" light bar.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you got the OEM front rack extention one could easily mount it upside down under the rail... I dont know if that makes sense but what I see in my head would be pretty badass. Only thing thatd stop you from doing that might be the fact its 20''

·
Registered
227 Posts
Whelp...got me a great deal on a light bar so I couldn't just walk away. Now the problem I have is how and where to mount it. I purchased a couple of lengths of different flat aluminum bar to try and fab up my own bracket...only to quickly lose interest in that idea.

I'm thinking about just mounting it to the front lid and using a 1" wide by 1/8" thick flat bar mounted to the backside of the lid to reinforce it so I won't have to worry about cracking the lid and should be able to tighten it up nicely. I snapped a few pics of it mocked up.

Tell me what y'all think...has anyone done this successfully? IE: did you crack your lid?

Oh and do reference it is a 20" light bar.

I mounted mine on lid (12" light bar) no problems. Just make sure you check underside oflid to make sure there will not be a problem when closing. I had to put mine about 2-3" futher back than your pic shows to clear storage lip.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Which front bumper is that? Looks good!
Looks like my ATV Guru bumper.
John will weld on custom light bar mounts, before powder coat, if you ask.

From orbit on my Android.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I personally would mount it to the bumper, grind off the tacks that hold on that expanded metal in one of the slots, and place it in there, cut the expanded metal so it just fits around the light bar, and tack it back on. And hit it with some paint. I don't like the look of it sitting in the open on the front rack like that... But it's your quad and you may love how it looks! That's just my opinion

Edit: it looks like it will barely fit in the opening above your winch? Will be really snug though

·
Registered
860 Posts
This is what John from ATV-GURU can do for you!!! Provided the light bar fits...

20150121_150544.jpg

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yup! John does great work!

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the replies! Especially the one that made me check the placement of the light...yeah it would have hit right on the seal so I either have to move it back (which I don't particularly care for) or look at a different way/location to mount it.

I don't mind it being in the open on the top like it is, I just don't want to have to mount it all the way back. I have looked into mounting it on the bumper and I have a few ideas for that. I won't cut and re-weld John's work..the finish of the bumper is great and I won't destroy it intentionally. I think if I work it right I can mount the light to the front of the bumper, through the expanded metal (and if I work it right I can make a simple bracket that will use the bumper for support).

I didn't have this light before hand and to be honest it really wont fit in any of the slots. Plus I do not want it to block off the air flow to the radiator on this thing. They already run hot and I live in Texas...nuff said...

If it is not protected by the bumper I am ok with that...If I run into something then the light might protect the bumper who knows??? Honestly the light cost me a 1/3 of the bumper soooooo it can go first :werd:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Something like that wouldn't last long on my Sportsman, unless it was well protected from the brush, branches, small trees and all the other stuff I plow over.

Note to tree huggers: Don't get your panties in a wad, I ride on my own property.

·
Registered
243 Posts
This is what John from ATV-GURU can do for you!!! Provided the light bar fits...

View attachment 24159
Hey Kazoo, what is the exact brand and size of that light bar? I actually just ordered a guru front bumper/brushgaurd for my 570 and really like the look of what you did, so I'm thinking of doing the same, my only concern is it blocking air flow to the rad. But if I order that same light bar maybe you could tell me the mesurments and I can just call john and ask for the mounts.

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts

View attachment 24159
Hey Kazoo, what is the exact brand and size of that light bar? I actually just ordered a guru front bumper/brushgaurd for my 570 and really like the look of what you did, so I'm thinking of doing the same, my only concern is it blocking air flow to the rad. But if I order that same light bar maybe you could tell me the mesurments and I can just call john and ask for the mounts.
Check your PM'S.....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looks good, would you guys order that Guru bumper with or without mesh, will it block too much light? Looking at them and pretty sure that is the one I am going with. Gonna get a 12" Cree

·
Registered
860 Posts
Cree doesn't make light bars, only components......

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have Guru bumpers with full mesh and Polaris LED headlamps. It makes very little difference in the light output.
John will add tabs etc for light bar mounts if you ask and have some idea what you want.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts