Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2008 Sportsman 500. It has the Polaris brush guard and a Polaris winch installed. I'm looking to install either a pair of Kolpin/Ridgid duallys or a 10" LED light bar. I ride in the woods and need to make sure the lights have some protection from branches and saplings. In the middle of the brush guard would be a great location, but I don't want the lights to get in the way of the winch. I'd like to see where others have installed theirs.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I just installed a 15" combo led light bar on my brush guard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sickpup - I'd love to do the same, but on my 2008, the winch mounts in the opening where you have your light bar. I'm afraid that if I try to mount any lights in the same opening, the winch cable could come into contact with the light when winching out of a jam.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You could mount it ontop of the brush guard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was thinking about doing that, but I didn't know if it would get damaged up there. I suppose that I use something quality like a Ridgid it should be ok. I'd like to see if anyone else has done this before I do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This isn't the best picture, but my machine is at the dealer right now getting a new belt installed.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I got mine off ebay for $115 shipped. Its high quality and really rugged. Unless you crash into a tree or something I doubt a couple of branches will hurt it.

You might even be able mount it upside down under the top bar of your brush guard just above your fairlead.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/151164539724?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have a pic of the light installed with the light turned off that shows what the installation looks like? Below the top bar of the brush guard above the fairlead might be an option for me.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've never seen it, is it possible to mount lights on the vertical flat part of the bumper? One on each side of the winch? Might work for plowing as the winch is straight out in front of the machine. Probably wouldn't work out well if you had to winch from the side a bit.

How about mounting a light bar on the top bar, upside down? When you need to use your winch just roll it up out of the way?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don't right now but I will take one tonight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ChickenHawk - Mounting upside down above the winch might work. I've never seen lights mounted to the side plates. I was hoping someone on here might have already come up with a solution.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thats super clean but too bad it didnt fit in behind that expanded metal section of your bumper, that would protect your investment

·
Registered
112 Posts
1. Investment is like $110, so not that bad...

2. It is actually located above and behind the front of the Guru bumper. I hit a tree full front, a couple of weeks back, never touched the light. The Guru took the whole contact...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Online. It's one of these no-name Chinese and puts out a ton of light.. .

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Link?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Drilled into the hard plastic and used two bolts and nuts on each side. 5 minutes exactly. Wired to power and switch on the light pod.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts